Axe-FX II Ver 6.0 and the effects on the Human Psyche PART I Cover Bands

Can somebody ban GuitarDojo. He's driving me nuts.

I just got my II. Waiting for 6.0 to start tweaking.

While I'm definitely anticipating the new modeling moreso then the matching, it'll be fun to match some Beatles and Shadows tones; I've never really had the gear to replicate those tones until the Ultra/II but haven't gotten around to dialing them in yet...I always liked the tone on Aqualung too....hmmmm.....heh.

Yeah, Martin Barre usually had awesome tone! I love how dynamically he played too...He really worked the volume-control, like a lot of the older-school players did/do! I saw Jethro Tull live in late-1981 and he had a phenomenal live-tone...Anyways, that "Aqualung-tone" is excellent, but the "reverb/room/ambience/environment/whatever-you-wanna-call-it," has a LOT to do with that tone!

I'm really looking forward to this 6.0 release too...It's hard NOT to think about!

Bill

Yeah, Martin Barre usually had awesome tone! I love how dynamically he played too...He really worked the volume-control, like a lot of the older-school players did/do! I saw Jethro Tull live in late-1981 and he had a phenomenal live-tone...Anyways, that "Aqualung-tone" is excellent, but the "reverb/room/ambience/environment/whatever-you-wanna-call-it," has a LOT to do with that tone!

I'm really looking forward to this 6.0 release too...It's hard NOT to think about!

Bill

I always felt Martin was a very underrated and overlooked guitarist. I have seen him so some solo shows that were just wonderful!

I would have to imagine that anyone making use of tone matching would have to get the match and then adjust the level with the other tones they use. I read all the posts here and I know I try to match my levels because it makes it sound better and it is easier on me when I play because I do not have to play with my volume to be balanced in the monitor mix.

What sounds really cool about this feature is the ability to get close to Beatles, Tom Petty, David Gilmour, and other signature tones. Once you have the tone then you going to have to work even hard as a player to put forth a performance that matches the artist phasing and note selection. With this in mond I believe it is going to make some players much better because they are not only going to work on their tone but their phasing, other are just going to be more frustrated because they just will not take the time to study the artist.

Where can I find Cliff's details on this feature.

This is something I think I will never get used to. Just got the II, loving it as I learn more and more with each use, but the feeling that I will be able to get more out of it due to it's constant updates is.... insanity-inducing!

I only play in a live covers band, not in the studio, so I do agree with what most have said regarding the tone matching feature, in that it will be a good 'starting point'. I never aim for the exact tone, but somewhere close that works in a live setting. Most studio tones (especially cleans) are very pretty and all, they just don't cut through in a live setting. In essence I find I have to make all my presets 'uglier' in order to get them sounding right for live use.

Was wondering about this knob positioning stuff. What gives with mesa amps ? Does it replicate the usual "add highs to get more gain" and the complex interactions on the mark series (no clue about rectos, I have actually never played one) ? On Marshall amps and their derivatives EQ knobs are just EQ, but marks have their interactive relationship that drives a lot of people nuts.

I'm curious if the real amps were matched if models like the engl are going to actual have comparible gain now to the real thing?
That amp definitely didn't in the past

Can somebody ban GuitarDojo. He's driving me nuts.

I tried Cap't! I just don't have enough Warp Speed!

Scotty_cocktail.jpg

[...fires off shortlist of measures for optimal enjoyment on Manic "v6" Monday:
- Contact employer communicating urgency of matters at hand.
- Trigger wife neutralizing protocol (cfr. RFC4568 for details).
- Check and update nutrition inventory.
- Cancel all other appointments ASAP.
]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom