Axe-Fx III and Headphones

+1 regarding NOT using the Sony's for mixing. I used to buy them back in the day, and they tend to hype things so they don't translate very well to other systems. That said, they are OK for tracking as they don't bleed a whole lot.

No idea. My guess is that "Mo-Fi" sounds too close to "Mofo." :)

LMAO, right. Hey wait, I said that already!

Audeze LCD-2s

You've been quiet in all of this, well I listened, and these are some really really nice cans. Plus I see they make a closed back model too. So, I'll take two :). Anyway, for those who haven't blown all their money on an Axe III yet, check the out, the guy gives a nice description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163055840089?ViewItem=&item=163055840089

If you ever going to be playing with other people, like in a band, or just want to hear whats going on around you, you will definitely appreciate open back cans. I use the Sennheiser HD598's. They sound almost identical to my Yamaha hs8's.

If you ever going to be playing with other people, like in a band, or just want to hear whats going on around you, you will definitely appreciate open back cans. I use the Sennheiser HD598's. They sound almost identical to my Yamaha hs8's.

Hey guitarmike, (long time), The hs8's were in my top two when I got studio monitors. ;) with the 598's, have you had any issues with the pads deteriorating? How's the top end?

Just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro...0-open-air-pro-headphones?rNtt=hd 650&index=2

Pretty decent price with their 15% off Memorial Day promo...can't wait to try em!

Must be, there not available at this time. :(

Massdrop is currently selling HD6XX (same thing as HD650 but massdrop colab version) for $200. Great deal.

Thanks for the tip Yeky83. :)

I can get an excellent deal on the 598Cs or SR if I take a risk and trust a seller on eBay, around $80. I see the HD650's are 300 ohms, I doubt my laptop would be able to push them eh Yeky? Randy, do you use an amp with the 650's?

Many thanks to everyone! :)

The 598's have held up very well. The top end is similar to the hs8's. I can switch between 598's and hs8's by blending one in and the other out and can hardly tell any difference.

Thanks much for the info g-mike ;). I haven't sampled the hs8's, mostly read reviews and recommendations, seem like an excellent speaker for the money. I'd imagine if you're comparing 598's to hs8's, the 598's gotta be pretty darn good. These peeps writing reviews on Amazon must sweat hydrochloric acid! Lol, my sweat used to go through strings in a few days, but I guess my composition has changed over the years, as well as my stings; Elixir Nanoweb :).

Came across these while surfing, anyone have any experience with them? Pretty cheap for planer cans eh?

Amazon product ASIN B00MULH672

Randy, do you use an amp with the 650's?

I don't know......lol. I literally just ordered them right before I posted that. I don't plan on needing an amp for the 650's when they're hooked up to the Axe III. I mean I'm pretty sure I read where the III puts out plenty to push these. As far as when they're hooked up to my PC or iPhone I don't know yet...might have to get an amp for that.

@gigawatt Youare agonizing over this waaaaay too much. Just take solace in the fact that no matter what you choice you make, it will definitely be wrong.

LOL! ...no i aint. :p how do you say your name? Zanox, or Xanax? Lol, j.k. Naw, I just got my new credit card in the mail, so I've been buying gear left and right for my mini studio based around the Axe. :) But in a way you're right. If I had decided a week ago I'd prolly have em now to enjoy while I wait for everything to arrive........ (so i guess you haven't tried the Hifiman?) o_O

The 598's have held up very well. The top end is similar to the hs8's. I can switch between 598's and hs8's by blending one in and the other out and can hardly tell any difference.

Hey guitarmike, What kind of music do you listen to? Would these be ok listening to metal with a lot of bass and a speedy kick drum, i.e. Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax?

I don't know......lol. I literally just ordered them right before I posted that. I don't plan on needing an amp for the 650's when they're hooked up to the Axe III. I mean I'm pretty sure I read where the III puts out plenty to push these. As far as when they're hooked up to my PC or iPhone I don't know yet...might have to get an amp for that.

Thanks Randy, would you mind giving your impressions when you've sampled their yield?

@zenaxe, actually, I already purchased something, nah nah n nah nah :p. I'll reveal what in a little while, in fact, I got em so cheap I can afford a set of open backs too. So the search goes on ;).

Last edited:
Yeah this is my problem as well. Ambient and cleans sound great, distortion sounds small and fuzzy. I have a pair of HD280 Pros, but I have been using some consumer Bose Quiet Comfort 35's more frequently because they sound a little better.

#metoo

Thinking if adding an analog headphone amp would soften the digital hizz enough.. or an extra cab block.

The 598's are fairly flat. They will reproduce what you put in them in a fairly uncolored way... similar to what the hs8's will...except these are open back headphones. They are returnable at most places, ie amazon, so if you don't like them you can return them. I listen to all kinds of music and the 598's sound good to me on all genres.

Thinking if adding an analog headphone amp would soften the digital hizz enough.. or an extra cab block.

If anyone has a solution to distortion sounds through cans please give us your input :).

I listen to all kinds of music and the 598's sound good to me on all genres.

That's really good to hear, I can pick up a set for around 80 bucks, providing they're the real deal (did you know there's been fakes sold from Amazon? There's a Youtube video about it showing both sets and how to tell the difference.

+1 for BeyerDynamic stuff, I use the Amiron open ends with my III ...stunning../QUOTE]

Those seem really nice Bradlake, a little outta my price range though, and there high impedence (250 ohm) wouldn't work well with my laptop without an amp. I am currently looking in the price range of $150 to $200 for a set of open back cans. I have the Blue Mix-Fi amplified closed back on the way.

FYI, I'd like to use them with the Axe Fx and my laptop if possible. I'm sure the Blue's will be ok.

Guitarmike, ever use your 598's with a laptop or smart phone? Do they get loud enough? If not I can always dedicate them to the Axe, i can afford it since I got the Blue's so cheap.

Love my Beyerdynamic DT770pro...comfortable and nice and flat

Those are closed back correct?

Back
Top Bottom