Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.00 Firmware Release

Will my v7.02 presets DEFINITELY sound different from the moment I upgrade or does it take some action on my part to make the changes.

If v8 automatically alters my existing presets I may just hold off as I'm finally in a great place with my presets and I'm not much of a dialling man.

When you do the update, those new changes are in play at that point (unless otherwise noted).

As mentioned above, do a full backup (Fractalbot is easy enough) and then install the latest update. If you don't like it, put your backup back on. You loose absolutely nothing. It's really easy.

Apart from that always check the update's release notes. Even if you don't understand alot of the technical stuff you can get a feel for what's been done and what to expect. If there are major changes that will definitely change the functionality in some way it will be stated there.

FW 8 release notes it states:
-----------------------------------
Improved amp modeling. Improves clarity and sounds more “open” especially for non-MV amp models or when the MV is turned up.

The bias excursion values for most amp models have been updated based on new measurement techniques. Existing presets will automatically be updated to the new values.

Based on user feedback the Amp block Speaker Drive now defaults to zero.

Increased gain of “Brit Brown” model by 12 dB.
------------------------------------

So right off the bat everything there tells you there will be at least some difference in sound.

For me, I have a few presets that handle everything I need. In 8 years of doing updates I've never hosed my setup or been unhappy with an update. On the other hand some people require more than I and may expect different things.

I'll go out on a limb and say in your case you'll be perfectly fine. The only audible change will be an improvement in the amps. The presets themselves including effects and routing are not affected.

The key is doing the backup and try the FW.

Just found a major oops in soft reset of amp block: The EQ page defaults to zero for all sliders when doing a soft reset! Mark your settings before you update! I had the 5-band (Mark Series) dialed in perfectly for some of my presets, and lost those settings. I totally appreciate all other parameters updating automatically, but I do wish the EQ page would stay as dialed, the same way the primary settings do on the "Basic" page.

Going to see if I will still have my EQ settings in tact after importing a backed up preset, post FW update. Still would be faster to just write them down before soft reset. FWIW.

When you do the update, those new changes are in play at that point (unless otherwise noted).

As mentioned above, do a full backup (Fractalbot is easy enough) and then install the latest update. If you don't like it, put your backup back on. You loose absolutely nothing. It's really easy.

Apart from that always check the update's release notes. Even if you don't understand alot of the technical stuff you can get a feel for what's been done and what to expect. If there are major changes that will definitely change the functionality in some way it will be stated there.

FW 8 release notes it states:
-----------------------------------
Improved amp modeling. Improves clarity and sounds more “open” especially for non-MV amp models or when the MV is turned up.

The bias excursion values for most amp models have been updated based on new measurement techniques. Existing presets will automatically be updated to the new values.

Based on user feedback the Amp block Speaker Drive now defaults to zero.

Increased gain of “Brit Brown” model by 12 dB.
------------------------------------

So right off the bat everything there tells you there will be at least some difference in sound.

For me, I have a few presets that handle everything I need. In 8 years of doing updates I've never hosed my setup or been unhappy with an update. On the other hand some people require more than I and may expect different things.

I'll go out on a limb and say in your case you'll be perfectly fine. The only audible change will be an improvement in the amps. The presets themselves including effects and routing are not affected.

The key is doing the backup and try the FW.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Just for the record, just as I was about to update today, I had a really good playing session and bottled it. Gonna stay in my happy place just for awhile longer :):)

Can't connect to Axe-Edit after upgrading to 8.00. I get an "unknown device - version information could not be queried" message.

I've been stuck on a simple preset I made recently with Shiver Clean + Stereo Tape Delay + Rich Hall Reverb and a stereo cab with OH 412 MR82 M75A OH1F-06 and OH 412 RECTO V70B OH1-05 from OwnHammer's Core Tone Bundle. :hearteyes:

Just found a major oops in soft reset of amp block: The EQ page defaults to zero for all sliders when doing a soft reset! Mark your settings before you update! I had the 5-band (Mark Series) dialed in perfectly for some of my presets, and lost those settings. I totally appreciate all other parameters updating automatically, but I do wish the EQ page would stay as dialed, the same way the primary settings do on the "Basic" page.

Going to see if I will still have my EQ settings in tact after importing a backed up preset, post FW update. Still would be faster to just write them down before soft reset. FWIW.
This is normal behavior. The EQ always resets when you soft reset.

I think I understood what you meant, wrt to the EQ page. I would extend it to include Depth, Pres, and Master; though, as those three I consider to be user fields and are common amp dial controls.

AE == Axe-Edit.

Yeah, I just didn't read the previous message correctly (Not that there was another way to read it, my mind was going somewhere else I guess).
Of course AE is Axe Edit, I'm stupid.But Yeah, It would be a really welcomed feature.

I think I'm the only one here that likes the EQ getting reset after a reselect :eek:. I do have to change it to the 5 Band Passive after though; that's my preferred EQ variation in the AMP block.

I violated sacred ground a couple hours before last night's gig when I swapped out the Plexi 50w Hi with Brit #34 on one of my patches.

It swapped with almost no tweaking required and sounded great. I feel like I've cheated on my precious Plexi 50 LOL

Crap...now I have to hit that Brit #34...the Plexi 50 is my boo.

I never jived with the Timothy like I have the Shimmer Drive. I also haven't tried it in a while, maybe I'll revisit again. Thanks

The controls on the Timothy are a little counter intuitive, especially if you habitually adjust the tone control on the model. Here is Yek's breakdown thread...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...timothy-based-on-paul-cochranes-timmy.123751/

It contains the control mappings...
  • Bass: cuts bass (model: Low Cut)
  • Gain: sets the amount of overdrive (model: Drive)
  • Volume: controls the output level (model: Level)
  • Treble: cuts treble (model: Tone)

I noticed when play louder with my Monitors in my studio its more pleasing than before. Maybe its me as I haven't really turnt it up much but when I do now my presets translate to the higher volume better…I think. Like an amp . When I riff out on the many plexi models I find myself saying HOLY shot aloud. SO HAPPY
The axe Fx loves my Gibson 57 pickups a lot

I violated sacred ground a couple hours before last night's gig when I swapped out the Plexi 50w Hi with Brit #34 on one of my patches.

It swapped with almost no tweaking required and sounded great. I feel like I've cheated on my precious Plexi 50 LOL
were you using frfr or amp and cab?

top tip - if you're not using Y, copy X into Y and soft reset X. then you can compare to see what values your eq was set at etc

a button on the eq page that says "reset" would be nice. then it's best of both worlds. a soft reset of the amp would leave the settings intact, but if you wanted to zero it out, then you'd just have to click on the button.

top tip - if you're not using Y, copy X into Y and soft reset X. then you can compare to see what values your eq was set at etc

a button on the eq page that says "reset" would be nice. then it's best of both worlds. a soft reset of the amp would leave the settings intact, but if you wanted to zero it out, then you'd just have to click on the button.
A great tip I always use, if some of you use both A & B amps, then you can always temporally create a new amp block and copy the settings into that and do the A/B test that way. Providing you have enough memory, but there are always work arounds.

I never jived with the Timothy like I have the Shimmer Drive. I also haven't tried it in a while, maybe I'll revisit again. Thanks
Yeah, it's all there in the Timothy it's just not as user friendly imo. That's why I personally prefer and love that Shimmer. It's so easy to use & works for just about everything with minimal tweaking. Although that is being kind of lazy and now that I think of it I'll take the time to learn the ins & outs of the Timothy, I generally always do prefer subtractive eq & hi/low cut to boost type and that's how that pedal works if I'm not mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom