Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

Hey, pretty new to being an AXE-FX owner and after updating the new firmware I have a pretty newbie situation I cant seem to fix/ understand. I know it sounds bad to ask, but where would this "speaker comp" value be located? I would assume under the speaker tab but I still have "motor drive" located there which I thought was removed? The "Blackglass 7k" drive showed up so I figured the firmware updated correctly and I refreshed for the FW. I'm just confused as to what else I need to do or if I simply misread something. Sorry for adding to the chorus of questions, but after reading and trying to resolve this on my own I am a bit confused and looking for what I am missing.

Cliff, when you say "The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions" what do you mean? Middle position of the button or middle position of EQ?

Darkglass B7K Attack switch have flat eq on the top position of Grunt switch have flat eq on down position.

What position has modeling? Several users are waiting to know this.

Thanks

Cliff, when you say "The model was obtained with the Attack and Grunt switches in the middle positions" what do you mean? Middle position of the button or middle position of EQ?

Darkglass B7K Attack switch have flat eq on the top position of Grunt switch have flat eq on down position.

What position has modeling? Several users are waiting to know this.

Thanks
I think he means the physical switch positions.

Hey, pretty new to being an AXE-FX owner and after updating the new firmware I have a pretty newbie situation I cant seem to fix/ understand. I know it sounds bad to ask, but where would this "speaker comp" value be located? I would assume under the speaker tab but I still have "motor drive" located there which I thought was removed? The "Blackglass 7k" drive showed up so I figured the firmware updated correctly and I refreshed for the FW. I'm just confused as to what else I need to do or if I simply misread something. Sorry for adding to the chorus of questions, but after reading and trying to resolve this on my own I am a bit confused and looking for what I am missing.

The Speaker Comp is in the Amp block, not the Cab block. I'm assuming when you said "speaker tab", you meant the Cab block, since that is the only place where you will still find a Motor Drive control (the Amp block also had a Motor Drive, and that is what was removed and replaced by the new Speaker Comp control).

Anyway, the Speaker Comp can be found on the "PWR DYN" page of the Amp block (right after the "EQ" page), last control on the right. :)

The new parameter will be displayed in an updated version of Axe Edit. For now you can see it the amp blocks PWR DYN tab at the front panel. SPKR DYN is incidentally connected to the motor drive knob in the current AE version, so you can set it from there.

The Speaker Comp is in the Amp block, not the Cab block. I'm assuming when you said "speaker tab", you meant the Cab block, since that is the only place where you will still find a Motor Drive control (the Amp block also had a Motor Drive, and that is what was removed and replaced by the new Speaker Comp control).
In the current AE you find motor drive in the Spkr Drv tab of the amp block

Thanks guys that straightened me right out. I should have mentioned I look at my Axe using Axe-Edit primarily. I see it now!

I’ve never played real b7k but from the demos I listened to, I can’t make the new model sound anything like it. It doesnt even seem to have much gain until you get to 10. And there it sounds thin and honky. Also the eq controls seem to work in strange ways. I’m confused.
PS: I’m a guitar player by trade but I do play bass on my own recordings and was really looking forward to this as I Love darkglass tones that I hear.

I’ve never played real b7k but from the demos I listened to, I can’t make the new model sound anything like it. It doesnt even seem to have much gain until you get to 10. And there it sounds thin and honky. Also the eq controls seem to work in strange ways. I’m confused.
PS: I’m a guitar player by trade but I do play bass on my own recordings and was really looking forward to this as I Love darkglass tones that I hear.

I have a B7k but, have only spent a few minutes with Cliff’s version here. I can tell you that since the tone control and low cut are basically the virtual versions of the attack and grunt switches (respectively), You may want to spend time getting to know them. Think of the tone control as your high frequency distortion and the low cut as your low end distortion. I was able to get pretty close to the tone I get with the real pedal when I spent only a few minutes with it yesterday. I plan to spend more time today if I can manage it.

BTW- Cliff, great sounding firmware! Thanks, FAS team!

I'm a definite fan of the new algos. At first I forgot to turn off the motor drive off in the cab block but once I killed that and roll spkr comp down to about 2, bam!!

when will AE be updated to add the new sim?
In the meantime, operating the “Motor Drive” control in the current AE will still change the new “Speaker Compress” parameter on the unit. I’d suspect they’re just going to end up renaming that control label in AE, and then removing the controls like Tranformer Grind which no longer function…

In the meantime, operating the “Motor Drive” control in the current AE will still change the new “Speaker Compress” parameter on the unit. I’d suspect they’re just going to end up renaming that control label in AE, and then removing the controls like Tranformer Grind which no longer function…

Which Motor Drive ? The one in the Cab block or the one in he Amp block ?

i think i'd have to disagree with this. for quite some time now, i've always copied the amp from X to Y and then reset X. after setting any changed values in X to match Y, i can say i've heard a definite difference between them with firmwares that have recommended a reset as part of the release notes. if it was never necessary, then it would never be recommended.
Because there's some hidden parameters ;)
If it sounds good it's not needed

Back
Top Bottom