Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Release

Without the 125ms delay there was a burst/glitch when changing. It's not that I like it, I just didn't want the noise, and that cured it.

Oh I gotcha. I thought the glitch was from the channel change only, but I guess it happens also if you set the boost modifier to a lower damping. I guess you could also throw in a drive or filter block instead of the boost if you had CPU enough. Then you could use a Multiplexer or Mixer Block and have the same effect without the glitch, I'm thinking.

get the input clip warning now if I hit open E really hard (not normal chugging)

CC says: "Don't do that."

JK! if it's really rare, don't worry a hair about it. But if you need to worry about it, turn it down so it never clips.

Reactions: Rex
I occasionally get the input clip warning now if I hit open E really hard (not normal chugging). Do I just adjust Input AD Sensitivity down until it never happens or is occasionally fine?? Passive JBs
If it helps, I primarily use JBs and have to set my Input A/D Sensitivity around 10% to avoid the clip warning.

I smash the strings super hard all the way across to try and trigger it because sometimes i actually hit the strings like that when playing live. If you don’t play that aggressively, it may not be necessary to go that low.

Cab blocks can be non-linear or linear, and it depends on whether the pre-amp in the block is adding any distortion IIRC, because distortion is non-linear. There’s probably some other parameters that can affect that, but I like to pretend that I’m using really modern and clean mics.

Another thought just occurred to me as a potential workaround: put an IR Player Block going into a Cab Block, switch Channels for different IRs on the IR Player, but do not on the Cab Block, and use the Cab Block for the Mic Preamp only. That way you have the character of the mic pre that doesn't change, but the gaplessness of the IR Player Channel switching.

I did a test just now, and that worked: You keep one Cab Block on Channel A in every Scene, loading the totally flat IR, Factory 2 #1024, setting the Mic Pre to High Quality and adjust Gain and Saturation to taste. Now set two IR Player Blocks in parallel feeding into it. You can use a Multiplexer here if you want too. Now you can have eight different IR Player Channels, gapless, going into the one Cab Block. It does work.

But I love the Dyna Cabs!

So I'm going to revert to the idea I had been using most recently before this official release, and still forgoing Channels. I did some side by side testing, and although the Channel switching is so damn fast, it's still not the same as the Multiplexer, Mixer, and Scene Controller method. So I think I'll revert to have two identical rows of two parallel Drive Blocks feeding into one Amp Block and one Cab Block. If I'm on the top row, I start selecting whichever drive, amp and cab channel I want on the bottom row while I'm still playing, then, when I want to switch, just hit that last Multiplexer or Mixer Block before the Output Block to make the completely seamless change. This allows for the use of everything, and is the most gapless method. For complete craziness, you can use Scene Ignore on every Block that allows it, and use Scene Controllers on top of that for one hell of a versatile gapless preset. If I calculate it correctly, you could go the most crazy with it this way, so that for one row you have 9 drives (two drive blocks, with four channels each, including bypass of both for no drive at all) X 4 Amps (one amp block with four channels, X 7 cabs with a mic pre (4 IR Player channels, plus 3 more IR in a cab block, with its fourth channel set to the Totally Flat IR, with the Mic Pre set to taste for all seven IRs) = 9 X 4 X 7 = 262 gapless tones.

So of course that's ludicrous, but it just shows the limitlessness of this. I'm keeping this post in this thread because it is relevant to the faster Channel switching, and I'll quote it in my gapless thread.

By the way, I know what I describing requires a lot of manual tap dancing, but if Eric Johnson can do it, so can I!

DynaCab will have long legs. In fact, the first DynaCab Cab Packs are just about ready for beta testing.
Amazing! Just curious, are these in house packs or 3rd party packs? Will these packs be compatible with all versions of the Axe III and how will they utilize space on the Axe?

I wonder if things will eventually get to a point where there is a dynacab for each impedance curve response (minus the load boxes). 👀

Back
Top Bottom