Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 12 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the old Buttery get moved to a 'FAS Buttery' or similar? I haven't loaded any of the Cygnus stuff, yet. I understand progress and all, and am glad to have a new model based on the real deal, but the Buttery has been a long time favorite, so would love to see it still around. It's a keeper, IMHO and a fine original effort on your part, Cliff! :)
+1. It was the first default dirty amp used in building my "amp collection" presets....

I'm sure the Friedman changes are an improvement in the authenticity, so I'm afraid to ask for this, but I was quite fond of the beta 11 tone, so if anybody has any success getting that tone with the beta 12, please share what you found.
Me too but as you said it’s certainly an improvement. Try a neutral boost in the preamp section... it helps..

Last edited:
So the Friedmans got reworked...so then it's no placebo and no bug and everything works as intended. They sound great. Maybe I tweak the BE V1 again into beastmode but it seems HBE V1 already starts as that beast with it's default values.
Yes I really feel the « new » hbe is almost like the old be c45 in ares 15 in terms of gain...
I tried a real be deluxe last Saturday and it seemed to sound like this but I with a bit more gain than in beta 12. But I trust Cliff if he says it’s meant to be like this ;-)

I've made a set of presets that contain all the Friedmans at the scenes. They are all a pleasure to play! Even with default values, except pumping up Gain and Master Vol.

Grab your guitar and enjoy life!

The technology holds promise but it's hardly perfect. I'm still of the opinion that our white box approach is superior at this time. It's just not as sexy because it doesn't use the latest technology buzzwords.

I have some ideas on how to improve the technology that we're going to look in to.
Stick to what feels best to you; You've got killer modeling and have had a string of great ideas that have resulted in a great products and sound.

I've been bouncing back and forth between my FX3 and FM3 for the last two days, and I'm really looking forward to having Cygnus on the FM3 so I can toss presets back and forth between the two without having to retweak.

We chuckleheads will follow you anywhere. :)

Cliff, I'm not suggesting that anything be changed, but can you share any information about what you improved in the Friedman V2 in beta 12 that might provide a clue about how to dial in the beta 11 tone in beta 12?

Would it be possible to have a list of factory bias values? The hotter bias is boosting some upper midrange frequencies and clouding top end in certain amps that balance out when the bias is reduced. The hotter bias probably works great with certain amps, but it would be nice to have that info in order to set certain amps back to “factory specs” without having to guess what the appropriate value should be.

I'd like that too. or at least the values of where the earlier betas were set to, equal to the reference amps, quoting Cliff here...:

"The early Cygnus betas were colder than the later betas. Originally I had set the bias equal to the reference amps but many of the reference amps are biased cold because most manufacturers bias amps cold from the factory for warranty reasons. In the later betas I put the bias points at where a technician would typically bias an amp after replacing the tubes, i.e. 60-70% of max. plate dissipation."

Suggestion for those who are unsatisfied with some aspect of the tone at the new firmware:

1) Use a reamped track to create clips with the old and the new firmware version, for a proper A/B comparison
2) Post both clips and the preset, so you can receive advice from FAS or from other users of the forum

Yup, there's a bug in the Rockerverb. It depends on what amp you were using before so it was really hard to find. If you were using certain amp models before switching to the RV then the gain will be off.
could that have sneaked in with some other models as well, as the Tweed Twin and VH4 were mentioned as well ?

There is

I leveled the two sounds. There’s almost 3db less on the 12. It sounds less « heavy » to me. Sounds ok for you?

Both sound good to me. I prefer 12.
If you perceive it less heavy, maybe you could try increasing a bit of hardness at preamp or power tubes, or just increase these 3db, or retouch BMT eq, or any other fine adjustment. It is not that much different

Last edited:
Suggestion for those who are unsatisfied with some aspect of the tone at the new firmware:

1) Use a reamped track to create clips with the old and the new firmware version, for a proper A/B comparison
2) Post both clips and the preset, so you can receive advice from FAS or from other users of the forum
This is a great suggestion because it corrects any false memories. I was having a rough go with Cygnus last night and was convinced it was a step backward (somehow). Then I turned the volume up, and everything sounded as good as I remembered.

To my ears the Friedmans sound and feel better than ever in Beta 12. Have also made a few presets with scenes to cover all the latest versions to experiment with. Thanks Cliff and team!

This is a great suggestion because it corrects any false memories. I was having a rough go with Cygnus last night and was convinced it was a step backward (somehow). Then I turned the volume up, and everything sounded as good as I remembered.
Not everyone here records though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom