Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned be50 deluxe and be100 deluxe... about those v1, v2, v3 positions ...

in real amp v1 is the middle position - brightest top end.

v3 should be the darkest position.

these positions on real amp does nothing to low end, it always stays the same, it just cuts the top end.

v1 - no top end cut
v2 - darker
v3 - even darker top end
I also own the BE-50. What are your thoughts on that amp compared to the BE models in the Axe? I find them both to be fairly different. The BE-50 seems like it has less gain and a less compressed, more open sound on the BE channel compared to the Axe models (even with the gain structure on the highest setting). Cranking the gain on the 50 gets me to about 50% on the Axe model. Supposedly the BE channel is the same between the 50 and the 100, but I'm not so sure.

I also own the BE-50. What are your thoughts on that amp compared to the BE models in the Axe? I find them both to be fairly different. The BE-50 seems like it has less gain and a less compressed, more open sound on the BE channel compared to the Axe models (even with the gain structure on the highest setting). Cranking the gain on the 50 gets me to about 50% on the Axe model. Supposedly the BE channel is the same between the 50 and the 100, but I'm not so sure.
Do you have the structure switch in the high gain position in your BE? Or could you have the master on the model high enough that you’re getting power amp distortion that you’re not hearing on the real amp? I had 50 and currently have a 100, to me they both have a similar amount of gain and match the Axe fairly closely.

I hear the same differences as you.

before owning the be-50 dlx, I had only ax8 and used be v1 and then 2018 hbe c45 as my main amp models, which I liked a lot.

I was so accustomed to those sounds in ax8 that I was shocked how different the be50 dlx was, not in a good way tbh.

I wasn’t impressed by buxom clean ch. that many people raved about either.

Be channel was the best ch. on that amp.
I had to crank the gain to 8 though, to have level of overdrive I was used to (with gain structure on highest setting).
That worked for me as a solid crunch sound.

The problem was with hbe.
Very strange version and I didn’t like it at all.
I had to use BE ch. with SAT switch for hi gain, as it sounded much better than HBE IMO.

Overall that amp didn’t worked for me.

HBE in be100dlx was much better, but that amp had many of the same similarities with be50dlx, which I was not loving that much.

Then I got JJ 100 and modded to my needs, where every channel is great, but I now prefer my ax3 sound compared to it so much, that I feel like I’m OK to let go my best amp.

*sorry for my english

Check out Brett Kingman's YouTube channel. He's done a vid with he HiWatt using the beta and you can download the preset.

The HiWatt takes pedals very well.
I tried it with a Shredmaster Drive and it was great.
Just spent half the day wondering why the Hipower sounded so F'd up ... WE'VE GOT A COCKED WAH OVER HERE💩

Sounds very nice now and does take pedals very well 🤭

Just spent half the day wondering why the Hipower sounded so F'd up ... WE'VE GOT A COCKED WAH OVER HERE💩

reminds of when I spent a day figuring out why my Axe was so noisy, forgot that I also had a patch cable in the rear input 1 but it was half in the jack....

If I ever get done working, Hipower is my next one to test in Cygnus :)

I've been caught with that one several times, including on Buddy's Live and Gold sets. Also some of Burg's presets have that, as well as a rotary block engaged. I've now learned always to go through and neutralize those - although I'm not sure why they always default to 'ON'... I don't even have an expression pedal attached to my AF3 and FC-12. Never use a Wah, and don't like rotary as an effect - but that's just me. But it would be better if they were set to 'OFF' as the default, so that those who want to use them (eg Wah) can turn them on. In other words, opt in rather than opt out.

Do you have the structure switch in the high gain position in your BE? Or could you have the master on the model high enough that you’re getting power amp distortion that you’re not hearing on the real amp? I had 50 and currently have a 100, to me they both have a similar amount of gain and match the Axe fairly closely.
So to update my original comment, I pulled my BE-100 Dlx out tonight and hooked it up to a Suhr RL going into input 2 on the Axe. I created a preset where I could easily flip back and forth between the BE channel on the real amp and the BE v2 model in the Axe going into same IR. I reset the amp block, put B/M/T depth and presence all at noon on the model and amp, the structure switch on the amp was in the high gain position, SAT, FAT and C45 were off. The master on the real amp was at around 9 o'clock and I turned the master volume on the model down so it was just under the point that it started to max out the headroom meter. I'm not sure how Cliff had the response and thump switches set (or if he modeled the Deluxe version for that matter), so I put them in the middle position. I also assumed the "v2" model corresponds to the voicing switch being in the left position, which is the middle of the road as far as brightness. I selected the Greenback impedance curve since that should match the curve on the Suhr RL. To A/B I alternated between plugging directly into input 1 on the Axe and the input on the BE.

I wouldn't say my real BE has 50% less gain than the model, but it does have noticeably less even with the gain on the model and amp both set to 10. There was also a good bit more low end on the model, but that may be due to the response and thump settings not being the same. I could easily fix that by tweaking depth, bass or the input EQ low cut. Overall the model sounds pretty close considering I'm not 100% sure I have all of the response/thump/voicing switches set the same as the modeled amp. But I can't really explain the gain difference. Maybe I need to look at my input settings on the Axe to make sure nothing wonky is going on there.

Last edited:
Spent way too much time doing this, but I wanted to see if I could clone an amp that's not modeled in the Axe-Fx III without using a Tone Match block and only messing with basic and advanced controls in the Amp block. So this is a comparison of my '94 Marshall SL-X and the Brit 800 Mod model. The real amp has four 12AX7's in the preamp, so I had to find creative ways to get that sound/feeling to match the model with the amp, but I think it sounds pretty stinkin' close. It's probably 90% there, but there's no way I'd be able to tell the difference in a full mix. The tweak-ability of the Axe is absolutely incredible and shows how accurate Cygnus modeling is. The fact that you can basically mod any amp model you want and get it to sound like something else is pretty wild.

The clip goes "A" full pass, "B" full pass, and "A" switching to "B" mid-pass.

Love this tone. The JCM900 SLX was my first tube amp. Any chance of sharing this preset? Which IR?

Last edited:
Revisiting my core presets and I'm continually caught off guard at just how much the Fenders have changed. The core amp of this preset is the '65 Bassguy Bass model and it used to get a bit farty and fuzzy in the low ends if I pushed it too much with input signal. It's a lot more strident and the bottom end holds together a lot nicer now. The top end isn't a sizzly for the same settings.

No clips. Working through wine and a Dead & Co re-play of a Mexico show. But do enjoy the preset. It's built around my PRS HB Spruce so a darker guitar with some mid-output humbuckers. Adjust to suit your guitar.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 10.35.49 PM.png
Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8796

Revisiting my core presets and I'm continually caught off guard at just how much the Fenders have changed. The core amp of this preset is the '65 Bassguy Bass model and it used to get a bit farty and fuzzy in the low ends if I pushed it too much with input signal. It's a lot more strident and the bottom end holds together a lot nicer now. The top end isn't a sizzly for the same settings.

No clips. Working through wine and a Dead & Co re-play of a Mexico show. But do enjoy the preset. It's built around my PRS HB Spruce so a darker guitar with some mid-output humbuckers. Adjust to suit your guitar.

View attachment 81076
Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8796
I've been stuck on the 59 Bassman pretty much since the first Cygnus beta I loaded. Haven't even tried the 65. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

I did have great fun with the Blues Junior Fat last night. Turned Master Volume to 7 and bass down just a smidge with an RC Boost in front. Nice!

I've been stuck on the 59 Bassman pretty much since the first Cygnus beta I loaded. Haven't even tried the 65. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

I did have great fun with the Blues Junior Fat last night. Turned Master Volume to 7 and bass down just a smidge with an RC Boost in front. Nice!
I use the '65 Bass all wrong -- it was Dweezil's amp and meant to be cranked. But it pops nice at low input gain settings. I like it.

Did you see the previous posts about the Low Cut on the Input EQ of the Amp block? Probably accounts for that...
That only affects the models of the HBE channel as far as I know. The low cut in the BE is around 300Hz, but the HBE is much lower. I only was only comparing the BE channel.

So to update my original comment, I pulled my BE-100 Dlx out tonight and hooked it up to a Suhr RL going into input 2 on the Axe. I created a preset where I could easily flip back and forth between the BE channel on the real amp and the BE v2 model in the Axe going into same IR. I reset the amp block, put B/M/T depth and presence all at noon on the model and amp, the structure switch on the amp was in the high gain position, SAT, FAT and C45 were off. The master on the real amp was at around 9 o'clock and I turned the master volume on the model down so it was just under the point that it started to max out the headroom meter. I'm not sure how Cliff had the response and thump switches set (or if he modeled the Deluxe version for that matter), so I put them in the middle position. I also assumed the "v2" model corresponds to the voicing switch being in the left position, which is the middle of the road as far as brightness. I selected the Greenback impedance curve since that should match the curve on the Suhr RL. To A/B I alternated between plugging directly into input 1 on the Axe and the input on the BE.

I wouldn't say my real BE has 50% less gain than the model, but it does have noticeably less even with the gain on the model and amp both set to 10. There was also a good bit more low end on the model, but that may be due to the response and thump settings not being the same. I could easily fix that by tweaking depth, bass or the input EQ low cut. Overall the model sounds pretty close considering I'm not 100% I have all of the response/thump/voicing switches set the same as the modeled amp. But I can't really explain the gain difference. Maybe I need to look at my input settings on the Axe to make sure nothing wonky is going on there.
Record it and TAG Cliff so he can reference it! It is as important as describing it!

Record it and TAG Cliff so he can reference it! It is as important as describing it!
As I said, I have no idea if I have all of the voicing switches set to the same position as the modeled amp. So the difference I hear in the low end may be due to a discrepancy there. I was mainly interested in the gain level since the other poster mentioned that the model has much more gain than his BE-50. The model has more gain than my BE-100’s BE channel too, but not drastically so.

I use the '65 Bass all wrong -- it was Dweezil's amp and meant to be cranked. But it pops nice at low input gain settings. I like it.

That's where I live, mostly, so I shall explore :)
I didn't use your preset but I did try the model with a low Input Drive (about 3) plus my favorite RC Boost in front (using single coil) and it's nice. But I also spent more time with the Junior Blues Fat model and I'm really digging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom