Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Release Candidate (Beta #6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I wanted to make sure, there was no delay either when you switched presets using per preset overrides in factory layout 6? Because it was seamless for me too, the difference was a delay in loading the new preset.
No delay here. It switches presets the instant I touch the switch. And just to clarify, factory Layout 6 has Per Preset Placeholders, not overrides. I did test both though, and they both switched presets normally for me.

Do you have a hold function assigned in the Per Preset definition? If so it will fire on release and not press and can appear to have a delay.

I am not sure, if this is bug only for this fw, but sat switch when set to ON (not ideal) works differently than it used to.

What I mean by that.. if you load say brit 800 and set the sat switch ON with value to 4, there is not that much of an effect, than it used to be a few fw back. also when you crank the value to 10, there isn´t as much of an effect as used to be.

It can be heard when you set the same value and switch between ON and ON IDEAL.
On IDEAL there is a lot more effect (and actually how it used to be for ON setting).
It should have the same amount of drive between ON and ON ideal, with only difference being that ON will have volume reduction.
There hasn't been any changes to the sat switch in many months (probably years).

No delay here. It switches presets the instant I touch the switch. And just to clarify, factory Layout 6 has Per Preset Placeholders, not overrides. I did test both though, and they both switched presets normally for me.

Do you have a hold function assigned in the Per Preset definition? If so it will fire on release and not press and can appear to have a delay.

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. On switch one in Layout 6 I programmed per preset override #1 to switch presets; I do know about the placeholders, and when I use Layout 6 I always program a proper override for the switches I'm using. Good thought with checking for Hold functions, but I don't have any.

You don't need to program overrides on Layout 6. The placeholders are already there. All you need to do is define your PP# functions and they automatically populate to their respective placeholders.

I don't think I saw this addressed in the thread yet and I apologize if I missed it. In the attached preset I use cab slot 1 and play a chord and get the tone that is there then I switch to cab slot 3 using the same IR and the tone changes dramatically. I have the speaker impedance curve set to LB-2 UK by default. I don't know what is going on and the best way I can describe it is it loses a lot of low end. Can someone try the preset and see if they have the same issue. I apologize for the output 2 on the out, I forgot to change it to 1 before I saved the preset.

Attachments

• 5150 Rhythm.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I found the problem! When I reset my system and reset the FC12 to factory settings, I didn't notice that, for some reason, Layout 6 is set up by default ot have the same placeholder set up for each switch both as a Tap and a Hold! So your instinct was right, @mr_fender, I know for sure that before my reset that I had all the Hold functions unassigned for Layout 6, and I must've forgotten that this is not how it comes from the factory.

Here is my definition, pretty straightforward:

Per Preset Definition.jpg

But here is Layout 6, Switch 1, as Reset to Factory Settings:

Layout 6 Factory Reset.jpg

Having the same per preset placeholder for both Tap and Hold on the same switch, regardless of the fact that I have no hold programmed in its definition, makes the Hold function override the Tap function in practice, just as you said. Manually programming the hold function to be Unassigned makes it function as intended.

I'm not sure of a situation in which one could use the same placeholder in both the Tap and Hold slots. I experimented further and programmed my Switch 1 Hold definition to be the Tuner, and that worked as intended, with the Hold function in the global Layout 6 left Unassigned. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, @Admin M@, it might be better to change the Factory Reset to leave all the Hold functions of Layout 6 as Unassigned.

So in short, resetting my system as well as the FC12 to factory settings, then Unassigning the global function of the Layout 6 switch fixed everything. There was no bug at all, and part of this was my assumption about the factory states. Hopefully this will help anyone else who runs into weirdness with Per Preset functions.

Thanks to the FC engineer, Matt @Admin M@, and @mr_fender for looking into this!

I don't think I saw this addressed in the thread yet and I apologize if I missed it. In the attached preset I use cab slot 1 and play a chord and get the tone that is there then I switch to cab slot 3 using the same IR and the tone changes dramatically. I have the speaker impedance curve set to LB-2 UK by default. I don't know what is going on and the best way I can describe it is it loses a lot of low end. Can someone try the preset and see if they have the same issue. I apologize for the output 2 on the out, I forgot to change it to 1 before I saved the preset.

If you're changing channels in the cab block to change the cabs, channels A, B, and C all have different cabs selected on slot 3.

Last edited:
I found the problem! When I reset my system and reset the FC12 to factory settings, I didn't notice that, for some reason, Layout 6 is set up by default ot have the same placeholder set up for each switch both as a Tap and a Hold! So your instinct was right, @mr_fender, I know for sure that before my reset that I had all the Hold functions unassigned for Layout 6, and I must've forgotten that this is not how it comes from the factory.

