Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Firmware Release

So......

What’s the definitive quick-n-easy way to reset the amp model via Axe-Edit (once it’s updated to accommodate Q9) ?

I see lots of comments about how to do it via the front panel but a lot of us are Axe-Edit addicts.

Thx !

Block menu --> reset

Like many, I would like a definitive sticky post discussing details about amp block reset; are there differences between selecting a different model then re-selecting the original model vs. double-clicking vs. selecting the reset option in Axe Edit, which settings are maintained and which are lost, and when it needs to be done vs. when it doesn't.

Resetting the amp block takes a serious time commitment. I must write down graphic eq settings and other parameters for every amp in every preset and manually adjust them after the reset. The ability for a reset to leave certain parameters alone (such as graphic amp eq or ones that are not affected in the firmware update) would save a lot of time. If the only reason for a reset is to set new default values for updated parameters, then simply listing the new default values would be a lot faster; unless that is not how it works.

For now, I have to forgo the update until I can set aside a couple of days to tweak my huge list of presets. If I don't reset the amp block, what are the consequences?

For some reason I find a little more magic in the beta than this release. Am I crazy?
No, you're not crazy.. I definitely hear it too, and I have very good ears.. Beta 9 sounded way better and had alot more magic. I will probably revert back to Beta 9 and ditch the final release version myself..

I am looking forward to trying the new FW. But the whole "reset" topic is slowly driving me crazy... :)

Now I wrote this, and then I read it and thought, "I sure sound really mad and angry". Please bear with me, I am basically just missing some reliable information...

The new firmware has the new modeling algorithms. Two user-facing parameters disappeared, a new one appeared instead. Now why would there be any need to "reset" anything but the new parameter?

Well, actually there are a dozen reasons why this *could* be necessary: internal parameters which are stored in the preset, and they are only updated when the amp model is reselected, or when the whole block is hard-reset; OR cached results of expensive calculations that one want to avoid; OR ...

But these are implementation details of the firmware, and everybody except for the guys/gals that have written it can only make wild guesses. And those guesses even vary strongly with each new update. Some people even seem to believe that, by some magic, you are still using old-firmware algorithms if you do not hard-reset the block.

Is there a single definitive explanation where the different methods and their effects are laid out? The current wiki articles do not qualify, IMO, as they have contradictory information. For example, the "wicked-wiki" article https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wicked-wiki-19-defaulting-the-amp-block.125454/ on amp block resetting says that global utility functions for amp defaults have been discarded (I definitely have those in Quantum 9 FW, and they have an effect), and that release notes mention any need to reset things manually (this time, they don't, yet everybody and their uncle claim we should do hard resets, anyway, which is really annoying when you're picky about your settings and have more than 2 or 3 presets).

More specifically, I know of these "reset-like" methods for the amp block (leaving out Axe-Edit methods on purpose to keep it as simple as possible):

1) "Utilities > Set Amp(s) to Defaults": The manual says that "basic settings" like tone controls and drive levels are not changed. But "Speaker Comp" also is not. Just checked: Neither are "Bright" and "Master Volume". "PA Cathode Res." is reset --- ok. I guess.

Is there a list of what is kept or what is changed? (Depending on which of is shorter, or less likely to change.)

2) "Soft reset" (selecting a different amp and returning): Keeps "Drive", "Overdrive", "Bass", "Mid", "Treble", "Output Level".

Now added to the list of *non*-changing parameters: "Speaker Comp". At the same time "Presence" and "Master Volume" are reset! Is there any logic to this? I can deal with it if there isn't, I just would like to know from the only people who know, namely from FAS.

3) "Hard reset" (double-click BYPASS when editing the amp block). This (as far as I have checked) really sets *all* parameters to their defaults. Fine. Why and when would this be necessary after a firmware update? I understand why you would *want* to do this, starting from scratch and so on. But when is it *necessary*? Can I expect that after a firmware update w/o any resets on my part the preset will behave exactly as after a hard reset and then resetting all parameters back to their original values? I surely hope so!

4) Apart from these clarifications that I would love to have, there is one situation where you cannot reasonably avoid the need to reset: Parameter defaults *change* in connection with new algorithms. But this, AFAIK, has always been mentioned in the release notes so far.

Thanks for reading this far. No hard feelings, happy AxeFx user since first Ultra run, yada yada yada...

As stated in the release notes, the “Spkr Comp” parameter defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset and isn't updated simply by changing the model. If I understand correctly, resetting the amp block simply changes the value of that parameter; something you can do manually if you don't want to re-tweak your presets.

Holy Guacamole! Thanks, Cliff and Team!

Just got done updating my JCM800 #34 patch and I am LOVING the way it sounds and feels! I didn't need any EQ from the advanced parameters, and almost no adjustments from the Bass-Presence "knobs" either! A little tweaking of the Input and Master Volume, and a touch of refinement in the drive block were all that was required. Can't wait to hit some more presets later after I rest my ears.

