Axe-Fx III and Headphones

Yeky83, what would you consider a high impedance? 50 ohms or more? Take a look at the specs chart of these:

Amazon product ASIN B01L1IICR2
All are 50 ohms except one, the HD 569 at 23 ohms. That's a big difference! Coupled with an SPL of 115dB (I hope they mean sensitivity not max SPL), they should be way louder than their sisters.
I can't see a specs chart on my browser. But 50 ohms should be fine.

I think it's time for you to just decide and buy now ;) best of luck to you.

Ugghh! I'm no closer to finding just the right pair than I was a week and a half ago! I kinda like the Sennheiser HD 569, but I'm concerned with there not being enough high highs. Maybe there was nothing wrong with my HD 280's, anyone have a set? If so, are they laking in the upper highs? I also have more to spend if a better pair comes up, Sennheiser doesn't have much in the 2 - 300 dollar range, except dj and wireless, and I don't want to worry about batteries.

Yeky, the 569's (closed back) are 23 ohm 115dB, it was the 599's (open back) that were 50 ohm 106dB.

So I just took a good look at the Sennheiser HD 380's, a friend told me they wasn't much improvement over the 280's and to save my money. Reviews however say exactly the contrary. They've been around a long time and even reviewers are saying other manufacturers have caught and passed the technology. However, I liked the 280's a lot and if it weren't for lack of high frequencies they have been great. Still up in the air if I ruined them myself or it was just the design.

So for now, my short list is the Senn HD 380 and HD 569. That list will grow before it shrinks, as I go back over all the posts again and see what I've missed. :)

Not in your price range, but I'm using beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro with my Axe-FX III. I'm pleased with the tone and dynamics.

Checked these out. Seem to have a lot of QC issues, and are said to have a bit of a mid scooped detail with enhanced highs and lows. If I were to go with Beyer's I'd probably go all out for the T1's. A friend of mine has the DT 770's and had issues with the attached cable after only a couple months.

Thanks for your input! :)

Well, I guess I'm talking to myself now…:( Anyway, if anyone is still interested, I'm drinking the "Blue" Kool-aid again. The Lola really caught my attention. I mentioned them to my guy at Guitar Center (who sold me the Presonis monitors) and his eyes lit up. He said "The MoFi is an amazing headphone!"

So there's the MoFi, the Lola, Senn HD569, and Senn HD380.

Question about the Mofi, Any issues with the battery wearing out prematurely? Can it be changed, and what kind of charger does it use.

I have the blue Lola's and the III drives them just fine. There is a slight bump in the mid frequencies (imo) that I don't care for, but other than that they're nice.

Have you checked out this product: https://www.sonarworks.com/reference ? The headphone edition does a fantastic job of compensating for the headphone limitations. I have some DT 770 Pro's that I like, but never could get the sound that I get from my studio monitors. I tried this software (there's a 21-day trial), and I'm very happy with the results! I now record and mix with headphones a lot more. I also use them when jamming with my Axe FX III when I don't want to turn on the FRFR or the studio monitors. I've also tested the software with my Audio Technica headphones and found that their compensation works well for both. Hope that helps!

Question about the Mofi, Any issues with the battery wearing out prematurely? Can it be changed, and what kind of charger does it use.
I haven’t experienced any battery issues. Even if you leave the amp on, it turns itself off when you take them off your head.

To change the batter, you’d have to perform surgery on the cans. Recharges via micro-USB.

Is it micro USB (on the cans)
I haven’t experienced any battery issues. Even if you leave the amp on, it turns itself off when you take them off your head.

To change the batter, you’d have to perform surgery on the cans. Recharges via micro-USB.

Is it micro USB (on the cans) to standard USB?

I would not get any low impedance headphones unless you really want to use them with your smartphone. I'd get something in the 200ohm+ club because of accuracy and bass response. I use the DT880's @250 Ohm and the Axe-Fx has no issue driving those. You want a high damping factor when possible.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance

Axe-III shows an output impedance of 35ohm for the headphone jack. If you use the 8-10x rule mentioned above and elsewhere, you'd probably be best served at 280ohms+. :)

Back
Top Bottom