Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious: Which of these Axe III Friedman HBE/BE models do you like the most? Never had a real Friedman amp and would like to hear an opinion from a long-term user.
Seconding this, there are so many it's a little overwhelming for me. All I really know is the HBE's are higher gain than the BE's. I've referenced the amp models list on the wiki but stuff like "voice switch in the left position" doesn't mean much to me. I know I need to just sit down with them and try them all out, but I'm curious what specifically to listen for between the different models, or if people have any favorite tips for dialing them in.

Just curious: Which of these Axe III Friedman HBE/BE models do you like the most? Never had a real Friedman amp and would like to hear an opinion from a long-term user.
before I loved hbe 2018 c45 and BE V1.

Now I love them all, they are equally good now and no weird “fuzzyness” anymore.

But generally, I prefer V1 versions as they are brighter.

friedmans are dark amps in general, so V1 works for me the best - same as in real life :)

Seconding this, there are so many it's a little overwhelming for me. All I really know is the HBE's are higher gain than the BE's. I've referenced the amp models list on the wiki but stuff like "voice switch in the left position" doesn't mean much to me. I know I need to just sit down with them and try them all out, but I'm curious what specifically to listen for between the different models, or if people have any favorite tips for dialing them in.
V1 are the brightest ones. V2 darker. V3 even darker.

If you use v2 or v3, make sure to boost the treble or presence and set another amp block with v1 version and compare for yourself.

you will hear that the high end is totally different in v2,v3 and by adjusting the hi end, you can make them to have different character, which is not the same thing as if u just use v1 and lower the treble/presence.

edit : one could say that v2, v3 are more in realms of bogners.

got stung by a red wasp on my fretting hand( pic is actually reversed) and I'm like super miserably puffed up
View attachment 81692

Could be worse...

79614_original.jpg

Last edited:
There's so much to like and love in this release.

It's hard to highlight positive surprises because there are so many. From the top of my head, so far I really like the Bludojai, OD-2, Comets, FT37, Dweezil's Bassguy, FAS Class-A.

Even amp models which don't sound that great at default settings, can be easily tweaked using just the authentic controls. "Div/13 CJ Boost" sounds pretty awful. But crank the Master, turn down Bass a lot and Drive a little, and I like it.

Any way to do an amp reset without losing the eq and speaker settings ? Redoing all the Mesa 5 band EQs is a pain.

I did try to keep up reading about the betas and now I made the jump and installed this update. Can anyone tell me where the Cygnus magic happens? Which settings do you tweak to make cygnus come to life? Just installing it made no audible difference to my ears.
There are two major pieces that were updated:
1. Base modeling (nothing you have to do for that).
2. Speaker compression algorithm is very different and has a lot of magic. Have to dial that thing in. If your speaker compression (dynamics) is at the default 0, you’re missing out.

The speaker compression is very subtle but I add it now . It makes the sound more dirty (lightly) .

I have some questions about the input eq :
Why some amps got no cut, or 50, or 300 etc in the amp block input eq ?
is it something set to match the amp?
is is just something done with cliff’s taste ?
I mean why they are not all at zero by default ?
Is this something done in the end of the modeling process ?
thank you

@My name is mud, Input EQ is a key part of amp design usually to control gain structure (e.g. eliminate low end muddiness in high preamp gain designs).

Of course we can tweak it to taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom