Axe-FX II Vox Tape Echo

Once again, I have no idea how to describe what it is that I'm hearing, but it's there and I can swear I hear it. The Vox models have been my biggest challenge to date for some reason and I've just started getting to where I can dial them in, but this is head and shoulders above what I can come up with so far. The amp sounds phenomenal.

The delay and reverb really sound great in this clip though.

I'm beginning to think that you might just have a magical guitar though; that PRS sounds great everytime I hear it. :)

Once again, I have no idea how to describe what it is that I'm hearing, but it's there and I can swear I hear it. The Vox models have been my biggest challenge to date for some reason and I've just started getting to where I can dial them in, but this is head and shoulders above what I can come up with so far. The amp sounds phenomenal.

The delay and reverb really sound great in this clip though.

I'm beginning to think that you might just have a magical guitar though; that PRS sounds great everytime I hear it. :)

It's there man. VVT sounds like just another buzzword marketing term; but this really is a very different experience using an Axe-FX II. This was cut with headphones. The ring on the top is just gorgeous in person, You have to really control your playing dynamics, every single little tiny nuance comes through clear as a bell. It's like going from a frozen steak to the freshest cut of Filet mignon. The flavor was 'right' with the Ultra/Standard, but now it's exquisite. You can reach into these tones and feel the depth, the bloom, the ring. The chime (from a humbucker!) on this amp model is unreal. The finest of AC-30's I've played in my *life* don't sound this good. The feel, the responsiveness, etc.. .... oh, I could just go on and on.

Oh, and the guitar? That thing is special. Now the guitar matters more. The overall timbre and tones are less 'hazy' than in the past; VVT is not going to obscure anything about what your guitar is putting out.

Thanks for posting Scott! Sounds really, really good! So, you used headphones to tweak this? Wow. :D

No, I used my monitors earlier today to create the patch (copied over an existing patch for the template; dropped new amp type and cab type - quick parameter dialing. Total time was less than 3 minutes though). No advanced parameters were harmed during the tweaking of this tone. :D

But I did cut this with headphones.

Trust me, even the FLAC doesn't do this justice.
The mp3 was good enough that I figured out how to play FLAC format on my Mac. Wow.

I'm an acoustic guy just getting into electric, but this has all the expressiveness, the complexity and the subtlety of tone that I love when playing acoustic. There's just something warm and organic here that I haven't heard before.

Thanks for posting this, Scott.

Great stuff, Scott. This tone has a real presence, and not in the EQ sense. Thanks for posting that!

Hi Scott, great tone and playing!
The VVT term used when talking about the II. I could have sworn that when I was first researching the 1st gen Axe a similar description was used? I remember explaining the detail in which the axe simulated valves to a mate of mine. Anyway probable wrong place to post.. Lovely recording
Alan

Hi Scott, great tone and playing!
The VVT term used when talking about the II. I could have sworn that when I was first researching the 1st gen Axe a similar description was used? I remember explaining the detail in which the axe simulated valves to a mate of mine. Anyway probable wrong place to post.. Lovely recording
Alan

I was just thinking the same. The manual for the Axe-Fx I states:

Axe-Fx Wiki Manual - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

"The Axe-Fx does contain, however, very accurate digital replicas of actual vacuum tubes. We gathered up some classic tubes and measured their transfer functions and then stored these transfer functions in the Axe-Fx’s massive brain. Our replicas are so exact that we can reproduce the harmonic spectrum of a real tube amp with amazing accuracy."

Vs G2 VVT's description:

Introducing the Axe-Fx II

"First we created our new Virtual Vacuum Tube™ technology. VVT™ is a complete departure from the static waveshaping technology used by other products. It is a digital replica of a vacuum tube complete with time, frequency and level dependencies. Just like a real vacuum tube, our digital replica is truly dynamic and changes with your playing. This creates a level of realism, complexity and response that other products just can't match. "

That reads to me like the original Axe-Fx models the vacuum tubes as an LTI system (the mention of transfer functions), and that's no longer the case with VVT (the mention of time).

Wow, that was beautiful to my ears this morning. Just what we needed to get us jonesing even more for the AFII, especially after seeing it listed in the store now. Very nice treat Scott. :)

Last edited:
No, I used my monitors earlier today to create the patch (copied over an existing patch for the template; dropped new amp type and cab type - quick parameter dialing. Total time was less than 3 minutes though). No advanced parameters were harmed during the tweaking of this tone. :D

But I did cut this with headphones.

Do you use the passive/active Atomics also?? Same experience???

VERY cool, Scott. I'm going to have to use the "no early reflections" or "just the reverb tails" method on a patch now. Nice work.

Back
Top Bottom