Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta #3 (Beta 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is a joke, but so as not to confuse new folks, just bypass the cab block, or if you play only acoustics with this preset, don't include a cab block in the first place.
No the built in factory TOTALLY FLAT serves this purpose for those of us that use acoustic instruments.
I know I use this one.

The generic naming of the mics seems to be intentional and which one is which likely won't be disclosed
no-one knows but I'm guessing this is not the way it will go. As I mention above, I suspect we'll be able to mix dynacabs in Cablab4 with identified mics and then port into the onboard cabs and generic mic slots (so we'll know (or can know) what actual mic we're using). We'll see. Whatever the final picture is, I'm sure I'll be saying "K, now I get it" - as has been the case many times before for me, with Fractal stuff.

Why does it seem that the idea of simply using whichever mic sounds best, regardless of name, such a difficult concept to grasp?
Not difficult to grasp, and ya, totally workable though, again, I'm skeptical we'll ultimately end up generic naming only, with no way to know the specific mic in use. My question in response would be: why would someone not grasp the value in knowing what mic was actually used in capturing some awesome IRs to work with in the product?, particularly when the specific mics that were actually used, are benchmark mics (ie 57, SM7) where peeps generally know what they are, how they tend to sound, what they tend to do well/not well, and how they tend to react/perform..., and so can skip the discovery time. Seems to me, revealing specific mic names only adds value, by tapping into existing knowledge - there's no downside I can think of - it's added information (seems it could be harder not to reveal). One need look no further than these beta threads to see that people identify with, and easily understand the specific mics (57, 121...) - most of the related posts here are talking about and referring to specific mics because that's what people understand and know. They're all tryin to guess what specific mic is behind what door lol!

Now before I get clobbered here by the enslaught, I'll repeat again that I think this release is absolutely fantastic and throws Axefx yet another leap ahead of anything else. This is not a criticism of the work done - If it's generic all the way, then I'm still 100% on board and won't be going back to my old IRs strategy (all my presets are already converted).- , it's just a valid question, imo, in the context of this beta as relates to real life where peeps reach for understood specific reference gear. Having those reference points in modellers whether it be amp names, speaker names or mic names, or whatever..., makes everything easier by adding context in relation to the real world items. Sorry "just use your ears" friends - it's ears / eyes / brain / touch(feel) for me - I need input from all of those for my basic functioning.

Last edited:
This feature is not in the manual. It is “have a guitarist friend dial in your settings while you play”. A bit of sarcasm sure but I see this working.
would be cool - the friend will likely ask "what kind a tone r ya after eh ?" to which I may reply: "ummm, well, bake me up sometin Marshally eh, smood n mid gainy like an 800 boosted wit one a dem dere TS9y typ tings, but agressive in de lows - I like me a 412 IR fur some badass tump eh, wit V30s fur nice hairs on it - she might be needn a 57 mix'd in wit de 121 maybe dough so it aint gettin too dark like. I'll use me trusty SG to get more a dat roundy tone I like eh".

Based on that reference based response, my friend will cook me up sometin nice... eh.

Last edited:
would be cool - the friend will likely ask "what kind a tone r ya after eh ?" to which I may reply: "ummm, well, bake me up sometin Marshally eh, smood n mid gainy like an 800 boosted wit one a dem dere TS9s, but more agressive in de lows - I like me a 412 IR fur some badass tump eh, wit V30s fur nice hairs on it - she'll need a 57 maybe in de Mic mix though so it aint gettin too dark like. I'll use me trusty SG to get more a dat roundy tone I like eh".

Based on that reference based response, my friend will cook me up sometin nice eh.
Needs more Newfie.

I guess this is a joke, but so as not to confuse new folks, just bypass the cab block, or if you play only acoustics with this preset, don't include a cab block in the first place.
This is not a joke and yes there already is a TOTALLY FLAT cab in Factory 2 1024 location.
Since the late 90s I have used an acoustic pedal called the YAMAHA AG Stomp. While it does not capture IRs of your particular acoustic instrument it does reproduce room environments captured with condenser,dynamic, ribbon,tube and a classical specific microphones. Although I've always had the blend knob all the way up you can adjust how much of the microphone you want. The capture adds depth and space to a piezo or soundboard pickup and smooths away the sometimes unpleasant characteristics of those pickups. This is not the same as using reverb but with reverb.... it sounds glorious
By capturing an acoustic guitar IR using a microphone you are capturing several things one being the depth and space you get from the microphone which is what is so pleasing. The same can be said by moving a microphone around a speaker cabinet. Using TOTALLY FLAT 1024 I have tried to use the additional parameters in the Room/Air page to fill out the tone but couldn't get it right. I don't know how the TOTALLY FLAT was captured but guessing it's a one fixed point capture.

I agree that using no Cab IR at all would be the same as using a totally flat IR but you couldn't try to use the "goodies " in the cab block.

Using the Null IR could get you to the goodies but to me because of the IR capture and possibly using acoustic instruments it feels limited.

And so enters DYNA CAB with ability to move a mic position approx 10-12 inches away or 4-5 inches L/R from a sound source. This approximates the mic positions used when micing an acoustic instrument. I have tried my acoustic with the 1x10 BF Prince cab with the condenser mic set at 24cm and found that the Room/Air parameters of the cab block now work more effectively to get that depth and space of the YAMAHA AG Stomp.
Now add to that the ability to use a condenser mic as your bridge/body mic and a dynamic mic as your 12th fret mic or any combination with any instrument.

So the options are use the Legacy TOTALLY FLAT with single IR capture and limited results.
Use no cab block but that leaves no "goodies" at all.
Use the NULL IR that gives you back the "goodies" but is once again a single capture and limited results.
Or a Dyna Cab TOTALLY FLAT Cab IR with the resources to use condenser,ribbon or dynamic mics in a user defined sound source position which allows you to fine tune and enhances the additional parameters on the other cab block pages.

Best case scenario would be a block for acoustic instrument players that captures microphone/room setting that can be blended with the piezo to add space and depth while removing the piezo quack like the AG Stomp. Until then, I would like to see the TOTALY FLAT speaker considered for Dyna Cab conversion for those using amplified acoustic instruments.

My question in response would be: why would someone not grasp the value in knowing what mic was actually used in capturing some awesome IRs to work with in the product?,
There is a similar discussion in another thread so I'll summarize my thoughts from there. I do prefer knowing the specific mics used when there are several of each type and would support having this knowledge available. However, when having only one or two mics available in each type, the Condenser, Dynamic and Ribbon names are sufficient; the type of mic is more important than the specific model IMO.

Or a Dyna Cab TOTALLY FLAT Cab IR with the resources to use condenser,ribbon or dynamic mics in a user defined sound source position which allows you to fine tune and enhances the additional parameters on the other cab block pages.

Best case scenario would be a block for acoustic instrument players that captures microphone/room setting that can be blended with the piezo to add space and depth while removing the piezo quack like the AG Stomp. Until then, I would like to see the TOTALY FLAT speaker considered for Dyna Cab conversion for those using amplified acoustic instruments.

I see your point and the potential value of having adjustable mic positions for acoustic instruments. That would be a cool feature, but I don't think DynaCabs would be able to provide that solution because the IR info captured in DynaCabs are based on speaker cones, not acoustic instruments.

Think about the sonic differences as you move a mic from the center of the speaker cone outward, and how the sound changes as you reach the edge of the dust cap, further out the cone, etc. This behavior is due to the physical response of the sound source itself. Those physical properties won't be present in a totally flat DynaCab. Virtually moving the DynaCab mic isn't going to reflect a move from soundhole towards the fretboard -- there is no soundhole, fretboard, etc.

A totally flat DynaCab would in essence be just a microphone model, or perhaps a capture of a FRFR speaker. Either way, there's no acoustic instrument in there -- it's just a capture of the mic response, which is something you could achieve with a legacy IR just as well.

I noticed that in the editor if I have the mic position at a higher number and then double tap it with the mouse and it drops to cap that the sound doesn't change but if I move the knob manually with the mouse that the sound changes as expected. Has this been reported? I'm on Windows 10

The 'Smoothing' parameter in the Cab block has exhibited this same behavior for years.

I can't find the Dyna-Cabs in Axe-Edit, I'm getting a clipping indicator on the front panel, and I don't know how to read any prior posts to see if my questions have been answered. Is this a bug? Also, is the SM57 better than the SM7? It should be, since it's 50 more, right?

/snark
Had the same problem. The solution was to download the axe edit for the beta. not the one in the website. It was linked here in this thread somewhere but I cant find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom