Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

Coocoo ? somebody there ?

I would answer, but I asked in essence the same question just a little earlier in the thread... :)

I'm hoping we will both find out...

I'm expecting your correct, set the Motor Drive to zero in the cab block (as I said earlier, I think this negates the cab block's Time Const value. Then you set the Time Const and Speaker Comp default and adjust to taste and finally adjust the Speaker Drive in the Amp Block to taste. I think that is the new approach for FRFR in Q9...

Oh and 'use your ears', you get accosted if you don't say that in this kind of post...
Side Note; This is similar to how when talking about abstract math concepts or low level code or similarly geeky subjects, it's always a good idea to casually mention some reference about Dungeons and Dragons like; "Yeah, I heard they smurfed the Paladin in the 3.5 rule set..." just so everyone knows you're cool **... ;)

** see Star Trek and Dr Who

Last edited:
It shows up in the cab slot with the name of the user cab. I even tried the factory patches and they worked fine until I change the factory
cab to a user one. I have all of my user slots full of cabs and have tried many of them and none work. It must be something simple but I will need more time with it to play around with controls. I think it is just since the newest update.
Did ya try reloading the Firmware again?
Maybe was a bad install.... that’s been known to happen from time to time.

Tomorrow I'll upgrade all my patches to 9.01 from 8.02 (came from 6.03 without very much tweaking), is there any starting point to be made before tweaking ?

I noted there were variables in the AMP block
Spkr drv + Time const (200ms)

And in the CAB block :
Motor drv & Time const (200ms)

Working exclusively with FRFR I suppose I should start with putting the CAB block variables to zero (mtr drv & time const) and AMP block spr time constant to 100ms, then adjust spkr drive to taste.

Is that correct ?

Thks for any help.
Yes, this is correct. Do it all from the Amp Block & Zero out the Cab Block.

It shows up in the cab slot with the name of the user cab. I even tried the factory patches and they worked fine until I change the factory
cab to a user one. I have all of my user slots full of cabs and have tried many of them and none work. It must be something simple but I will need more time with it to play around with controls. I think it is just since the newest update.
I had this and a simple reboot did the trick.

Never mind, I found my answer from the man himself:

Yes. Speaker Drive models the magnetic compression (which is actually distortion) that occurs due to the nonlinear speaker excursion vs. applied voltage. Motor Drive models the change in power transfer due to heating of the voice coil. When the voice coil heats up the speaker sensitivity decreases, in some cases quite dramatically.

Then he goes on to say something about Dungeons and Dragons... ;)

Tomorrow I'll upgrade all my patches to 9.01 from 8.02 (came from 6.03 without very much tweaking), is there any starting point to be made before tweaking ?

And in the CAB block :

Working exclusively with FRFR I suppose I should start with putting the CAB block variables to zero (mtr drv & time const) and AMP block spr time constant to 100ms, then adjust spkr drive to taste.

Is that correct ?

Thks for any help.
Yes, this is correct. Do it all from the Amp Block & Zero out the Cab Block.

Turning down Motor Time Constant in Cab is not really necessary. Disabling Motor Drive suffices.

Turning down Motor Time Constant in Cab is not really necessary. Disabling Motor Drive suffices.
Well yeah, the Motor Time only goes down to 20.00ms anyway. But as long as the Motor Drive is Zeroed the MTC is a moot point.
It’s a Mooter Time Constant!

Thanks for the responses. Got through 22 of 38 patches this morning. Found that lower values for speaker and motor drive work best for me. Using some de-phasing in the cab block also brings some air for a few cabs. Delay (.04 -.06ms in the cab block) often flattened the sound too much. Great FW anyway, especially the high gain amps got a big push forward. Thanks again FAS.

And in the CAB block :

Is that correct ?

Thks for any help.

FYI, spkr compression is what you ant to adjust for this new firmware, not to be confused with spkr drive.

I finally installed 9.01 last night, I had skipped the betas for lack of time lately. I can definitely hear more authenticity/accuracy in the high end when comparing to my tube amps.

Thanks for another awesome update Cliff!!

It really helps big time to actually sit there and watch the Speaker Compression Meter in the Amp Block. *Make sure you are watching the correct meter as the page starts off on the Output Compression Meter on the POWER DYN Tab Sceen.
One thing to be aware of regarding the Motor Time Constant is that the value, (time) affects both the attack and release time. So, the higher the number, (milliseconds in time) you set it for, the longer it takes for the Compression to kick in & for it to also release.
It’s very easy to see in action with the meter, just pick some extreme Speaker Comp setting, (just crank it up to 10, & it helps if you’re using a non Master Volume amp or have the MV cranked up so you’d be driving the Speaker hard) and then start playing with the Time Constant Values. You’ll notice as you turn it up & down how fast & slow, (but “constant” :cool: ) the compression is.
Kinda makes it a bit easier to set or at least is a bit reaffirming/reassuring to be able to see how many -dB & how fast/slow, smooth/dynamic your setting is.

I have no idea what voodoo is going on with these updates but first impression: This sounds wonderful. I'm sure its in my mind but some updates make me go meh, others really make me go WOW. This is a WOW update :)

To find the problem, split your signal off from the last block in the chain, through a shunt, to the output. If your signal comes back, the problem was that last block. If it doesn't come back, tap off at the block before the last one. Keep moving backwards like that until you get signal. That way, you can identify the block where your signal is getting lost.

To find the problem, split your signal off from the last block in the chain, through a shunt, to the output. If your signal comes back, the problem was that last block. If it doesn't come back, tap off at the block before the last one. Keep moving backwards like that until you get signal. That way, you can identify the block where your signal is getting lost.

I have tried this and simply double clicking on the cab block to shut it off will let me hear sound again. I am at work but will try a reboot and also try installing the firmware again.

The Fender Deluxe Vibrochannel sounds great in this Firmware, also with stock cabs like 1x12 Roamer.
Also with increased gain around 7 - very nice Fenderchrunch after the bugfix.

I have tried this and simply double clicking on the cab block to shut it off will let me hear sound again. I am at work but will try a reboot and also try installing the firmware again.
Then something is up in the cab block. Either Level is set way too low, or it's pointing to an empty IR slot, or something like that

Back
Top Bottom