Axe-Fx III Firmware 19.00 Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not with the axe anymore, but, if you turn the gain up you have more noise coming from the pickups without any gate like a real amp no ?
Strange that the gain don’t add any noise 🤔
It was not in one preset but many ones, and I noticed it as soon as I change preset . Normally it’s dead silent and now I have a little amount of background noises .
If some guys notice it too … don’t know . @Gregmang same experience so

I’m not with the axe anymore, but, if you turn the gain up you have more noise coming from the pickups without any gate like a real amp no ?
Strange that the gain don’t add any noise 🤔
It was not in one preset but many ones, and I noticed it as soon as I change preset . Normally it’s dead silent and now I have a little amount of background noises .
If some guys notice it too … don’t know . @Gregmang same experience so
Gain doesn't add noise, it amplifies noise. SNR is determined by the hardware. There is equivalent noise at the input (engineering term is Noise Referred to Input). This is due to Brownian motion (thermal noise, also known as Johnson noise). That noise gets amplified.

The amp block is digital and adds no noise. It only amplifies (that's why it's called an amplifier).

To prove this to yourself, go into a noisy preset and disconnect the input to the amp block. The noise will go away because the amp block doesn't add noise. If it added noise you would still have noise at the output.

So it can be that the presets got “more gain” now with 19.XX so the input gate needs to be re-set
Possible but unlikely. More likely that it's just an environmental change. Noise increases with temperature. Interference (which people often mistakenly call "noise") comes and goes as equipment turns on/off or power mains become more contaminated due to heavy electrical load.

We have measured no change in noise or gain vs. the prior firmware.

Yes I will try back tomorrow, but this emg one, is one of my less powerful guitar (Kirk Hammett’s bone breaker are not very hot at all)

Another thing today is that the 5150 block is finally super good !
I was very a Sceptical with the previous modeling and said it many times . This head, if I omit Van Halen, is a metal hardcore classic , machine head etc … now it sound good !

Now i’m still 🤔 with 2 heads : the afd and the legend . Everytime I switch to them the sound is so different from the rest, like a filter or … they don’t sound alive don’t know . Maybe that’s me

Yes I will try back tomorrow, but this emg one, is one of my less powerful guitar (Kirk Hammett’s bone breaker are not very hot at all)

Another thing today is that the 5150 block is finally super good !
I was very a Sceptical with the previous modeling and said it many times . This head, if I omit Van Halen, is a metal hardcore classic , machine head etc … now it sound good !

Now i’m still 🤔 with 2 heads : the afd and the legend . Everytime I switch to them the sound is so different from the rest, like a filter or … they don’t sound alive don’t know . Maybe that’s me

But that 18v19 clip fremen posted, 18 sounds like sweden circa 1995 and its awesome. Im hoping there’s an easy way to dial it back to that for old in flames or at the gates.

But that 18v19 clip fremen posted, 18 sounds like sweden circa 1995 and its awesome. Im hoping there’s an easy way to dial it back to that for old in flames or at the gates.
I don’t recognize the tone I have here with his 19.00 example of the 5150. in his video, the new 5150 sound terrible compared to the old version . Probably a matter of cab don’t know . So fuzzy. Big drop of mids

pheew, I must say this beta is really something.
spent a few hours today with it, wrote a whole new song and while playing again and again in looper, checking many amp models, I wrote also lyrics right away ✌️

GOOD TIMES 😌

thank you 🙏

Last edited:
Here's a demo comparing non-MV amps, firmware 18.03 vs 19 beta 3, same presets :

I hear a difference even with an iPhone. 19 beta 3 sounds a lot more open. 18.03 sounds like the low mids are stale and out of tune. 19 magically fixes that. You can hear it better starting from 3:15 onwards.

Or did you retune your guitar between the firmware update? 😬

Last edited:
The tone is open and bright 🥲
Are you sure, sure, sure that’s nothings wrong with the afd in the axe ?

afd model was always far from the real amp IMO (not like fractal’s real amp can be different than mine was, not like difference in pot tolerance).
it is night and day difference compared to real afd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom