Axe-FX II won't start

Hugomack

Experienced
I've had my FXII for a couple of week,s all working as it should, but now it won't start. The LEDs flash on and off every second, which generates a click through the power amp and into the speakers. I've left it doing this for a while in case it's working it way through something.... but no joy with turning on and off, and I can't think of anything else to try....? I've sent an email to support. Any ideas?

I had USB to my Mac and RF45 to the MFC connected as usual, plus output to power amp and speakers; but then disconnected everything for subsequent startup attempts to the same sad (or rather lack of) result

The power amp fires up perfectly fine using the same power lead as I'd used on the Fractal - and there's no difference in using a different ring main. It's definitely the Axe - so is "one of the supply rails" inside the Axe - and what might be the solution?

Well... I guess that's the end of answers to my questions....

Interestingly, at the same time as posting here (Sunday afternoon), I emailed Fractal Audio Support but so far, 30 hours later, have received no answer.

I also emailed G66, and immediately had their tech guy Jochen asking questions the result of which a new power supply unit is being mailed to me with instructions as to how to install as I can't afford the time to send the unit away.

I'm very glad I live in Europe and so have G66 providing product support. Which is disappointing for me, as I was pretty seriously impressed with Fractal's responsiveness to ideas about modifying the hardware and upgrading the software - apart from my very positive feelings about the unit itself.

Didn't cliff himself just say it looked like the power supply or power rails? :eek:

No guys - I didn't miss it, but asked what that actually meant, and what could be done about it - which was over 24 hours ago. My point being that Fractal Audio didn't even reply to my email request for help - and Cliff's suggestion (which I think is almost certainly correct) wasn't actually helpful to getting the problem sorted out.

Or have I missed the point here somehow?

We answer support emails typically within 24 hours. There is no support staff on weekends. Remember you are in a different time zone. I'm sure someone will answer your email by the end of today.

See? Replies from the big man himself in less than an hr BOTH times. Fractal rawks man!

Aaaah, now Marty replies, saying, as has Cliff and Jochen, that it sounds like a power supply problem. Thanks Cliff or Scott for prompting that.

With something as impenetrable as a DSP, when you're used to messing around with a valve amp and pedals, it ceasing to function isn't very inspiring, so I thought Fractal might appreciate knowing that their system hadn't helped me - even though G66 did.

Hopefully it's the power supply and a quick replacement is all that is needed.

I have to make a comment here though. You sent a email to a company on a Sunday and within 2 hours got a reply from the president and owner of said company and are not happy the support staff didn't get back to you within 24 hours? On a Sunday?

Wow.

Edit: It appears I was typing as it was all being resolved. Another wow moment! :)

Last edited:
Hopefully it's the power supply and a quick replacement is all that is needed.

I have to make a comment here though. You sent a email to a company on a Sunday and within 2 hours got a reply from the president and owner of said company and are not happy the support staff didn't get back to you within 24 hours? On a Sunday?

Wow.

Yea, try that with l*ne 6, R*land, tc electr*nic or any of the other big names....

The weekend information is helpful too - thank you.

I'd have worried a lot less had Cliff's initial response added something along the lines of "we can send you a replacement power unit which ought to do the trick..." I know that's not his job, but would have helped me - if only by making me feel less worried. But on the other hand, I'm don't think I'd get any sort of response from Boss - and certainly not from Fulltone!

Might not even be the power supply, could just be a loose jack or something.....you can check it yourself if you're comfortable using a meter or opening it up.....

Fractal has some of the best support I've EVER seen, having dealt with many other companies before.....glad you saw it yourself in action! :D

Messages are crossing over here.

My email to Support was sent on Saturday. Cliff answered - which as you've said and I've said, is tremendous - but he didn't tell me how I might expect to solve my problem - hence my post that you've all responded to. And that's it. I'm glad I now know what to do. Thanks.

It's all good! Hopefully the power supply will be the ticket. My comments were just pointing out that it was the weekend and FAS is usually pretty good about replying. Heck, you got your issue resolved quicker than I can get a DBA in my company to give me accesss to a table. And he sits two desks over! :)

Thanks Cobbler. My main problem was not being sure if it was a power supply issue - or some DSP hang-up. It seemed like there wasn't the power getting to the unit to boot it up, but as with all the complications of a computer boot-up, I don't have the knowledge to tell. There doesn't seem to be a way of re-booting the unit, although I did read in another discussion (about a unit hanging up during software upgrade) that you can do this by pressing Recall whilst powering up? Is this the case - and does it affect patches, settings etc?

Also, I don't know if there's a Fractal Audio guarantee requirement not to have opened up the casing - and still don't, although the instructions from G66 require me to open it up, so I guess it will be OK.

The effectiveness of Support plus this Forum with the opinions, helpfulness and expertise of people here are a very big reasons why me for one decided to make the change to a DSP. I'll post how all this goes, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Reactions: jon
It was indeed the power supply. All fixed and functioning.

Many thanks to Jochen at G66 for the diagnosis and appropriate instructions, and for Sussi for sending me the replacement unit.

Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom