Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did something happen to the presence/top end in this firmware? I'm having a hard time getting sizzle and air from any amps. When I turn the presence up, the upper mids get more aggressive, but I can't seem to get that air back for some reason. I tried super fizzy amps like the Recto, Mark IV (with presence shift on), Angle Severe, Plexi, and several others that typically have more of that quality than I tend to like, but I couldn't get any amp to do it. Am I the only one feeling like things are on the darker side? Is there something I might be missing?
I would say cygnus in general is a darker fw but I have no problem to make even herbie ch3 fizzy. maybe we have different definition of what fizzy/airy means :)

Last edited:
Did something happen to the presence/top end in this firmware? I'm having a hard time getting sizzle and air from any amps. When I turn the presence up, the upper mids get more aggressive, but I can't seem to get that air back for some reason. I tried super fizzy amps like the Recto, Mark IV (with presence shift on), Angle Severe, Plexi, and several others that typically have more of that quality than I tend to like, but I couldn't get any amp to do it. Am I the only one feeling like things are on the darker side? Is there something I might be missing?
Sounds as usual for me. Maybe tone pot rolled down on your guitar?

I had this wierd thing happen right now..i was playing , then i was copying A channel to or something in Axe Edit.. and maby some more things..and all of a sudden i was like..hmm were is the high end sound the treble was all gone
Then i closed axe edit, and opend again.. i think.. And there was the treble again

Cygnus definitely has a chunky low end, which is great, but the top end is sounding like there’s a low pass filter on it. I wanted to match my Marshall JCM Slash head and couldn’t find anything that had air on the top end. The reference amp had plenty of bite and sizzle, so I know it’s not a guitar issue. I re-downloaded and installed the firmware a second time with the same results. I’ll try @SeeD ‘s suggestion and see if Axe-Edit is doing something funny.

There were no changes to the algorithms and no changes to those particular models.

Sounds really good! Just loaded up the Orange RV50 and noticed it needed a lot of deep parameter edits to get it to come to life. Gain = 10, Pre-amp boost Tube Screamer Mod at 12. Pre-amp low cut adjusted up to nearly 200 to get the low end to tighten up. I don't recall having to do that in previous FW. I know with Cynus the amps behave differently but I didn't expect it to need as much as described. I'm making an assumption the Orange amps have been updated. Thank you again! Having lots of fun with Cygnus!

To get an AXE FX has been my dream for a long long time. To get an AXE FX III has been amazing. I feel extremely fortunate to have the greatest guitar processor ever made. For real.
I never knew that Cliff put in so much effort on continuing development until I joined the club somewhere around FW 9.0. It's been non-stop amazing updates ever since. I love this sh!t!!!!!! Better than my car, better than my house. If I lost everything else, I would always keep my AXE FX and one good guitar to get me through. Thank you Cliff !!!!!

Found a possible glitch on the USA Lead Mid Gain, It’s louder than the other USA Lead models, it wasn’t like this prior to Cygnus. I attached a preset, switch between the four USA Lead Models scenes as an example.

Attachments

• USA Lead Mid Gain.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Cygnus definitely has a chunky low end, which is great, but the top end is sounding like there’s a low pass filter on it. I wanted to match my Marshall JCM Slash head and couldn’t find anything that had air on the top end. The reference amp had plenty of bite and sizzle, so I know it’s not a guitar issue. I re-downloaded and installed the firmware a second time with the same results. I’ll try @SeeD ‘s suggestion and see if Axe-Edit is doing something funny.
I haven't noticed anything lacking like you are describing. I did notice the Angle 1 sounded thin to me and turning up the bass didn't do much but after some major tweaking I got a killer tone going.

Sounds really good! Just loaded up the Orange RV50 and noticed it needed a lot of deep parameter edits to get it to come to life. Gain = 10, Pre-amp boost Tube Screamer Mod at 12. Pre-amp low cut adjusted up to nearly 200 to get the low end to tighten up. I don't recall having to do that in previous FW. I know with Cynus the amps behave differently but I didn't expect it to need as much as described. I'm making an assumption the Orange amps have been updated. Thank you again! Having lots of fun with Cygnus!
Same feel here with the orange . I don’t use boost in most of my presets but the orange really needs it . I do similar settings than you . Yes, not a lot of gain .

I have trouble finding a good metal tone with the tri axis , I think I need to add a boost 😕 . I like playing without boost , it sound less synthetic . The cut button is my friend most of the time

I think the Angle Severe 1 and 2 have lost some depth it is also really bright ??

EDIT: or i might be wrong... hmmm

I have found that when using value knob with faster movement, the display is kinda slow and not smooth as before. anybody can confirm ?

also jp2c models shows on ax3 display only input gain and instead of overdrive knob there’s input trim.

Edit : I know real jp2c has only 1 gain knob, but I thought that input gain is pre-set and we can vary the amount of overdrive with overdrive pot.. hmm, maybe I am wrong

I have found that when using value knob with faster movement, the display is kinda slow and not smooth as before. anybody can confirm ?

also jp2c models shows on ax3 display o only input gain and instead of overdrive knob there’s input trim.
There were no changes to the display code. Your preset is probably using a lot of cpu.

The JP2C only has a single gain control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom