Axe-Fx III Firmware 19.00 Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another comparison between 18.02 and 19.03, this time some cleaner stuff and in two separate tracks so you can go back and forth. First is FW18.02, then below, FW19.03. Recorded USB straight into Logic, with no post processing.

Pardon the sloppiness... had a bike (cycling) wreck back in October and my hands still aren't 100%.

Not as many Police fans on here, eh? ;)

But since you cats are so curious I'll tell you "why". I have a patch when I switch between acoustic sound to a distorted sound. In the acoustic scene I don't need the amp.
The reason people want to know is because there are good practices and bad ones. The bad ones lead to unexpected or undesirable bad sounds.

You're not telling us enough; "acoustic sound"? Is this from an acoustic guitar you're plugging in, from a piezo bridge on an electric guitar, or just a preset that is modifying the sound to be kinda-close to an acoustic guitar's sound? Knowing that lets us understand the topology that'd be normal for that desired end result.

Without that information, if I was plugging in an acoustic guitar or a piezo, I'd take advantage of a second IN block dedicated to the guitar's output that entered the layout after the AMP block. Or, I'd have a parallel path that skipped around the amp+cab blocks and used a MIXER or M-PLEX block to select the paths via a switch or a scene-controller.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 8.51.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 8.52.04 AM.png
(Ignore the fact that the amp blocks above are disabled. I didn't catch that until just now, and I don't care enough to fix it.)
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.02.32 AM.png

Or I'd change the amp type to a Tube Pre on a different channel with the block set for clean and the CAB to Factory 2 #1024 "Totally Flat" or maybe even disable the cab, but I wouldn't disable the amp block.

In any of the examples put whatever effects you want wherever you want. If you want some in common between both paths then that is left as an exercise for the reader.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.02.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 9.02.32 AM.png
    68 KB · Views: 6

Again...it is not about why, or how else you can do things to create sounds with a specific routing...It's just about a behavior I noticed.
I appreciate that you guys are trying to help with suggestions..but again..it's not about what can be done or how. Since this a beta release I think if anyone's founding something that might think sounds ...how to say this?..let's say not desirable.., then it should report it here so it can be fixed (in case it's a bug), and that way all possible glitches should be purged and the release would be more solid in any situation. Doing things differently to avoid a bug won't solve that bug..even if it would be a better approach to create that sound.

Again...it is not about why, or how else you can do things to create sounds with a specific routing...It's just about a behavior I noticed.
I appreciate that you guys are trying to help with suggestions..but again..it's not about what can be done or how. Since this a beta release I think if anyone's founding something that might think sounds ...how to say this?..let's say not desirable.., then it should report it here so it can be fixed (in case it's a bug), and that way all possible glitches should be purged and the release would be more solid in any situation. Doing things differently to avoid a bug won't solve that bug..even if it would be a better approach to create that sound.
That's not necessarily true.

There are many things that you can do on the unit that generate unwanted pops and clicks. The answer for those issues is usually "don't do that".

People are trying to understand if you have a "don't do that" scenario or not.

In your use case, was the behavior you're experiencing not present in the previous firmware?

If previous firmware didn't do this but current beta firmware does, then it's likely you might have found a new issue.

Otherwise, it's quite possible you're doing something you shouldn't.

ok ok here is my feedback for the beta 3 ! (tested 150 presets , almost all amps )

1/ the trebles are more friendly sounding in most of the amps , less "synthetic" , this is the best point of this update .
Things sounds better in high gain , nice bass too

2/ no need to re leveling ! except the 5150 and 2/3 others presets (maybe that were already not perfectly levelled) , all the level are the same than in the 18.03 globally

3/ the marshall are sounding ... special . Dont know if it s me or , but I prefer the sound they had before the update . less grain

4/ same for the vox combos

for the rest, zero bug or weird things, everything work as before, until now .

There are many things that you can do on the unit that generate unwanted pops and clicks. The answer for those issues is usually "don't do that".

People are trying to understand if you have a "don't do that" scenario or not.

In your use case, was the behavior you're experiencing not present in the previous firmware?

If previous firmware didn't do this but current beta firmware does, then it's likely you might have found a new issue.

Otherwise, it's quite possible you're doing something you shouldn't.
Nevertheless, it IS a beta and undesired effects must be reported. It's up to the Devs to determine whether this is s "Don't do this" case or an actual bug.

Let's allow reports of possible bugs without assigning malicious or critical behavior to them.

Yes..It is totally true..and you are wrong...let me break it to you. I will impersonate a new user who just brought this unit so..
"I just brought this unit and I pay 2000bucs for it. I want to use it this way. One preset in witch I turn block on and off with a midi controller.
Every time I turn on and off the amp block I hear a loud spike in my signal. This unit was advertised as the best and greatest out there and it cannot handle a simple thing like that?...I do not care of your fancy setups and routing. I pay money to use it like this and it fails me. I will return it!
I wont pay so much money to a unit who makes noises like that just at a simple on/off of a block.

Yes..It is totally true..and you are wrong...let me break it to you. I will impersonate a new user who just brought this unit so..
"I just brought this unit and I pay 2000bucs for it. I want to use it this way. One preset in witch I turn block on and off with a midi controller.
Every time I turn on and off the amp block I hear a loud spike in my signal. This unit was advertised as the best and greatest out there and it cannot handle a simple thing like that?...I do not care of your fancy setups and routing. I pay money to use it like this and it fails me. I will return it!
I wont pay so much money to a unit who makes noises like that just at a simple on/off of a block.
And yet, if it is a "don't do that" situation, you will still get the exact same answer... Whether you've been a user for 5 years or 5 minutes.

I'm not saying don't report the issue. I'm saying that it's valid for others to ask for more information.

It's not a simple thing, for many reasons.
There are perfectly fine ways to avoid / solve your issue.
These can be explained to you.
Be nice and be treated nice.
Be a jerk and ...

Nevertheless, it IS a beta and undesired effects must be reported. It's up to the Devs to determine whether this is s "Don't do this" case or an actual bug.

Let's allow reports of possible bugs without assigning malicious or critical behavior to them.
If someone was getting popping while changing Preamp Tube type should they report it? This issue has existed as long as the feature has been there going back to Axe Fx II. It's a known scenario and the answer is known. It's an undesired effect...

I don't see anyone being malicious or critical. I see people asking for more information.

If you report a possible bug it is very fair for others to ask for details. Either to test themselves, or compare to past experience, etc.

Played with FW19.03 some more this morning, and I'm completely sold on it. It's so good. The low end is better, the treble is smoother, and the punch is better.

I don't know how you guys do it! 2 years ago when I got my FX3, I thought it sounded amazing, but not 100% accurate to my amps. Now, I think it's better than my amps in a lot of ways.

Great work!

Imagine you have a 100W Marshall full stack cranked to ear splitting volumes. You decide to unplug your guitar without muting and hear a horrible pop sound. Are you going to sell all your gear in that scenario too ?

Let the words be spoken , heartily and truthfully, for all the world to hear……………………

HOLY SHITBALLS
Sup? :)

I was just popping in to comment Holy Shitballs.....lol I haven't played for about 2 weeks after taking a tumble down 2 flights of stair on the jobsite, downloaded it yesterday and installed it,, but didn't play. Just fired it up and it's on a random Friedman HBE patch I have and DAMN,,,,allchewy and gritty and all things a hot modded Marshall type amp should be,, And I really don't play with this one much as I'm more of the Engl Savage kinda guy, but this is just grabbing my soul ;-) Awesome work Cliff and co.

MOSHON
DAVE

Played with FW19.03 some more this morning, and I'm completely sold on it. It's so good. The low end is better, the treble is smoother, and the punch is better.

I don't know how you guys do it! 2 years ago when I got my FX3, I thought it sounded amazing, but not 100% accurate to my amps. Now, I think it's better than my amps in a lot of ways.

Great work!

And the cool thing is that they are details , i mean is not cygnus 2 , but yeah just some more friendly high it's nice , i re discover some amps with this beta , and forgot that i m covid positive for a minute . Time to go back with the flu now that the unit is off . fu**** disease seriously .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom