Axe-Fx III Cygnus Factory Preset Banks A, B, and C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years I had a couple Blues Jr. amps, had one heavily modified, but never could get one to sound the way I wanted.

I stumbled over the Jr. Blues preset this morning, and... dang... it sounds better than the originals, and I can modify it any way I want. This might be fun. :)

What methodology do you use for auditioning the presets and selecting your favorites?

The presets on my hard disk occupy more than 10 times the capacity of the Axe-FX III, therefore I cannot afford the luxury of keeping them loaded.

I load one single bank, play preset by preset, and rename the ones that I discard with a blank. Once I finish, I save the survivors (the ones that still keep a name) on a Factory Favorites folder.

If I make some interesting modification on a preset, I save it in a <empty> slot with a suffix

View attachment 83859
It is slow, because sometimes I spend hours playing with a single preset, but I like to separate the ones that I can find useful

What's your method?
Open the banks with FracTool. Audition one by one, save the one you like

The following is not technic

Yes, that's a weird bug of some kind. The modifier, External 1, is assigned to Volume Control in Volume/Pan block 1. It WORKS, but is not visible. I removed it, re-created it, and saved the preset and now it is fine.
Hey Matt, if we want, can we just hang back and wait for these misc, minor fixes to be done to these presets (as opposed to downloading individual ones to replace, as they're fixed, and the .sys files are shared)?

IOW, do you plan to re-post the completed banks AB&C, once they're completely dealt with?

Because these fixes have so far been trivial, I'll fix the bank files next week without incrementing their version number and just let you all know here.
Great. I thought that because so far they seemed to be minor, you might not do that, thus my question. Thank you.

What methodology do you use for auditioning the presets and selecting your favorites?

The presets on my hard disk occupy more than 10 times the capacity of the Axe-FX III, therefore I cannot afford the luxury of keeping them loaded.

I load one single bank, play preset by preset, and rename the ones that I discard with a blank. Once I finish, I save the survivors (the ones that still keep a name) on a Factory Favorites folder.

If I make some interesting modification on a preset, I save it in a <empty> slot with a suffix

View attachment 83859
It is slow, because sometimes I spend hours playing with a single preset, but I like to separate the ones that I can find useful

What's your method?
If I want to keep the entire preset, I'll put my initials in front of the name and place it at the end of the preset list. Blocks I like get saved to the Block Library with a specific name. Presets that just get blocks pulled from them get deleted.

Saw them when they did the album tour opening for Jefferson Starship with all three original Airplane singers. They were killer. Played for 1 1/2 hours then Starship played for 3 hours. I was/am a huge Jeff Beck fan, my wife was a huge Grace Slick/Airplane fan, so it was a very special night for us.

It would be awesome to see Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers and Jane in one show.

Im assuming these translate nicely to Fm3 now?
That is not a safe assumption.
I just found out they're not compatible across devices, I tried 😆
If you keep in mind the differences between the FX3 and FM3, then you can convert a lot of them because Cygnus is the glue.

The majority of FX3 presets take advantage of the larger grid so the FM3 will put the overflow into the left column but you can rearrange the preset and add Feedback Send/Receive blocks and coerce the preset to fit. The second issue is that some presets use too much CPU so you'd have to remove blocks that cause the problem but you have to identify them and sometimes they're core to the sound of the preset. Some presets use dual Amp blocks or dual of some other block type, and the FM3 is not able to accommodate that and will strip them making it difficult to figure out what was supposed to be there.

Comparing the FM3 to the Axe-Fx III and Firmware Cygnus 16.xx will help.

That said, something I've experimented with is to take advantage of the fact that only certain block types were updated; Reverb, Amp and Cab if I remember correctly. (You might want to check the Drive block too.) And, there's a lot of commonality between the FM3 and FX3 factory presets, so you could load a preset that interests you on the FM3, drop the corresponding bank of factory presets from the FX3 into the FM3-Edit Preset Manager, find the preset and import it into the FM3 into an empty slot. Then, copy the Amp, Cab and Reverb blocks over to the original FM3 preset and see if you like the sound. If you do, save that to a different slot. Repeat as necessary. You might not get the entire preset and it might not be the exact sound, but it should be an improvement.

You might need to recreate the scenes from the FX3, as many of the new factory presets have been expanded. How to do that is left as a learning exercise.

Having an FX3 on hand makes this much easier because then the preset of interest can be adjusted on the FX3 then exported, then imported on the FM3 resulting in a lot higher success rate. You still have to be aware of the differences in the two architectures though.

Last edited:
Mickey Thomas had not joined the band yet or at least he wasn't there, but Craig Chaquico was the lead guitarist and he was impressive. Played a Cherry Burst Les Paul.

The first thing I thought of was that voice; he kills me every time. I can imagine it would still have been an incredible show.

This is great. After backing up my current config, would anyone please give me a step by step process to reinstall an individual non-factory preset, should I need to do that from my current configuration? Your help would truly be appreciated.

This is great. After backing up my current config, would anyone please give me a step by step process to reinstall an individual non-factory preset, should I need to do that from my current configuration? Your help would truly be appreciated.
You can do this from within Fractal-Bot, or you can export the preset then import it into whatever slot you want from the Preset menu, or you can use the Preset Manager to export or import it. Give them a try, glance at the manual if necessary, it's easily done.

If your backup is a BANK FILE, this is perhaps easiest:

1. Change to the spot where you want one of the old presets to be (ex: 100).
2. Choose Preset | Import Preset in the top Axe-Edit menu.
3. Browse to your bank backup file.
4. A list of the presets in the file will be displayed. Choose the one you want and it will load.
5. Save the preset. You can also use "Save to New Preset Number" if you decide you want it in a different place.

Presets sound REALLY good. Honestly didn't care much for the presets a couple years ago and never revisited them until now. Of course I was new to the Axfx3. Now I know my way around it a bit more. Anyway, great job guys...I'm going to be spending alot of time on them now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom