Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Release Candidate (Beta #6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p00_beta6.zip

IF UPDATING FROM A PREVIOUS BETA AND USING AXE-EDIT BE SURE TO RUN "REFRESH AFTER FIRMWARE UPDATE".

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved Amp block triode algorithm.

Improved Spring Reverb algorithm:
  • New algorithm is based on a digital waveguide with scattering nodes. This algorithm achieves accurate spring reproduction recreating the iconic “drip” and flutter of classic spring tanks.
  • There are two internal Spring Reverb types. The type can be selected using the Tank Type parameter. This parameter defaults to the appropriate type based on the model.
  • The first type has all the springs in parallel. This is used by the British Spring and Studio Spring models. This is equivalent to an Accutronics Type 8 reverb tank.
  • The second type has a pair of springs in series in parallel with one or more pairs of springs in series. This is equivalent to an Accutronics Type 4 (four springs) or Type 9 (six springs).
  • For the second Spring Reverb type the reflection off the junction between the coupled springs is controlled by the Scattering parameter. Vintage Accutronics reverb tanks exhibit more reflection off the junction than modern, Asian-made reverb tanks.
  • The “Drip” parameter controls the dispersion of the springs.
  • The various models have different tone controls.
  • Several new models have been added. The Tube Spring model is based on a 6G15 Tube Reverb and has an authentic tone control. Studio Spring is a hypothetical spring reverb with six long springs in parallel.
  • Note that the Modulation parameters have been removed as they are not compatible with the new algorithm.
  • Existing presets using Spring Reverb types are reset to default values. Audition as necessary.
Improved Reverb block early reflections. As a result, the default values of Early Level and Late Level for the models have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values. Audition as necessary. The Early and Late Level parameters have also been removed from the Basic page of the Reverb block.

Added “Pre-Delay Tap” parameter to Reverb block. This selects the input to the reverb engine. When set to OUTPUT the behavior is as before. When set to INPUT the initial delay is absent. This allows more natural “Echo-Verb” sounds. This is now the default for these types of models and existing presets are automatically updated.

New Plate Reverb algorithm. This new algorithm captures the dispersion (Star Wars™ Laser “pew, pew” sound) and unique stereo imaging of classic plate reverbs. Dispersion is adjustable via the Dispersion parameter. Typical plates are around 25-50%. Set to higher values to exaggerate the effect. Stereo imaging is adjustable via the Pickup Spacing parameter.

Updated many of the Reverb models. Existing presets are not affected. Reselecting the model will load the new default values.

Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS.

Added JS410 Lead Green amp model.

Added Pitch High Cut parameter to Reverb block. This can be used to darken/brighten the pitch-shifted component of the reverb.

Added Smoothing parameter to Cabinet block in Dyna-Cab mode.

Improved channel switching speed. Amp and Cabinet block channel switching times, in particular, are much improved. This, in turn, improves preset and scene switching times.

Preset, scene and channel changes are now gapless, if desired. A global parameter (Setup->Global Settings->Gapless Changes) allow turning this feature on or off.

Fixed NaN could occur in Euro Uber model at certain combinations of Presence and Speaker Impedance.

Various other fixes and improvements.

The new beta fixed the issue I had with changing scenes and getting the sound of a pitched reverb between changes. Thank you Cliff and co
I noticed after your post on beta 5 the thread disappeared. That might have been the reason Cliff ended it.

Some info for anyone who isn't actively downloading these betas and waiting for the final release. Here is a list of all the new reverb types:
  1. British Spring
  2. Echo Pitch Plate
  3. Fields Of Pyrite
  4. Gold Plate
  5. Marble Hall
  6. Mausoleum
  7. Mechanic's Hall
  8. Nashville Church
  9. St. Albans Cathedral
  10. St. George's Church
  11. Studio Spring
  12. Tube Spring
  13. Vibrato-King Spring
  14. Warehouse
  15. York Minster Cathedral
Looks like the following got new names or replaced:
  1. Large Cathedral
  2. Medium Cathedral
  3. Rich Hall
  4. Small Cathedral

Last edited:
Some info for anyone who isn't actively downloading these betas and waiting for the final release here is a list of all the new reverb types:
  1. British Spring
  2. Echo Pitch Plate
  3. Fields Of Pyrite
  4. Gold Plate
  5. Marble Hall
  6. Mausoleum
  7. Mechanic's Hall
  8. Nashville Church
  9. St. Albans Cathedral
  10. St. George's Church
  11. Studio Spring
  12. Tube Spring
  13. Vibrato-King Spring
  14. Warehouse
  15. York Minster Cathedral
Looks like the following got new names or replaced:
  1. Large Cathedral
  2. Medium Cathedral
  3. Rich Hall
  4. Small Cathedral
OMG that's insane

OMG that's insane
yeah, as I was making the list i was like
Episode 7 Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC

The new reverbs are beyond satisfying, I love them. Any deets on the triode algorithm improvement?

I didn't do an A/B, but I really felt that the really dynamic amps just have a beauty, a smoothness to them that was even easier to dial in than before. The ones I was really focused on were the Orange AD30 Dirty channel the 6CA7 Plexi. It could be placebo, but it really did feel that way to me. The thing about that improvement is, it would pretty much affect all the models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom