Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity: what hardware units do the folks experiencing input clipping issues have? I am running the mk I without issues. Is there a chance this issue is specific to mk II and/or Turbo or are fellow mk I owners also experiencing input clipping at extremely low A/D levels?

I don't know if everyone understands how much of difference this makes...

Ya sure you can move the mics around the speakers and find your sweet spot which is wayyyy preferred over searching through IRs, sure you can mix different mics cabs and positions without risk of phase issues which is amazing and then you use the align (also in cm) if you want that natural phase...

But the real cake on top of the cake.... Is the fact that now the SIC matches the cab perfectly and because of that everything just works better; from the speaker compression, thump and drive, to the amp controls, to the preamp in the cab block. Everything. Just. Works. Better. And everything works as expected.

Try this Deluxe Tweed + tweed cab set to your liking then crank the speaker compression and turn up the constant I like 3150 or so and play notice how it almost sounds synthy with the attack getting cut off but it's not a synth... I turned the comp back down to 5 or so and then got lost playing for an hour.

Just out of curiosity: what hardware units do the folks experiencing input clipping issues have? I am running the mk I without issues. Is there a chance this issue is specific to mk II and/or Turbo or are fellow mk I owners also experiencing input clipping at extremely low A/D levels?
Sup?

Axe-III MKI I am currently at 11% with a Fishman Fluence Modern. 12% got me the warning on full hard ringing open D chords and hard chugs,,,11% don't. I must have been slamming the input prior:eek::D as my sitting was around 75%. It would hit the red just abit,, the have a yellow for 6 seconds.......lol

MOSHON
DAVE

I was curious how moving the Position from the cap to edge affected the IR (4X12 Friedman V30 with a Condenser) so I collected some data and made this...

The graph shows how the IR sounds as we move from the cap to the edge of the speaker comparatively to the cap position.

The graph is smoothed in psychoacoustics

"Psychoacoustic smoothing uses 1/3 octave below 100Hz, 1/6 octave above 1 kHz and varies from 1/3 octave to 1/6 octave between 100 Hz and 1 kHz. It also applies more weighting to peaks by using a cubic mean (cube root of the average of the cubed values) to produce a plot that more closely corresponds to the perceived frequency response"

View attachment 118385

Better to use ears not eyes while adjusting this parameter but I thought I'd share this just to help make an informed decision graphically and aurally!

(atleast for this specific speaker/mic combo, 4X12 Friedman V30 with a Condenser)

If you combine the psychacoustics with psychonautics does that graph turn into the Dark Side Of The Moon cover?

If so, I’m totally down with putting shrooms in my AxeFX.

Not sure what I think about the input level. I had to set it to 3.9% with my PRS SVN to clear the warning (plugged straight into the front panel instrument input). It has passive pickups, much less hot than my Fluence equipped Schecter. When I recorded the DI, it peaked at -6.9 dB and there were no squared off wave forms so that should be good, yes? It looked a little anemic in the editor though, and is much less RMS than other DI's I have acquired from artists and producers. I guess by comparison it is hotter than my J48 with pad engaged (can't use without pad with this guitar) coming in around -11 dB.

this is nuts. I just played with my Deluxe Reverb preset that uses a blend of regular and fullRes IRs and swapped them out for one single DynaCab IR.
Either I am just absolutely shit at mixing IRs or these new IRs are just a total game changer. It felt much more open, realistic and organic.

Not sure what I think about the input level. I had to set it to 3.9% with my PRS SVN to clear the warning (plugged straight into the front panel instrument input). It has passive pickups, much less hot than my Fluence equipped Schecter. When I recorded the DI, it peaked at -6.9 dB and there were no squared off wave forms so that should be good, yes? It looked a little anemic in the editor though, and is much less RMS than other DI's I have acquired from artists and producers. I guess by comparison it is hotter than my J48 with pad engaged (can't use without pad with this guitar) coming in around -11 dB.
It's quite common to see the gain boosted on a DI when it is recorded via an audio interface. That's what you've seen when receiving a DI from others. It's necessary to adjust that downward when re-amping with such a DI to compensate. On the other hand, a DI recorded through a modeler like an Axe-FX is "raw", meaning no gain has been applied to it when it was recorded, and no gain will need to be applied to it when re-amping. Also, if you're seeing a level of -11dBFS, you've boosted the gain and you're not recording a "raw" DI.

But...the level of your recorded DI has nothing to do with the input sensitivity setting.

MK1 here as well. My weakest guitar’s single coils clip all the time, even with AD sensitivity down in the single digits.

At the beginning of my playing session yesterday I clipped at around 47% with my medium output Duncan Saturday Night Specials; I decided to revisit the I/O page hours later due to the comments, and I got the warning as I hit the high 80s. I’m wondering if the clip warning could take some time before it acts more in line with the LEDs.

Mine is the MkII Turbo

this is nuts. I just played with my Deluxe Reverb preset that uses a blend of regular and fullRes IRs and swapped them out for one single DynaCab IR.
Either I am just absolutely shit at mixing IRs or these new IRs are just a total game changer. It felt much more open, realistic and organic.

so nice

Attachments

• Deluxe Reverb dynaCab test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom