Axe-Fx III block to simulate FreqOut?

There is where the compressor block helps out a lot, the pedal needs a certain input level, and as the string vibration dies out it can cut off abruptly. Some delay after it also helps give the effect longer apparent sustain as well
Thanks, I’ll check. But we might be talking about two different things. I can physically avoid the weird little artificial noise by not allowing the note to go too long on its own. In other words, I can generally control it with my fretting hand. Plus, I also have it set to “subtle”. But I’m still experimenting.

The pedal actually can induce natural feedback pretty easily I’ve found. Step on the pedal, get your guitar close to the speaker, and even at pretty low volumes you can keep the feedback going for some time, I’ve gotten several minutes. I think what’s happening is the pedal is generating the simulated feedback effect based upon the note(s) your playing, and when you pump that signal back into the guitar through proximity to the speaker, it reinforces the effect to the extent that a true feedback is created, only it doesn’t take nearly the volume.

Ah, a misunderstanding, I meant that I was trying to generate feedback without using the FreqOut at all.

Just got to put the FreqOut in a loop, give it a dedicated comp and a delay and it’s awesome. Set up a exp pedal for the mix and you can do sweet stuff like have the feedback swell in when you want and depending on your settings, echo out with long repeat as you keep playing underneath it etc. setting it to the sub octaves and you can create some really unique synth type tones too, really fun with additional modulations.

One of my all time favorite dedicated pedals on its own, and then combined with the routing and dedicated parallel effects options in the III it even better.

They are actually getting pretty cheap too used, not sure Digitech is even going to be around much longer. Totally worth current prices imo, and just works so much better than anything I’ve been able to try to reproduce with just the Axe on it’s own.

Do you have a screenshot example of this? I am just starting the build of my AXE III rig, and I want to eliminate some cables, and this sounds like the way to do it.

I pulled this pedal back out of storage, in an attempt to make it work.

Has anyone solved the weird little chirp or whistle artifact at the end of the FreqOut “feedback”? It exposes its unnatural source. I have been tweaking knobs and settings, but it still surfaces. I can’t be the only one that hears it, unless mine is defective.

By the way, I decided to take another shot with the FreqOut, because the Dawner Prince Boonar sounds so flipping great in an Out-In loop. It isn’t echo. It isn’t reverb. It’s Gilmour.

Thanks for giving it another shot....only thing missing in this amazing unit!

...fortunately I have two FO's

Just got to put the FreqOut in a loop, give it a dedicated comp and a delay and it’s awesome. Set up a exp pedal for the mix and you can do sweet stuff like have the feedback swell in when you want and depending on your settings, echo out with long repeat as you keep playing underneath it etc. setting it to the sub octaves and you can create some really unique synth type tones too, really fun with additional modulations.

One of my all time favorite dedicated pedals on its own, and then combined with the routing and dedicated parallel effects options in the III it even better.

They are actually getting pretty cheap too used, not sure Digitech is even going to be around much longer. Totally worth current prices imo, and just works so much better than anything I’ve been able to try to reproduce with just the Axe on it’s own.

As someone else asked, can you please post in some shape or form how this translates into the preset loop (maybe some simple preset with it)? This would be great. Thank you

As someone else asked, can you please post in some shape or form how this translates into the preset loop (maybe some simple preset with it)? This would be great. Thank you

See page 30 of the manual. Basically use input 3 and output 3 as an fx loop. I have input 3 turned on for scenes I want the Freq Out.

Attachments

• 33018FEA-4986-4FCF-9152-F0F20BB24878.jpeg
    33018FEA-4986-4FCF-9152-F0F20BB24878.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 55
I’ve been doing something similar to what’s been mentioned here with the FO. I have the pedal itself stuck in my live rack with Velcro on a shelf above the Axe. This is connected to in/out 4 (I do something similar with the Drop pedal using in/out 3). I turn the pedal always on when I power up the rig and control the loop with a momentary switch on the FC controlling Output 4.

I have this loop starting with the input signal... goes through a compressor (you can extend the feedback length by compressing the signal going into the FO as the pedal gets a signal longer) then to Out4 to the pedal which is always on. Then the In4 goes through a delay (I found that delaying the feedback only can further extend the feedback effect). This works really well for me. Also as mentioned, this setup seems to induce real feedback at gig volumes much much easier which only add to the effect. It's not perfect but but far the closest thing out there at the moment IMO.

Experimenting with where in the chain this sits and using expression volume control of the feedback vs. the momentary I use are other good options I've played with. Fun stuff! Pic of one of my presets and my rack rig below.

Preset.jpg
CF8D4510-BFEF-477D-8FF3-2B2F00680893.jpeg

I’ve been doing something similar to what’s been mentioned here with the FO. I have the pedal itself stuck in my live rack with Velcro on a shelf above the Axe. This is connected to in/out 4 (I do something similar with the Drop pedal using in/out 3). I turn the pedal always on when I power up the rig and control the loop with a momentary switch on the FC controlling Output 4.

I have this loop starting with the input signal... goes through a compressor (you can extend the feedback length by compressing the signal going into the FO as the pedal gets a signal longer) then to Out4 to the pedal which is always on. Then the In4 goes through a delay (I found that delaying the feedback only can further extend the feedback effect). This works really well for me. Also as mentioned, this setup seems to induce real feedback at gig volumes much much easier which only add to the effect. It's not perfect but but far the closest thing out there at the moment IMO.

Experimenting with where in the chain this sits and using expression volume control of the feedback vs. the momentary I use are other good options I've played with. Fun stuff! Pic of one of my presets and my rack rig below.

View attachment 61642
View attachment 61640
thank you - very helpful

I’m so glad I’m not the only fan of the Freqout on here. It’s the only thing I don’t want to let go of as far as pedals go. My AxeFX III won’t be here until next Monday, but I’ve been thinking about how to incorporate it into the rig and was just searching around yesterday to see if it was getting any love around here. I mainly use it in momentary mode for the end of phrases (I try to rip off Gilmour at any possible point) and seeing that I can put it in a ‘loop‘ and trigger it with the FC-6, I think I’ll be all set until there’s a way to fully replicate it or Cliff creates a block for it.

I’m going to need a couple weeks of tweaking with the III before I can contribute any ideas as this is my first piece of Fractal gear and I have a lot to catch up on as far as programming goes. I’m certainly looking forward to jumping on this train, though!

I’ve lurked this forum for years and have noticed this all along, but this community is such a rarity on the internet these days. It’s pretty much a troll-free zone and everyone is so helpful that I get a boost of positivity whenever I browse. Very anxious to be a bigger part of it!

The Freqout is my only analog pedal. It's hiding in the back of my rack, and inserted into a dedicated loop. I run it in "dry kill" mode, so the return signal is just the feedback portion; that way I can manage the mix further down the signal chain. This pedal really does some amazing stuff, and it's one of the very few effects I haven't yet been able to replicate in the AxeFX III.

The Freqout is my only analog pedal. It's hiding in the back of my rack, and inserted into a dedicated loop. I run it in "dry kill" mode, so the return signal is just the feedback portion; that way I can manage the mix further down the signal chain. This pedal really does some amazing stuff, and it's one of the very few effects I haven't yet been able to replicate in the AxeFX III.

How do you usually have the knobs on it set in dry kill mode?

I just noticed this thread thanks to Chris. I'll convert the Mark Day preset and experiment with that.
Has anyone else come up with ways to simulate the FreqOut pedal in the Axe FXIII?

Bumping this to see if anyone has further settings or success with the FreqOut. I’m running it through Output 3 loop with compressor and momentary switch mentioned by AutomaticEight.

I used CS1 mapped to a FC12 switch to control the bypass on Output 3, attack and release set to be basically instantaneous.

I can get the feedback to respond on demand, but it doesn’t sound too natural (more like a high droning after a note instead of an out of control amp). In comparison, I put it out front and I was able to get some sweet feedback and control it very naturally.

gonna keep tinkering

Could you post a quick clip of how you use it? I'm curious to hear the results of that setup. Bonus points for posting the patch :)

yeah, the freqout needs to go before the amp

@Nuclearfishin you should probably check out this thread. i made a feedback simulator for the II a few years ago and it's now been updated and improved for the III

Bumping this to see if anyone has further settings or success with the FreqOut. I’m running it through Output 3 loop with compressor and momentary switch mentioned by AutomaticEight.

I used CS1 mapped to a FC12 switch to control the bypass on Output 3, attack and release set to be basically instantaneous.

I can get the feedback to respond on demand, but it doesn’t sound too natural (more like a high droning after a note instead of an out of control amp). In comparison, I put it out front and I was able to get some sweet feedback and control it very naturally.

gonna keep tinkering

Maybe the compressor is giving it too much juice? Is the compressor before or after the pedal?

I have mine as the first thing after the Input, nothing else in line with it and use a momentary switch to control it. I had to tweak the pedal itself, the offset and the gain, to get it to work as it normally would in front of an amp. I’d say it’s about 98% there. I’ll post up a preset/sound clip tonight. I actually just used it all over the place on a new song I wrote.

This is still a work in progress, if you go to 1:19, 3:23 you can hear it used for some end-of-note feedback swells (I‘m fading in with a volume pedal then hitting the momentary switch) then it’s all over the solo at the end, when you hear the notes shoot up an octave, almost like a whammy pedal, but there’s no slide up in pitch. Solo starts at 5:42.

Back
Top Bottom