Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did try to keep up reading about the betas and now I made the jump and installed this update. Can anyone tell me where the Cygnus magic happens? Which settings do you tweak to make cygnus come to life? Just installing it made no audible difference to my ears.
Do an A/B comparison clip, that's usually the best way to hear the differences more objectively.

What are you monitoring through?

I’ll try it loud and see what happens.

Keep in mind, unless you’re already familiar with the pre-Cygnus models, you may not hear a big difference. While we seem like we’re going crazy over it and there’s massive changes that’d you think you’d hear immediately, it’s because most of us have been playing through these models for a couple years now.

With the Cygnus update, there was a shift from high-end focus to the low mids on a lot of the models. I could hear it right away because I’m sensitive to highs in the 3K-4K range and used to put an EQ after my cab blocks to dial some of that back, which I’ve been removing since Cygnus popped up.

As Jon said above, your best bet to really hear it is to record some tracks of the previous FW and record some DI’s at the same time, update it and then run the DI’s through the updated models then compare. While there are differences in the cleaner amps, I’ve heard it much more apparent and noticeable in the high gain amps. Some amps highlight it, some amps it’s more subtle.

I did try to keep up reading about the betas and now I made the jump and installed this update. Can anyone tell me where the Cygnus magic happens? Which settings do you tweak to make cygnus come to life? Just installing it made no audible difference to my ears.

TBH I didn't really hear it either, just noodling. But, try it in a mix. For me, that's when it was more obvious.. Seemed that guitar just stood out a little-more and carried a better all-round definition with a truer more amp-like reproduction. I don't have the Golden Ears of The Gods, but I did really notice something better in a mix..

Keep in mind that I'm an old-timey amp/stomp-box kinda guy, so rarely jump on the firmware update bandwagon. I don't use many amp models either, so I might possibly assume that the latest tweaks would be more obvious on some models than others. But, this update has been a net positive for me so-far.

If you use your old presets from Ares try making an amp reset and you would hear the difference and the magic. Also I would recommend a "system reset" going from a previous firmware. May be that will help.

So an amp reset is just changing the amp block to something and changing it back to the original model? Tweak to taste? Does a system reset do that for all of them or does it reset all of your FC's, etc?

Sorry for the dumb questions...I've had an Axe Standard, an AX8, but I've only had the AX3 for 2 months

Ill be honest I have had my axefx now for about 4 months, and I don't notice the difference between Cygnus and Ares - probably because I haven't had as much time as everyone else.(Used since beta came out) As far as Im concerned it still sounds the same as before, and that means it still sounds amazing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom