Axe FX II "wet" & "dry" simultaneous recording & Pro Tools 9 problems

bige-sd

I have scoured the forums looking for help with this subject but I seem to be getting a different problem than what others are encountering so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am running Windows 7 PC with a fully updated version of Pro Tools 9. I am using the Axe FX II for recording & playback. I can hear my guitar & the all of the Pro Tools tracks when playing back a mix and monitoring through the Axe Fx II headphone jack.

My goal is to plug straight into my Axe Fx II, monitor through it's headphones jack, and record a "wet" track & a "dry" track (for re-amping purposes obviously) simultaneously via the USB connection. It seemed like a simple & straightforward process and, also, eliminated extra audio interfaces & cables. In my case, the SIMPLER the BETTER!!! :)

I created two stereo tracks in Pro Tools 9 - one set to Inputs 1-2 (for the "wet" track) & the 2nd set to record Inputs 3-4 (for the "dry" track). The problem is that I cannot get any sort of input signal to Inputs 1-2 (the "wet" track) unless I set the USB/DIGI Output in the Axe Fx II to Input 1. BUT.....when I do that it creates a massive "latency issue"......sounds like a massively wet rock-a-billy slapback on the guitar & there is no way to record with that kind of latency throwing the timing off.

I have read the manual over & over and also tried things that people have added to this forum but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I probably am doing something wrong or have some settings wrong but I am stumped. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me!!

Last edited:
Looks like you'll be limited to just recording rockabilly music. ;)

(sorry, couldn't resist) :mrgreen

I don't use ProTools, so I can't help you there. I use REAPER in the same manner you described, and don't have this problem. Unless I'm missing something in the way you're setup?

What is your playback buffer set to? Sounds like you need to lower it to somewhere around 64 samples.

Well, my first question would be, what is your latency set to under Setup/Playback/HW Buffer Size?

edit: great minds...

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses! I assume you are asking about my Pro Tools settings...

whenever I go to "Setup/Playback" I get a pop up Window that says "Your audio device is configured with an unsupported audio buffer size. Please select one of the following supported buffer sizes in the device control panel: 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, or 2048."

Then it opens up to the Axe Fx II ASIO Driver Playback Engine which has a "Delay Compensation Engine" with None, Short, & Long for options to pick from......a "DAE Playback Buffer (disk buffer)" with Levels 0 (400ms), 1 (750 ms), 2 (1500 ms) & 4 (3000 ms) to choose from......and a "Plug-In Streaming Buffer" with options of Levels 0, 1, 2, 4 & 8 to choose from. There is no actual "Latency" setting to be found.

I'm starting to think I have something set wrong in the Axe FX II, because I'm getting the latency "slapback" effect whether Pro Tools is open or not.

I had a very similar issue. I had to go to the I/O page and set output two to "copy L-R" and it fixed it. After that I could return output two to stereo and it has worked ever since. I don't know if this is a bug but I the dry track only on PT tracks 3 and 4 and nothing on 1 and two. Hope this works for you as well.

Thanks Jerry K!!

You're suggestion fixed it! It does seem like a bug or something because it reacted exactly as you described. Thank you for taking the time to post! I appreciate it!!

I had a very similar issue. I had to go to the I/O page and set output two to "copy L-R" and it fixed it. After that I could return output two to stereo and it has worked ever since. I don't know if this is a bug but I the dry track only on PT tracks 3 and 4 and nothing on 1 and two. Hope this works for you as well.

out of curiosity... is the I/O page you describe within thr Axe itself..
sounds like a stupid question but I haven't got my Axe yet... so as you'd expect I don't know about all this..

Guys are you panning your signals in the DAW. If you don't you can get exactly what you are describing if you run stereo. By choosing Copy L/R you are just using the Left signal and essentially going mono.

Guys are you panning your signals in the DAW. If you don't you can get exactly what you are describing if you run stereo. By choosing Copy L/R you are just using the Left signal and essentially going mono.

I was not panning, just two default stereo tracks. Once I enabled the copy L/R everything worked and I could then return output two on the Axe to Stereo and Protools works perfect every time ever since. This is all through just the USB cable to and from the computer.

Back
Top Bottom