Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in a few minutes playing tonight with bare fingers (haven't found my desk stuff yet, so no picks). Nice. Choruses seem subtler for some reason, and the SpaceStation sounds a lot more AITR than before.
20210310_203459.jpg

Still assembling things. The OL griped and ran her "interrupt every 2 minutes" game when she found out I was working on my room and not on what she wanted done. :(
But look, you set up a pedalboard for her too!

@boyce89976 fw16 beta5 cab block / preamp filters default to 20k, whereas in all previous fw it was 10k, so that may be something. Most buzzy top end goes away for me around 12k, though I enjoy it.
Really? 22 pages in this thread and I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere... You'd think someone else would have noticed.

Haven't updated from beta 4 yet myself.

Really? 22 pages in this thread and I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere... You'd think someone else would have noticed.

Haven't updated from beta 4 yet myself.
Yeah, I didn't really notice it at first, but a friend of mine (in AU) confirmed it on his end with the same presets (shared months ago).

You might try rolling back the tube bias to be less hot the way Cliff discussed in an earlier post. You could see if that helps get you closer to what you had before going back to 15.
I may try that. They're all Class A (except maybe the Rocket... not 100% sure on that one). I've always run the MV at 100% on the DC30, I thought maybe I should back that off, but I'm not getting the break up that I used to get either, so that seems counter intuitive.

I feel consistency should matter. If other knobs behave as they do on the real amp then MV should as well
Although, one could argue that the volume knobs were themselves inconsistent with the other knobs on the amp.

the treble knob is useful through its entire range, eg.

Reactions: jon
Can you also imagine adjusting some of these things at your gig live?

Drummer tells you to turn up a tad....

You go from barely audible at 0.9 to blasting everyone's ears off at 1.2

Your drummer is screaming at you to try another amp instead, that one is making his ears bleed...

You go to crank up the new amp, but this one barely adjusts after 3.....

He tells you to add some high end, you go from 0.9 to 1.1 on the presence dial and blast his ears off again.....

Sounds like a fun jam right? I'm sure he'll LOVE your axe fx, cuz it's SOOOOOOOOO authentic....
I’d get a different drummer.

I really hope we don’t go to authentic MV. I hated the MV on my HRD and replacing the gimmicky pot is one of the first mods often done to this amp. It’s one of the reasons I bought a Fractal: freedom from power attenuators and a volume pot that has to be adjusted with a microscope and a set of digital calipers. MV is a pretty important parameter and I would not like it become harder to use (like on the HRD) just because the control on the real amp sucks. The guy in this thread asking for 4 decimal places in the value kind of proves the point for me.

My main argument is that for people trying to match a real amp setting, it is at least possible for you to find the right value easily, even if (GASP) the knob ends up in a different position than on your real amp. But for us who don’t own those amps and don’t care about authenticity in modelling quirky controls, having to deal with an MV that may or may not behave in a rational manner seems like a step backwards. And unlike on a real amp, I can’t rip it out and replace it with a log pot.

I really hope we don’t go to authentic MV. I hated the MV on my HRD and replacing the gimmicky pot is one of the first mods often done to this amp. It’s one of the reasons I bought a Fractal: freedom from power attenuators and a volume pot that has to be adjusted with a microscope and a set of digital calipers. MV is a pretty important parameter and I would not like it become harder to use (like on the HRD) just because the control on the real amp sucks. The guy in this thread asking for 4 decimal places in the value kind of proves the point for me.

My main argument is that for people trying to match a real amp setting, it is at least possible for you to find the right value easily, even if (GASP) the knob ends up in a different position than on your real amp. But for us who don’t own those amps and don’t care about authenticity in modelling quirky controls, having to deal with an MV that may or may not behave in a rational manner seems like a step backwards. And unlike on a real amp, I can’t rip it out and replace it with a log pot.
Yup, and you can imagine how happy the sleeping wife would be when you're making the final tweaks to your preset on your brand new axe fx at 2am and you excitedly bump up the MV just a smidgen, waking up her, the dog and the neighbors.....

'But honey, I can't send it back, it gets me great tones at bedroom volumes so you can sleep at night!'

Yup, and you can imagine how happy the sleeping wife would be when you're making the final tweaks to your preset on your brand new axe fx at 2am and you excitedly bump up the MV just a smidgen, waking up her, the dog and the neighbors.....

'But honey, I can't send it back, it gets me great tones at bedroom volumes so you can sleep at night!'
Yes exactly. It’s a PITA and it’s depressing thinking of having to put up with it in the world’s best modeller. There is no advantage to having a control work that way. It’s an annoyance with no upside. If all the amps in the world had a sensible taper, I don’t think anyone would ask Cliff: “hey Cliff, could we please have a volume pot where all the range is packed into a few millimeters, and the rest of the range does nothing?”

@tysonlt I've never played a hot rod deluxe, but so far none of the amps in the Axe I've tried in beta 5 have had a drastic jump in a tiny range like that, not even close. I'm pretty sure I've never encountered an amp anywhere like what you've described in real life either. Someone needs to slap whoever thought it would be a good idea to go from 0 to nuke in .001 increments.

@tysonlt I've never played a hot rod deluxe, but so far none of the amps in the Axe I've tried in beta 5 have had a drastic jump in a tiny range like that, not even close. I'm pretty sure I've never encountered an amp anywhere like what you've described in real life either. Someone needs to slap whoever thought it would be a good idea to go from 0 to nuke in .001 increments.
Well I am exaggerating for effect 😊 but most of the range is before 2. Between .5 and 1.5 out of 12 is a massive jump, then minimal change after that. I heard they deliberately use the wrong type of pot (linear) so that when people try it on 1 or 2 in store it sounds really loud, and they think, imagine it on 12!!

They changed the volume and treble pots to proper audio pots in 2010 with the HRD III, but I have the II and it has linear pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom