Axe-Fx III and Headphones

I'm guessing they are different impedance... And thus require a level adjustment to "balance" the volume.
Dunno. I read "I prefer the sound of the headphones that I turned up the volume on." Which isn't surprising, seeing as how the volume is turned up.

Sorry, meant the output. Just the dial on the front for output 1. Did some more testing this afternoon and definitely prefer the ATH’s. I think the problem before was the guitar I was using and a lack of volume. Tried my PRS Custom 24 again today and it wasn’t great. Tried my Les Paul and ohhhhhh baby!
On a side note, the newer Bernie Marsden SE punches well above it’s price. Easily held its own with the Gibson.

Try playing music through the Axe and see how the DT880s sound. If they sound good then adjust your preset to suit.

If they sound crap try leaving the music playback on overnight to burn them in, they may well open up.

I know my ATHs are very low impedance, and back when I bought them, I was primarily using them on my Macbook and phone. These 250 ohm DT880s definitely need the output cranked up on the Axe, but I definitely feel like I get better clarity across the frequency range.

The only complaint I had over the years was the ATHs would mash my ears after an hour. Aftermarket foam helped a lot. Seems like a lot more room with the DT880s. The downside is they don't pack small like the ATHs.

So you prefer the headphones that you turned up louder. ;)

I'm guessing they are different impedance... And thus require a level adjustment to "balance" the volume.

Dunno. I read "I prefer the sound of the headphones that I turned up the volume on." Which isn't surprising, seeing as how the volume is turned up.

Both actually! Hehe.
What I meant was when I tried the ATH’s initially they sounded bad. When I tried them again, I turned the output up a good bit and they sounded better. As you say Rex, not a shocker, but trying to save my already knackered hearing!
Then I compared them to the DT880’s and found them better, but something was amiss as the DT880’s sounded really bad.
The ATH’s are only 35ohm impedance, compared to the 250ohm of the DT880’s, so as unix guy says, level adjustments also required.

Try playing music through the Axe and see how the DT880s sound. If they sound good then adjust your preset to suit.

If they sound crap try leaving the music playback on overnight to burn them in, they may well open up.

I know my ATHs are very low impedance, and back when I bought them, I was primarily using them on my Macbook and phone. These 250 ohm DT880s definitely need the output cranked up on the Axe, but I definitely feel like I get better clarity across the frequency range.

The only complaint I had over the years was the ATHs would mash my ears after an hour. Aftermarket foam helped a lot. Seems like a lot more room with the DT880s. The downside is they don't pack small like the ATHs.

Thanks for this guys. After reading your post spagthorpe I thought something had to be wrong somewhere and tried the DT880’s again last night. They sounded MUCH better, so god knows what was going on. I would say user error, but it’s hard to use headphones wrong!
Anyway, I spent hours A/Bing them last night to the point where I definitely had ear fatigue. I need to confirm it tonight, but I think I prefer the DT880’s, especially when playing along to backing tracks. The ATH’s can get overwhelming and a wall of noise type thing, but the DT880’s keep their clarity and are easier on your hearing. I read one person say they were calmer sounding and it’s a good way of putting it.
I also noticed that the ATH’s sound varies quite a lot if the cans aren’t exactly in position on your ears. The DT880’s are definitely way more comfortable and don’t vary with position on your ears.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it's relevant.

Just got a pair of Blue Mix-Fi's. Dare I say they are a bit boomy? I've come from Beyer DT-250s and DT-990s.

Does anyone else find the bass a bit overpowering? I'm a little stumped as no one else seems to have mentioned it.

This is in both normal use and with the Axe.

EDIT actually just found this review

https://www.whathifi.com/blue/mo-fi/review

(mo-fi is the same as mix-fi)

Just got a pair of Blue Mix-Fi's. Dare I say they are a bit boomy? I've come from Beyer DT-250s and DT-990s.

Does anyone else find the bass a bit overpowering? I'm a little stumped as no one else seems to have mentioned it.

I don’t find my Mo-Fi’s boomy at all. As for the review you linked to, it claims (among other things) that the Mo-Fi’s have problems with “timing” and “patience.” What does that even mean? Are they playing notes before they happen?

Apparently, they have a complete lack of “dynamic scrutiny,” and their sound lacks “insight.” I think maybe the author has written one too many reviews, and he’s run out of words.

Last edited:
I don’t find my Mo-Fi’s boomy at all. As for the review you linked to, it claims (among other things) that the Mo-Fi’s have problems with “timing” and “patience.” What does that even mean? Are they playing notes before they happen?

Apparently, they have a complete lack of “dynamic scrutiny,” and their sound lacks “insight,” I think maybe the author has written one too many reviews, and he’s run out of words.

With those blue headphones, do you guys play with the built-in amp ON or OFF ?

Amp on, but no bass boost. But the sound in passive mode is still very good.

I used to have the Mo-Fi, I now use the Sadie

I wasn't endorsing that whathifi review BTW (clearly as I bought them), the language used is absurd I agree, just that they mentioned the boominess.

Anyway, I'll stick with the mix-fi's for now, maybe burning in will help. It could well just be a personal taste thing.

Took a look at some measurements online, and it does seem there's a broad 5dB boost around 180Hz compared to the latest standard of Harman headphone target curve. Apparently that's pretty common for many headphones.

In comparison, I see your other headphones are measured to be a bit bright. So you're probably used to a brighter headphone sound than others.

I've been using Dt880pro's for a number of years, from forum recommendations. And I just got some MixFi's last year, also from forum recommendations. 😁

The 880s feel relatively flat up top, with a reduced, but gradually tapered, less resonant, low end. I feel like I can trust the high end and mid range. I know to expect the deep bass is a bit lacking.

Comparatively, the mixfis sound great, but with a more consumer type boosted bass response. They do seem boomy to me. Maybe it's just the shape of wax in my ear canals. I don't know what the point of the active bass boost is. In terms of mixing, I think I can trust it to represent a typical consumer listening experience. Not in a bad way, but a useful way.

Tests reveal they both offer a sweaty yet rubbery bouquet with a metallic aftertaste.

I have the DT880 black edition (open back) at 600 ohms. I love them. They sound fairly flat especially at that price point and extremely detailed. Figuratively night and day between my much cheaper <100$ headphones and the DT880s

If you are mostly mixing or listening in a very quiet room, go with open backs. You won't want open backs for tracking primarily, but if you do a mix of both, go with open backs.

Back
Top Bottom