Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things change during the beta phase. That's the way it is. Levels and other things may change again in further beta releases and the final release.
Certainly, however, I am assuming volume change is a by-product or result of some other update/tuning on the amp, and I am curious what that is.

Yep, the same thing here, volume gets lower with Beta 5 compared to Beta 4, e.g. Mesa amps.

It seems, even the amps updated previously in beta 4 are further updated/changed in Beta 5? @FractalAudio
It's because of the change in biasing, which affects the output volume more realistically now.

I would like to learn a bit more about the correlation of the Grid Bias control to real world values like in miliAmps or percentage of dissipation. Like on class A amps it used to be 1.0 but now it's Cathode Resistance, although you can obviously chose a value of cathode resistor that takes it out of class A.

This firmware is o_0

Here's a preset I made to cover "The start of something beautiful" by Porcupine Tree, just adapted to firmware beta 5

Watch this for a cover of the full song, using a much older firmware :

Colossal work, congrats for the cover, can't imagine how good Richard Barbieri sounds on guitar.

I’m sure it’s been said many times before, but — I absolutely LOVE being able to twiddle bias levels and alter circuit components just to hear what happens WITHOUT having to worry about blowing up something expensive and/or irreplaceable.

That said, I do miss the smell of rosin-core solder on a 40w Weller... I’m guessing that (and hot tube smells) will be an AFX-IV feature?
I asked the same thing and I heard they might be looking into putting out a Fractal scented candle for that. Like the Weller you can still burn your fingers so there’s a considerable level of realism... 😉

So my overall volume is definitely lower after this update and I read that it would change in the notes. Is using the amp block level the best parameter to address this? It was set at -20 before and my output level meter was right where it should be. I’m having to set it at +2 now to get the same results. Seems drastic to me.
The Master Volume control taper now matches the real amp. In all prior firmwares the MV taper was Log15 for every model regardless of what the real amp used. I will have to check those two models you are using to see if the taper is different from Log15.

I may return the taper back to Log15 for the final release. Haven't decided yet.

I’m more hyped with this one because we have a lot more now... argh ... what should I do ? Update ? Waiting ? 😿 I m afraid to retweak everything and redo everything once again if we have another beta or ...

1/ next one will be the final version or a beta?
2/ is it about months? Weeks? Days? (Just to know if it’s better to wait or not, if the final release comes in 2 months, maybe I will go to beta )
3/ now that you have the JP2c, did you see major changes with the 15.01 ? Can we have the shred mode button ?
4/ for those who tried both beta , are you doing major tweaks with the new one or it’s more about volume most of the time ?
Thank you

Hi Cliff,

Great stuff.

Are there going to be any changes coming soon regarding new functionality, new blocks or requests from the Wish List?

I’m more hyped with this one because we have a lot more now... argh ... what should I do ? Update ? Waiting ? 😿 I m afraid to retweak everything and redo everything once again if we have another beta or ...

1/ next one will be the final version or a beta?
2/ is it about months? Weeks? Days? (Just to know if it’s better to wait or not, if the final release comes in 2 months, maybe I will go to beta )
3/ now that you have the JP2c, did you see major changes with the 15.01 ? Can we have the shred mode button ?
4/ for those who tried both beta , are you doing major tweaks with the new one or it’s more about volume most of the time ?
Thank you
Hi, you really have nothing to lose by trying out the beta firmware. You can back up all your presets in a folder on your computer from your current firmware. Then you can try out the beta firmware and if you don't like it then you can always go back to the previous firmware and reinstall your presets from that version. It only takes a couple of minutes to backup and only a few to reinstall.
1. We generally don't know the sequence in which new releases will be, whether we get a beta or the final version is up to Fractal.
2. We generally aren't given a timeline, but since this is a larger update than most, it will take time. We also don't know how long behind the scenes this has been at work, just like all updates.
3. I'm kind of excited about this as well, I'm not even a big Mesa fan for my playing, (love JP's playing though.)
4. I am doing major tweaks with the beta and do so freely, because I backup up my previous presets.

I hope this helps in some way. I know you are looking for answers directly from Cliff, but in the meantime, this has been my experience as a Fractal user for over ten years. You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying out the beta. You can always revert to your current firmware and presets.

The Master Volume control taper now matches the real amp. In all prior firmwares the MV taper was Log15 for every model regardless of what the real amp used. I will have to check those two models you are using to see if the taper is different from Log15.

I may return the taper back to Log15 for the final release. Haven't decided yet.
Since so many users have had difficulty with the MV taper being different than the real amps (primarily putting it way too high and then complaining that their tone is too distorted or compressed), I vote to keep it authentic to the real amps, no matter how wonky they are.

Better the devil you know or something. At least it would get rid of a lot of complaints, support inquiries and threads from new users.

I will say keep it authentic to each amp so if needed I could compensate it with the Amp Level control and get it louder

Since so many users have had difficulty with the MV taper being different than the real amps (primarily putting it way too high and then complaining that their tone is too distorted or compressed), I vote to keep it authentic to the real amps, no matter how wonky they are.

Better the devil you know or something. At least it would get rid of a lot of complaints, support inquiries and threads from new users.
This is why your damned if you do damned if you don’t
you can’t/ wont please all users
but if the goal is authenticity
then i would think they should match the amps
I would also love to see the mid cut on the Herbie some day
it would be cool to have it to assign as a control switch like the real amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom