Axe-FX II: Stevie Ray Vaughan - Coldshot

Gamedojo

Power User
Wanted to take my swing at some SRV with his Vibratone and with v7.0 installed.
Also took the time to make a few new IR's of my E130 speaker. The first one was warmer, but a bit less clear.

Taking some Cold Shots

One cool thing to note, is when you change the speed rate of the rotating speaker, it actually speeds up and slows down like the real thing! SO COOL!

Also... Patch AND IR download:

PATCH DOWNLOAD

Absolutely great as usual Tyler.
Thanks for the clip and the patch.
You are the soul/sole reason Im looking for another strat.... :)

Hi, i don't know why...but when i try to upload the preset into my axe and use the IR's, i still hear nothing.....what could that be????

Hi, i don't know why...but when i try to upload the preset into my axe and use the IR's, i still hear nothing.....what could that be????

Not quite sure. Some folks have issues downloading the patches. Did you be sure to right click the patch and IR link and "save as" to get the files? Just clicking the links seems to be the problem for some.

If you still have issues, PM your email and I'll send it direct.

Yeah, its probably not going to be since the rotary sim is modeling an actual leslie and not a Vibratone like SRV used. A vibratone doesn't have a horn. Its one full range speaker and a big drum rotating. I tried to eliminate the horn, but then it lost all the highs. Also...a vibratone has a weird crossover network which sends only the mids to the vibratone and keeps the highs and lows at the amp's speaker.

Another hurdle is that SRV used a super reverb and a vibraverb for the base tone, and then used a second vibraverb plugged into the vibratone. This means I'd need 3 amp blocks allowing the leslie to mix at 100% on the third amp to get closer.

So...with all this in mind, I knew I wasn't going to "nail" the sound. But I wanted something relatively convincing considering...

Yeah, its probably not going to be since the rotary sim is modeling an actual leslie and not a Vibratone like SRV used. A vibratone doesn't have a horn. Its one full range speaker and a big drum rotating. I tried to eliminate the horn, but then it lost all the highs. Also...a vibratone has a weird crossover network which sends only the mids to the vibratone and keeps the highs and lows at the amp's speaker.

Another hurdle is that SRV used a super reverb and a vibraverb for the base tone, and then used a second vibraverb plugged into the vibratone. This means I'd need 3 amp blocks allowing the leslie to mix at 100% on the third amp to get closer.

So...with all this in mind, I knew I wasn't going to "nail" the sound. But I wanted something relatively convincing considering...

Tyler,

I think you did an excellent job.

That said, I do sort of agree with schlagdog not so much as your "Cold Shot" attempt, but just the Rotary-block in general? I can NOT get the Rotary-block/Leslie-sim to sound like any of the iconic Leslie-sounds I grew up listening to? If I can't get it much better (and I know that Cliff & FAS have worked to improve it, so I am grateful for that) but I might end up going with an "outboard-piece" (I.E: H & K Rotosphere or the BOSS RT-20 Rotary Ensemble) to cover just that effect (It's really the only Axe-FX II effect that has thoroughly disappointed me...some FX are better than others, but most to me are anywhere from very good to awesome! The Rotary...NOT so much - LOL!) Anyways, I thank you for your detailed info about how the Vibratone works, as I may take a stab at trying to replicate that effect/tone. I know that it's tricky....BTW, did SRV (or his brother Jimmy) use the Vibratone for the rhythm/accompanimennt guitar in "Couldn't Stand The Weather?" I can't get that sound either?!?

Thanks for any info and great job as always!

Bill

...BTW, did SRV (or his brother Jimmy) use the Vibratone for the rhythm/accompanimennt guitar in "Couldn't Stand The Weather?"....

Yes the vibratone was used all over that album. SRV had just gotten the "toy" in early '84 and it became a constant in his rig ever since.

Back
Top Bottom