Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 4 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think that I have ever posted about new firmware. This is outrageous. Currently across the room from my III is a vintage 1987 plexi. I adjusted nothing except the volumes, and it is dead-on. More important, my 1987 is one of the best sounding amps. My muso mates and the two best local techs would kill for it. And here it is, inside Cygnus. I’m super surprised.

Installed 16 and played for a while this morning on SLO100 + couple of others w no fx.

Initial 2cents:
  • Sounds more cab in the room like via my studio monitors.
  • More low end punch.
  • More Dynamic.
  • Chords ringing out seem to have a kind of "zing" feel/tone - like when I was a kid throwing fastballs - "thud...zing". Maybe it was there before but seems like something new or more in the face.
  • More "grain" / less "hair" maybe, or just ..."more gravel".
  • Very raw sounding. I'll need to step up my fx dialing-in abilities to get the refined/recorded tones I like best as a mid level player who wants my playing deficiencies covered up lol!. Worth it though as I feel so far, the core tone in 16 may make a "trueer foundation" for processed tones that have compression/fx added.

I was thinking about this same thing. That as we're getting closer to the amp n the room feel/tone, more production might be needed when recording. Not saying that's a bad thing by any means. It's really exciting!!!

I feel like this captures the speakers' role in the tone chain. Even when I roll back the volume to get a clean tone, the reaction is more similar to my 4x12 cab (I'm playing thru a Xitone but listen to everyone's clips thru my DXR10's). I don't do all that much recording anyway but maybe now I'll dive into the compression block or add it as a plug in. IF (big if) I even need it.

I just set up my 2 AXE FXIIIs side by side, using the same Matrix amp, going into the same floor monitors.
I kept one at the latest 15 firmware and updated the other to 16 public beta 4 Cygnus.
I can say, for me, without a doubt 16 beta 4 Cygnus takes the AXE FXIII to a new level.
Every amp I use sounds larger, clearer and cuts through the mix better.
I also noticed many of the untouched presets, that I tried and didn't like, have now become very good sounding.
Thanks Cliff for the dedication you show towards your product.

Question on the Cameron Atomica: the bright switch in the model sounds very different in this release, is this the same situation as the Freidman where the Atomica didn't have a bright switch? It sounds great without the bright switch on.

Now that I played it all day, pretty much everything except 5153100W RED sounds great. This one however sounds looser and muddier than before.(According to my older Presets) Maybe it sounds closer to original thing and I liked the fw15.01 version better.

Now that I played it all day, pretty much everything except 5153100W RED sounds great. This one however sounds looser and muddier than before.(According to my older Presets) Maybe it sounds closer to original thing and I liked the fw15.01 version better.

Interesting ....If I’m not mistaken....the reviews on this model with Cygnus fall on the extreme parts of the spectrum.

Question on the Cameron Atomica: the bright switch in the model sounds very different in this release, is this the same situation as the Freidman where the Atomica didn't have a bright switch? It sounds great without the bright switch on.

I have an Atomica clone with switchable bright caps and I rarely use them, same with the model. Pushing the MV on the Cygnus model now is GLORIOUS.

Oh my - this AC20 is spectacular. I love Gary Louris' tone and I am trying to get close with this. I think the fuzz is especially good with this amp.

Attachments

• AC20 ++.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 72
I'm revved up and ready to riff, chug, and shred baby!
but hey one thing we gotta get straight here...
I'm a Chugglehead thank you very much 😒

oh wow I didn't expect it to be nearly 2 am where I am now after making that post..... I thought I was only 10 minutes into testing... cliff invented a dang time machine along with making this thing sound even better

anyways chugging perfected it does as advertised this is amazing 8 string never sounded this clear to me before and I'm only running a bear bones gate/boost-> amp + cab -> small room verb patch I threw together too! (trying the FAS Brootalz amp with the peavy and EVH up next!)

well made cliff and team!

All amp models will be updated. No new factory presets are available at the moment. We don't know, if there will be updated factory presets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom