Axe FX II XL+ support

jyflorida

Power User
Just wondering if there will be continued support, firmware releases, etc. for the "II's" or if it's effectively reached the end of product life?

The AFII and AFII MKII ran out of room for future firmware updates a while back. But Cliff massaged everything to allow them to continue. My guess is their days are numbered. From what I understand the XL's have plenty of room and knowing Cliff/Fractal the XL's are far from EOL.

Axe2/mk2 had no room just because the the amp block had a knob to select the modelling version. Taking out old modelling versions saved enough space to continue.

Just bought an XL+ a few months ago - hopefully updates will continue, as there's plenty of room left. If not, I can definitely understand them devoting their resources to the III and any related products down the road (Axe-8 III?).

There is a big difference between support and updates. I am sure they will continue to support the II...... bug fixes, Axe-Edit compatibility, hardware repair, etc.... it is the "updates" that are in question I think.

Absolutely. I'm sure support will continue as long as parts are in stock or available. Purely speculation on my part but I'm guessing we'll see one or two more firmware releases - then that'll be it.

Well AX8 and the other are smaller than AFX II Mk 2 and they have been released not long time ago. I dont think they will not have more updates or support for that reason. It is clear that somewhere in the future updates will finish but I think it will not be from one day to another

+1
Would be an awesome unit with the much needed extra processing power! Probably at least another year away, but I'm sure it's on the roadmap, possibly even in the works... ? The future is bright!
I'd probably be more interested in the AX8 III than the Axe FX 3 If it has about the same processing power as Axe 2.

I wonder if the AX8 sales might not see an impact with folks subscribing to that line of thought if it is the case. The II and AX8 seem to share a code base. If they stop the 2 cold like they did the 1s then the AX8 will likely stop for the most part too... a Helix or Headrush would look a lot more viable to prospective customers interested in an evolving platform.

I'd probably be more interested in the AX8 III than the Axe FX 3 If it has about the same processing power as Axe 2.

Plus all the goodness of channels included from III would be a game changer. You'd get so much more mileage out of single preset, great possibilities!

I wonder if the AX8 sales might not see an impact with folks subscribing to that line of thought if it is the case. The II and AX8 seem to share a code base. If they stop the 2 cold like they did the 1s then the AX8 will likely stop for the most part too... a Helix or Headrush would look a lot more viable to prospective customers interested in an evolving platform.

Is the ax8 not already great sounding? Does it need to evolve to be a good buy?

I bought my II on fw6 so it’s come a long way, but the ax8 came around when tons of improvements were already in there.

I don’t think the changes from say fw6 to the equivalent of fw29 (quantum equivalent) can be expected from say quantum 9 to quantum 20. The bar has already became so high now and the updates are going to be more evolutionary opposed to revolutionary.

Updates are well and good, don’t get me wrong but I honestly haven’t heard any differences in the last few, sounded great before and after them.

Now when I roll back to something quite old, like fw9, yes I hear a difference, but q8 vs q9? No

As such, I’ll gladly install them as they come but if I don’t ever get another one I would still be quite happy.

Is the ax8 not already great sounding? Does it need to evolve to be a good buy?
Shrug. Not trying to tell you the AX8 is not lovable.

I'm not trashing it, but I would think that way if I were buying one. I bet others do too. One of the selling point of FAS stuff is that it is utmost quality and it evolves and improves over time and a lot of the buyers of the digital modelers are more thinking of them more like 'platforms' from that perspective; like a smartphone or similar. If one is seen as stagnant that might be fine for some customers but others are going to see it as a substantial drawback when doing comparison shopping. Maybe enough to make them consider other options and diminish sales.

Look at all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here for II series owners. It's clear a lot of people like to be on the development edge with the FAS stuff.

Consider this: I constantly sing the praises of the *Ultra* around here; much more than many other II owners. I *still* own my Ultra after the upgrade; unlike a lot of people who bought IIs. I like gear that sounds great and is a great value.

Stuff that sounds great today will sound great tomorrow. The Ultra is a *sick* processor. But if I were buying a rack processor today, I would not even be considering an Ultra or a II, for that matter. I would be going for the best in class so I would be looking at the III or the Kemper rack.

Along the same lines an AX8 may sound great but if I were in the market and thought an AX8 III were coming I would either hold off for that or investigate other options and make do with my current rig. No one is saying the AX8 is not an awesome tool.

Last edited:
snoopy-dance.png

Any epiphanies I have will get ported to the II and the AX-8. Obviously our focus at this time is on the III and the FC's.

Fractal is the best, as exemplified by its owner! Thank you, Mr. Chase! My AXE II MK1 and AX8 are still the bomb to me (but I am on the wait list for the III !)

Back
Top Bottom