This, times infinity.

I am looking forward to trying the new FW. But the whole "reset" topic is slowly driving me crazy... :)

Now I wrote this, and then I read it and thought, "I sure sound really mad and angry". Please bear with me, I am basically just missing some reliable information...

The new firmware has the new modeling algorithms. Two user-facing parameters disappeared, a new one appeared instead. Now why would there be any need to "reset" anything but the new parameter?

Well, actually there are a dozen reasons why this *could* be necessary: internal parameters which are stored in the preset, and they are only updated when the amp model is reselected, or when the whole block is hard-reset; OR cached results of expensive calculations that one want to avoid; OR ...

But these are implementation details of the firmware, and everybody except for the guys/gals that have written it can only make wild guesses. And those guesses even vary strongly with each new update. Some people even seem to believe that, by some magic, you are still using old-firmware algorithms if you do not hard-reset the block.

Is there a single definitive explanation where the different methods and their effects are laid out? The current wiki articles do not qualify, IMO, as they have contradictory information. For example, the "wicked-wiki" article https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wicked-wiki-19-defaulting-the-amp-block.125454/ on amp block resetting says that global utility functions for amp defaults have been discarded (I definitely have those in Quantum 9 FW, and they have an effect), and that release notes mention any need to reset things manually (this time, they don't, yet everybody and their uncle claim we should do hard resets, anyway, which is really annoying when you're picky about your settings and have more than 2 or 3 presets).

More specifically, I know of these "reset-like" methods for the amp block (leaving out Axe-Edit methods on purpose to keep it as simple as possible):

1) "Utilities > Set Amp(s) to Defaults": The manual says that "basic settings" like tone controls and drive levels are not changed. But "Speaker Comp" also is not. Just checked: Neither are "Bright" and "Master Volume". "PA Cathode Res." is reset --- ok. I guess.

Is there a list of what is kept or what is changed? (Depending on which of is shorter, or less likely to change.)

2) "Soft reset" (selecting a different amp and returning): Keeps "Drive", "Overdrive", "Bass", "Mid", "Treble", "Output Level".

Now added to the list of *non*-changing parameters: "Speaker Comp". At the same time "Presence" and "Master Volume" are reset! Is there any logic to this? I can deal with it if there isn't, I just would like to know from the only people who know, namely from FAS.

3) "Hard reset" (double-click BYPASS when editing the amp block). This (as far as I have checked) really sets *all* parameters to their defaults. Fine. Why and when would this be necessary after a firmware update? I understand why you would *want* to do this, starting from scratch and so on. But when is it *necessary*? Can I expect that after a firmware update w/o any resets on my part the preset will behave exactly as after a hard reset and then resetting all parameters back to their original values? I surely hope so!

4) Apart from these clarifications that I would love to have, there is one situation where you cannot reasonably avoid the need to reset: Parameter defaults *change* in connection with new algorithms. But this, AFAIK, has always been mentioned in the release notes so far.

Thanks for reading this far. No hard feelings, happy AxeFx user since first Ultra run, yada yada yada...

To me my plexi and bass man presets sounds great. I’m still dialing in my vox and matchless pres. But having a great Fender and Marshall pres cover most anything so I think I’m good. If I ever get the vox thing that will only be icing on the cake.

Tried twice reloading Beta 9.. I get no output, and none of the input meters on the front panel even light up.. Guess i'm forced to keep Q9 or go to an earlier version.. I don't care what anyone says, I'm telling you Beta 9 sounded much much better with very minimal tweaking.. Q9 final release, not so much.. I was really happy with how Beta 9 sounded vs Q9 final.. My Digitech 2101 sounds better than Q9 final release.. Anyone wanna buy an XL+ with about 2 hours of use on it since buying it brand new about 2 months ago?
Try loading 8.02 then goto 9.0 Beta? Or did you try redownloading the Beta?

So......

What’s the definitive quick-n-easy way to reset the amp model via Axe-Edit (once it’s updated to accommodate Q9) ?

I see lots of comments about how to do it via the front panel but a lot of us are Axe-Edit addicts.

Thx !

Select the amp block in AxeEdit and ctrl-I.
Select the amp block in AxeEdit and right click and choose "reset block" or "reset current effect type" (ctrl-I).
Select the amp block in AxeEdit and choose "edit" from the menu then "reset current effect type".
Select the amp block in AxeEdit and dbl tap "Bypass" on the Axe's front panel.

Have a amp reset option that keeps all basic params and eq, would save a lot of time.

The last thing I need is another method to reset some and keep some other parameters. I think we just need some reliable info on the existing methods, possible side effects (or lack thereof), and when it is not necessary to reset anything.

Back
Top Bottom