Here is my definition, pretty straightforward:

View attachment 129374

But here is Layout 6, Switch 1, as Reset to Factory Settings:

View attachment 129375

Having the same per preset placeholder for both Tap and Hold on the same switch, regardless of the fact that I have no hold programmed in its definition, makes the Hold function override the Tap function in practice, just as you said. Manually programming the hold function to be Unassigned makes it function as intended.

I'm not sure of a situation in which one could use the same placeholder in both the Tap and Hold slots. I experimented further and programmed my Switch 1 Hold definition to be the Tuner, and that worked as intended, with the Hold function in the global Layout 6 left Unassigned. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, @Admin M@, it might be better to change the Factory Reset to leave all the Hold functions of Layout 6 as Unassigned.

So in short, resetting my system as well as the FC12 to factory settings, then Unassigning the global function of the Layout 6 switch fixed everything. There was no bug at all, and part of this was my assumption about the factory states. Hopefully this will help anyone else who runs into weirdness with Per Preset functions.

Thanks to the FC engineer, Matt @Admin M@, and @mr_fender for looking into this!

The downside to leaving the Layout 6 switches' hold functions unassigned by default is then none of the hold functions people define in their PP#'s will work on those switches and it won't be obvious why.

it might be better to change the Factory Reset to leave all the Hold functions of Layout 6 as Unassigned.
The benefit of having it unassigned is solely for the function to happen faster (on downstroke of switch) but you lose the double function (tap and hold). The Hold function is important for starting out so I think it should stay assigned. Once someone knows they want to trade options for speed, they can unassign it themselves.

The downside to leaving the Layout 6 switches' hold functions unassigned by default is then none of the hold functions people define in their PP#'s will work on those switches and it won't be obvious why.

The benefit of having it unassigned is solely for the function to happen faster (on downstroke of switch) but you lose the double function (tap and hold). The Hold function is important for starting out so I think it should stay assigned. Once someone knows they want to trade options for speed, they can unassign it themselves.

Mr Fender and Chris, That's not what I'm seeing here. Give it a try to Unassign the global Layout 6 Switch 1 Hold, then assign a Hold function to PP#1, and it will work. See, when I programmed global Layout 6 Switch 1 Hold to Unassigned but then programmed the Tap and the Hold of PP#1, the Hold worked just fine. There was no need at all to use the Hold definition in the global Layout Hold assignment; that only confused things. What I'm saying is that programming the Placeholder to the global Layout Switch 1 Tap allows PP#1 work as both Tap and Hold, but programming the Placeholder to the Hold also does nothing but override your Tap entirely!

I wrote that last response poorly, so I'm tightening that up here:

The assumption is that you need the Hold function of Layout 6 to be specifically assigned for the Hold to work, but it doesn't; your Layout 6 Switch 1 Tap and unassigned Hold with PP#1 Tap and Hold programmed will work as the Tap and Hold programmed in PP#1.

@Admin M@, it might be better to change the Factory Reset to leave all the Hold functions of Layout 6 as Unassigned.
So it seems that this is not a bug, but a setting that did not agree with you. We'll look at those default settings in Layout 6 and see if they should be changed. In any case, let's move this conversation to a private message to try to keep the beta 6 thread uncluttered now.

Mr Fender and Chris, That's not what I'm seeing here. Give it a try to Unassign the global Layout 6 Switch 1 Hold, then assign a Hold function to PP#1, and it will work. See, when I programmed global Layout 6 Switch 1 Hold to Unassigned but then programmed the Tap and the Hold of PP#1, the Hold worked just fine. There was no need at all to use the Hold definition in the global Layout Hold assignment; that only confused things. What I'm saying is that programming the Placeholder to the global Layout Switch 1 Tap allows PP#1 work as both Tap and Hold, but programming the Placeholder to the Hold also does nothing but override your Tap entirely!
to my knowledge it is not supposed to work like that. you must be using Overrides specifically, which can be used on any layout and fully replaces what's originally on the switch - that would explain Hold working as you describe. in the past, a PP# switch needed the Hold function set to the same PP# in order to work, unless that has changed.

i'll agree with matt and end the topic here, maybe starting a new thread or talking to the devs to focus on the beta. thanks.

Last edited:
If you're changing channels in the cab block to change the cabs, channels A, B, and C all have different cabs selected on slot 3.
The issue I'm having does it on all the channels. I just used the stock IR's for the preset channel A so that it worked for everyone. On the other channels they are 3rd party IR's.

On my FC-12 (mark 1), removing the Placeholder function from hold stops the PP# hold from working like Chris said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom