Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Firmware Release

Thank you so much! I just did the comparison and it's night and day. Have a listen and you'll immediately be able to tell why it was driving me batty.

I have no idea why it happened to coincide with the last FW update, but I am glad it's hardware related because the new FW sounds incredible!!!!!

I'll contact support and get a new front input on the way. My sanity has been saved!!! (as I am sure everyone watching this thread has been as well)

Thanks everyone for your patience and help!

Glad to help! I’m sure support will have this sorted out in a flash. Meanwhile, the rear input can get you by while you wait for the replacement.

Hmm,i just tried the Rear input.. and now i like it more then my Front input..hmm. I have a Axe Fx II Mark I

First rehearsal with 9.x today, dang it's good!!! The low-end seems to have an sort of air associated makes for a more glassy tone, it's really nice. Top-end is nicely rounded by the motor drive. All round responsiveness and feel seem improved. As others have stated the IR choice has opened up greatly. Some that I didn't use previously as they sounded harsh or flubby are now solid options!

Cracking update Cliff!

Hmm,i just tried the Rear input.. and now i like it more then my Front input..hmm. I have a Axe Fx II Mark I

After trying the rear input just now, I found it has approx. 1dB less noise at the same volume. It has me wondering if that's normal?

After trying the rear input just now, I found it has approx. 1dB less noise at the same volume. It has me wondering if that's normal?

Make sure you're comparing like impedance values on the front and rear input. Rear input in is 1M Ohm IIRC.

Was there anything in the preset during this test, like a high-gain amp block?

Did you adjust input levels for identical LED response? Playing guitar during this step might not be accurate enough for this test.

The front input processing reduces noise at higher frequencies. That might not affect a basic level meter very much. It's better to view the spectrum of the noise to see the difference.

Reactions: Rex
Was there anything in the preset during this test, like a high-gain amp block?

It's a high gain preset with amp, cab and a few filter blocks.

Did you adjust input levels for identical LED response?

In I/O, the front input is set to 36%. Input 1 is set to 50%.

Playing guitar during this step might not be accurate enough for this test.

I recorded samples while playing and idling.

The front input processing reduces noise at higher frequencies. That might not affect a basic level meter very much. It's better to view the spectrum of the noise to see the difference.

I compared the response in FabFilter and it appears that there's more low-end energy (44Hz - 115Hz) in the rear input sample and more energy at 265Hz and 697Hz in the front input sample. Here are a couple of samples:

Front Input
Rear Input

Is there a way to adjust the impedance value for the rear input? If not, how can I be assured they're both the same?

Set the font input to 1M Ohm instead of 'Auto'?

What @Moke said.

And I'd follow @Bakerman's advice too. Make certain you're using a steady source to set the level at the front and rear input. 1 dB is a pretty small increment to be measuring here so be precise in your setup to ensure you're actually measuring a change in the inputs and not a drift in the setup between front and rear.

I compared the response in FabFilter and it appears that there's more low-end energy (44Hz - 115Hz) in the rear input sample and more energy at 265Hz and 697Hz in the front input sample. Here are a couple of samples:

My ears heard more Low on the Rear input and a bit less mids.. and a bit less low,but more mids on the Front. Just listening while playing. Wierd.. but i now like the Rear input

At least it wasn’t posted in the “Squealing Like Mad” thread.
That reminds me. I need to work on a new patch. Deliverance of the Poltergeist Pig.

"Humans have quite the breadth of ideas to contemplate. Some of them a little edgy." - Egon Spengler

The biggest issue I am having is that while the noise gate works fine when I am not playing, I can still hear the noise from the vid I posted on top of the tone when I am playing. I am positive it wasn't there before, as I rarely run a noisegate on my presets (which is why this became so noticeable to me right after the update). I have tried reinstalling several times and going back as far as FW Q7 with no relief. Next up is to try to wipe the machine and start from scratch. I'll try to post my findings as I go.

Thanks
I’ve noticed that too and I think it’s the speaker comp. compressors alway do weird things with noise gates and I also hear the noise while playing until the gate clamps it.
One way to make it happen for everyone to see what I mean is to hit a palm mute on the low string and let it fade out, you’ll hear the noise slowly rise and then hear the gate come on and stop it.

It's things like this that make me glad I decided to record DRY guitar, and bass tracks. I'm not sure what changes, and tweaks you made in this firmware that did it for me (probably the speaker compression tweaks,) but this finally made it where my guitars sound louder, and more forward without destroying my overall mix. I've been fighting with this for while, and I know I could have forced it to work with a few extra plug-ins here and there, which is what I had been doing, but personally I prefer to keep things slim, on the plug-in side. Reamping for the win.

I have. I always leave it set to auto and in the presets that I was trying (including the ones I built from scratch to test with) it was set to auto. It appears to be the input circuit (see my post a few back). I'll start a support ticket to get a new one.

Thanks!!
Maybe this could help : a month ago I sent my axes fx 2 for service to g66 related to noise pb and level unbalance on out1. The unit came back resetted totally and measured ; no problem and except the fan no parts replaced. I reloaded my old system backup....got the noise again. Reformatted the system and reparametered manually (Midi; IO and custom harmoniser settings). This solved my problems; pls note that at system reset the noise floor got offset to -40dB.
Maybe give this a try...if you have a couple of hours left

Back
Top Bottom