Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I was planning to update the JS410 Crunch models as well but my wife got Covid so I've retreated to our "cabin by the lake". When I get back home I'll finish the updates. I wanted to get the firmware into your grubby hands so you could test things out.

I've had covid at least twice. Taking all the recommended vitamins and supplements before getting it each time. One secret weapon that I found to speed recovery... grapefruit juice. Nothing else seemed to make much difference.

Potential Bug: Smoothing in Dyna Cab is very abrupt. The difference between 0.00 and 0.01 is huge. That difference in Legacy is inaudible.
I noticed this also - the sound changes very quickly with very little increment on the knob and with what looks like very little change on the wave form. I was also surprised how bright the tone got as smoothing is increased but maybe thats normal (I've not previously used smoothing much).

Hmm, wondering if I'm doing anything wrong, certainly have gaps here when switching scenes.
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 13.52.01.png

Audio:

Confirmed 23.00 on the Axe itself, and of course did the "Refresh after new firmware".

It's a Mk 1 III.

Any ideas gentlemen?

EDIT: fixed, I'm an idiot today 🤣

Last edited:
I did a live stream this morning using the new firmware, dialing some tones and testing gapless preset switching.

Waiting on the SPDIF fix to install, so I have to live vicariously through YouTube for now.

Dude, the smile on your face while you're tweaking that preset says it all. GAPLESS!!! :cool:

I noticed this also - the sound changes very quickly with very little increment on the knob and with what looks like very little change on the wave form. I was also surprised how bright the tone got as smoothing is increased but maybe thats normal (I've not previously used smoothing much).

I used to use Smoothing for every preset, so I'm really used to the behavior. In the Legacy mode, it's a very gradual thing; you often are better off using the effect sparingly, just enough to remove whatever you find undesirable, but no more. If you go too far, it starts losing too much character and begins to sound like a high setting of the Air parameter, mixing in the cabless signal, even though that's not what it's actually doing. With Legacy smoothing, you can go as subtly as you want, and that's a good thing; the changes are very gradual.

But with this public beta, it sounds like it jumps to a pretty high smoothing with Dyna Cabs right away, and gets even higher. There's just no way to set it subtly. After playing with it some more, I'm sure it's just a small bug. I don't know if it occurs with all Dyna Cabs though; I forgot to check. I was too digging the tones!

Last edited:
I’m amazed at the difference to the Plexis.

I loved them before but so much crisper now and you can get a fatter bottom end with high end definition.

JS Green channel does great AC/DC too!

I also jumped on that green quite a bit last night for some Plexified goodness. You're totally right! Really, I think all the channels of this amp are awesome now. It went from one that just disagreed with my guitar to yet another monstrous amp.

Ran through a bunch of presets. Amazing, it works great.

GAPLESS > SPEECHLESS.
I am so excited by this. I will now be able to run pedals infront of amps in stereo switching between models during songs. Get in!!!

Potential Bug: Smoothing in Dyna Cab is very abrupt. The difference between 0.00 and 0.01 is huge. That difference in Legacy is inaudible.
I thought the same thing when I was using more than one speaker cabinet. When I did smoothing on both of them it wasn't drastic at all. I don't know what is going on but it sounds like that first 0.1 is changing like the align feature at 50. I did find that once I dialed in both cabs it worked just fine

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p00_beta1.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved Amp block triode algorithm.

Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS.

Added JS410 Lead Green amp model.

Added Pitch High Cut parameter to Reverb block. This can be used to darken/brighten the pitch-shifted component of the reverb.

Added Smoothing parameter to Cabinet block in Dyna-Cab mode.

Preset, Scene and Channel changes are now gapless.

NOTE: Seamless switching is currently not implemented on the USB and SPDIF/AES outputs due to a "programming oversight" :p
This! Cant wait to run this! ❤️❤️

I thought the same thing when I was using more than one speaker cabinet. When I did smoothing on both of them it wasn't drastic at all. I don't know what is going on but it sounds like that first 0.1 is changing like the align feature at 50. I did find that once I dialed in both cabs it worked just fine

Interesting. I tried it with only one slot unmuted in the Dyna Cab section with my usual trim length of 512, otherwise with the block at default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom