Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.00 Firmware Release

This seems to happen about every 3rd FW. The 1st night I'm underwhelmed. And I've been told very many times that the final FW is the same modeling as the beta, but for some reason the final product seems quite a bit more 'even' than the beta. Probably all in my head.

There were some adjustments for sure. This is a 'clarity' update, and some of my presets seemed almost brittle. Added compression in the form of motor drive, and even some gain on a few amps. Needed to bump up my cab lowcut a bit more.

But my Bonamassa patch killed on 'Sloe Gin' with no adjustments. And I don't know what it is with my Plexi50 patch, it's the only one that I never change from update to update, and it slays me every time still.

Hmmm - care to share your Sloe Gin patch ?!
One of my favs from JB - I would be interested to see how others are getting his tone with the Axe.

The new default doesn't get in the way of anyone (it's an enhancement, not a necessity), while the previous default (0.5) seriously degraded the sound when combined with a traditional cab.

Don't be mistaken, there are a LOT of players out there using a traditional cab, or a mix of FR and a traditional cab. Including me.

Hey yek - are you still using an ASW kts 70 with an EV 12L in your 2x12 cab?

Hey yek - are you still using an ASW kts 70 with an EV 12L in your 2x12 cab?

Absolutely. The KTS for the vibe (= G12H30), and the EVM for the extended freq range and additional power at loud levels. With some high end boosting, even my acoustic sounds fine through this cab.

Absolutely. The KTS for the vibe (= G12H30), and the EVM for the extended freq range and additional power at loud levels. With some high end boosting, even my acoustic sounds fine through this cab.

Do you find at high volumes that it can get very mid-rangey / ice picky?
I have the same cab/speakers - that's why I'm asking !
I know its off topic and I can take it off line and PM you if you would like...

Do you find at high volumes that it can get very mid-rangey / ice picky?
I have the same cab/speakers - that's why I'm asking !
I know its off topic and I can take it off line and PM you if you would like...

Yeah, it's off-topic, let's take it to PM-ing.

Really digging this firmware. About 75% of the time (everytime...) I'm a Class-A amp user, been on the DC30 for a while and wanted to try the Cirtrus AD30 again, couldn't believe how awesome it sounded. So switch back to the orange (it's almost like I've betrayed the DC30 :relaxed:). Thank you very much for the update.

PS - I know that Axe Edit is being updated for q8 eventually, I was just curious if anyone else is having problems with Axe Edit consistently crashing with this firmware (and the beta) or if it's just me? <-- (Not a complaint btw. Axe Edit could crash every 2 seconds and I'd still be happy with this gear)

PPS - getting another USB cable just in case.

Really glad that my Q7 presets are pretty much translating with no adjustment on this FW. Redials are brutal/time sinks.

Really digging this firmware. About 75% of the time (everytime...) I'm a Class-A amp user, been on the DC30 for a while and wanted to try the Cirtrus AD30 again, couldn't believe how awesome it sounded. So switch back to the orange (it's almost like I've betrayed the DC30 :relaxed:). Thank you very much for the update.

PS - I know that Axe Edit is being updated for q8 eventually, I was just curious if anyone else is having problems with Axe Edit consistently crashing with this firmware (and the beta) or if it's just me? <-- (Not a complaint btw. Axe Edit could crash every 2 seconds and I'd still be happy with this gear)

I have not experienced any issues with AXE Edit. I updated the firmware through Fractal Bot, loaded AXE Edit and it updated the presets, etc. Been smooth.

The new default doesn't get in the way of anyone (it's an enhancement, not a necessity), while the previous default (0.5) seriously degraded the sound when combined with a traditional cab.

Don't be mistaken, there are a LOT of players out there using a traditional cab, or a mix of FR and a traditional cab. Including me.

And a lesly speaker

Sorry leslie

Love all the updates and support and the fact you're still supporting the mark I &2. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed these days with all these decisions. What amp in this firmware is the hot new item which new IR"s are the best. I have to face the facts I turned 60 and in the 80's and the 90's I played a JCM 800 and 2 4x12's. I basically had the same amp tone for 20+ years. This is making me feel my age...lol

New cable didn't make a difference. I'm guessing it's the software. Oh well, I'll just enjoy fw while waiting :wink:

Not exactly related but this discussion gave me an idea for a wish: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/about-global-cabinet-simulation-setting.126882/

This seems to happen about every 3rd FW. The 1st night I'm underwhelmed. And I've been told very many times that the final FW is the same modeling as the beta, but for some reason the final product seems quite a bit more 'even' than the beta. Probably all in my head.

There were some adjustments for sure. This is a 'clarity' update, and some of my presets seemed almost brittle. Added compression in the form of motor drive, and even some gain on a few amps. Needed to bump up my cab lowcut a bit more.

But my Bonamassa patch killed on 'Sloe Gin' with no adjustments. And I don't know what it is with my Plexi50 patch, it's the only one that I never change from update to update, and it slays me every time still.

I am so glad you put up this post!
I loaded in Q8 and played presets made for my Les Paul Custom.
I immediately heard the extra clarity but after 20 mins or so I became irritated and I reckoned my Les Paul sounded terrible, so tinny and brittle for such a full-bodied sounding guitar.
I thought it was my just my perception and was going to try a Jem but then I had the idea of rolling back to Q7.02 instead.
I rolled back and forth from Q8 to Q7.02 four times and every time I was back on Q7.02 the 'magic' was back.
I think I'll stick with Q7.02 for the moment, very happy with it.

Is the greater percentage of Axe-Fx customers using a traditional cabinet? If not, the minority has been catered to over the majority (?)
I didn't like it at 0.5 through FRFR (which is how I use the Axe all the time). I was having to zero it out for every preset after 7.02. Glad to have ti default to zero for Q8.

Back
Top Bottom