Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here and maybe this is taboo to talk about but after tryin out all these beeeta releases and loving them it occurred to me that there has got to be some guys over at Neural going "WTF?, we were supposed to be the best this year". It just seems a little unfair to see all the hype on their QC and then Cliff drops this......just sayin...... Thank you Cliff and staff at FAS
Math isn’t one of my strengths. My classes were on the other end of campus, but I do know this much.....an algorithm is not an algorithm is not an algorithm.

HBE C45 is friggin amazing! Its just so dang versatile. Minimal tweaks (using Leon's TV Mix cab), very nice mid bumps for solos...small scoops in output eq for most any metal rhythm backing tracks. Back off gain and small adjustments for the dirty crunch fun. Really, really impressed.

I'm not a deep parameter fella, so the immediate ability to dial this without research really makes the inner Neanderthal happy lol.

Doubleneck said:
Found a possible glitch on the USA Lead Mid Gain, It’s louder than the other USA Lead models, it wasn’t like this prior to Cygnus. I attached a preset, switch between the four USA Lead Models scenes as an example.
Turn the level down.
My post was meant to be constructive, obviously you can turn down the level. Previously the USA Lead, USA Lead Bright, USA Lead Mid Gain and USA Lead Mid Gain Bright models were the same level, wasn't sure if they changed level wise with the new firmware.

why the presence shift button on sounds like this with the USA lead mid gain bright ? is it something normally on this amp ? sound weird

Thank you for your help! The grid bias seems to be the culprit in making things sound darker. I just tested a couple real amps with their counterpart models and had to drop the grid bias to get them to open up more in the top end like my real heads. Maybe the models are now programmed with slightly hotter bias defaults and that’s why they’re perceived to be a bit darker in the top end.

That means your heads are biased cold or haven't warmed up completely. The grid bias, however, was not changed between this beta and the previous version.

If I remember right though, the biases in Cygnus are all defaulting a little hotter than in 15 because with the improves excursion algorithms the hotter bias sound is more realistic? So not a change from the previous beta, but perhaps noticeable compared so the last official release?

If I remember right though, the biases in Cygnus are all defaulting a little hotter than in 15 because with the improves excursion algorithms the hotter bias sound is more realistic? So not a change from the previous beta, but perhaps noticeable compared so the last official release?
Not quite. The early Cygnus betas were colder than the later betas. Originally I had set the bias equal to the reference amps but many of the reference amps are biased cold because most manufacturers bias amps cold from the factory for warranty reasons. In the later betas I put the bias points at where a technician would typically bias an amp after replacing the tubes, i.e. 60-70% of max. plate dissipation.

That is IF you can go back to FW15. I can't, Cygnus sounds too good! Carol Ann cuddles a little more ferociously, but that might a response to me being more touchy-feely. I'm two-timing with the Tweed Deluxe, though, very nice with the jumper. Not to mention the other head turners. So many hot channels to plug into, I'm not getting much sleep.

Well, I know what I’m doing when I get home; loading up a blank preset, dropping a Carol Ann in it and naming the preset ‘Ferocious Cuddler”. Would have been a good name for one of the kittens we just fostered!

I'm new here and maybe this is taboo to talk about but after tryin out all these beeeta releases and loving them it occurred to me that there has got to be some guys over at Neural going "WTF?, we were supposed to be the best this year". It just seems a little unfair to see all the hype on their QC and then Cliff drops this......just sayin...... Thank you Cliff and staff at FAS

Instead they’ve got QC owners comparing the modeling/effects to an Atomic Amplifire. And that’s all I’m gonna say bout dat. ;)

Me too. And Cygnus really picks up whatever pick/string percussive sound or scrape is happening. If anyone isn’t hearing a difference, I would think you’d at least “feel” a big difference in terms of response - from pick to string to sound.
You know what’s funny, after updating to Cygnus beta 12, I noticed that it sounds like it’s picking up my slight “fretting out” noise more than it used to, like a real amp would! This could be due to the fact that I was wearing decent headphones last night, and I’m used to just my studio monitors or shure 215 in ears, but I seemed to notice right off the bat after updating. I don’t know if I just never noticed before or not.

Not quite. The early Cygnus betas were colder than the later betas. Originally I had set the bias equal to the reference amps but many of the reference amps are biased cold because most manufacturers bias amps cold from the factory for warranty reasons. In the later betas I put the bias points at where a technician would typically bias an amp after replacing the tubes, i.e. 60-70% of max. plate dissipation.
This is sort of a glancing blow question but... do the amp models in terms of how they interact with power supply sag and/or supply time constants at particular bias settings also figure in the max cathode current for the tube being used? Unlike plate voltage, cathode current is more of a real world hard limit as it contributes to plate dissipation. Do the models adhere to this limit or allow for plate dissipations at a given plate voltage to exceed the Ik max for the tube?

Can we have more info for the rv50 mk2 ?
Is it the combo or the head ?
As I m surprise to put the gain at 10 and a ts808 as boost and not have so much gain, I remembered that the original I tried got a lot more gain 🤨.
so I have check a lot of demos and yep I wasn’t dreaming . Without any boost the amp have tons of gain if you want it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom