Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.02 Firmware Released

First of all: THANKS for 2 very quick update releases!

The following is not 100% clear (for me) with FW Q5.02:

- Properly installed the new FW 5.02
- I did do a REFRESH after FW installation
- I checked the release notes, but could not find this kind of info...

My presets seem to be are already on latest (as I started from scratch with Q5)

1. Do I need to a RESET on ANY blocks to have FW5.02 working correctly for all my PRESETS?
2. And preferably doing so without losing all my SETTINGS from Q5 presets?

Thanks in advance!

Nope, nothing left to do. Everything in your presets is using the latest Q5 modeling, and you are good to go. Just plug in and enjoy!

Hi Fractal

I just went from 5.00 to 5.02 [ skipped 5.01 ] and I cranked up my Axe and CLR to live/gig levels and unless my ears are totally " placebo'ing " on me .... 2 co-related things were quite apparent ....

( i ) the low / low-mids on all my Brit / Marshall style amps were noticeably tighter

... and as such

( ii ) my "chuga-chuga" crunch and dirty rhythm tones were similarly tighter with a much more solid and defined punch - especially with firmer / heavier palm-muting

I went back and forth from 5.00 <-> 5.02 with some good "ear breaks" in between and it was immedialty noticeable each time ... Im not saying its night-and-day .... but its definitly there.

For classic-old-school rock / rock / hard-rock players like me, the above is a really good thing :)

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Fractal

I just went from 5.00 to 5.02 [ skipped 5.01 ] and I cranked up my Axe and CLR to live/gig levels and unless my ears are totally " placebo'ing " on me .... 2 co-related things were quite apparent ....

( i ) the low / low-mids on all my Brit / Marshall style amps were noticeably tighter

... and as such

( ii ) my "chuga-chuga" crunch and dirty rhythm tones were similarly tighter with a much more solid and defined punch - especially with firmer / heavier palm-muting

I went back and forth from 5.00 <-> 5.02 with some good "ear breaks" in between and it was immedialty noticeable each time ... Im not saying its night-and-day .... but its definitly there.

For classic-old-school rock / rock / hard-rock players like me, the above is a really good thing :)

Thanks,
Ben

It's subtle but noticeable. Some amps more than others. It depends upon the Preamp Bias value. The further the value is from zero the more noticeable.

The rematched Pi Fuzz sounds great.

I never really cared for it before to be honest, I've never owned the real thing so I wasn't sure what it was supposed to sound like anyway.

Which version of the big muff Pi is this matched to if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering so I can get a reference point compared to the other versions.

Thanks for all your hard work Cliff.

Loving the FW updates. Thanks Cliff!!

I just checked and I'm using 20 different amps in my show. That was a surprise. Thought I was using maybe a dozen. Those added amps add up!! Something tells me Captn Hook will soon set sail onto this list.

65 Bassguy Nrml
Deluxe Verb Nrm
Double Verb Vib
6G4 Super
Super Verb Vib
Vibrato Verb CS
Deluxe Tweed
1959SLP Treble
Plexi 50W Hi 1
Plexi 100W 1970
Brit AFS 100 2
Brit Super
Class-A 30W Brt
Class-A 30W TB
Class-A 30W Hot
USA Pre LD2 Grn
USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Boutique1
Comet Concourse
Matchbox D-30

Loving the FW updates. Thanks Cliff!!

I just checked and I'm using 20 different amps in my show. That was a surprise. Thought I was using maybe a dozen. Those added amps add up!! Something tells me Captn Hook will soon set sail onto this list.

65 Bassguy Nrml
Deluxe Verb Nrm
Double Verb Vib
6G4 Super
Super Verb Vib
Vibrato Verb CS
Deluxe Tweed
1959SLP Treble
Plexi 50W Hi 1
Plexi 100W 1970
Brit AFS 100 2
Brit Super
Class-A 30W Brt
Class-A 30W TB
Class-A 30W Hot
USA Pre LD2 Grn
USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Boutique1
Comet Concourse
Matchbox D-30
Holy cow, that's a ton of different amps to manage!

Holy cow, that's a ton of different amps to manage!
LOL - Cliff has given us a candy store of amps, and I like candy!

I do covers, so I audition multiple amps for each song and select the one with the right mojo. I re-use amps and presets whenever possible, but I still end up with a harem of amps to manage. It's good for ear and tweaking skills though, and keeping familiar with different models. In the end, the Fender, Marshall, Vox trifecta is what I use the most. Specifically these:
65 Bassguy Nrml
Double Verb Vib
Plexi 50W Hi 1
Class-A 30W TB

Sounds again better with 5.02.
I also liked the tone in 5.0, has got more details on singing notes.

5.02 has got the straighter, more compact sound.

I´m suprised about the AC 30 TB and the JTM 45 - also here the bias value and harmonics are changing on 5.02.
And they sound quiet different - better to my ears. The JTM 45 is angry again........great.

It's subtle but noticeable. Some amps more than others. It depends upon the Preamp Bias value. The further the value is from zero the more noticeable.

5.02 really sounds great, a nice enhancement to an already amazing update! I would describe it as bringing the raw tube amp sound a little more forward!? imho

5.02 really sounds great, a nice enhancement to an already amazing update! I would describe it as bringing the raw tube amp sound a little more forward!? imho

Yes that is how I would describe it. Both 5.0 and 5.02 both really have something special going but I can't figure out which one I prefer.

Sounds again better with 5.02.
I also liked the tone in 5.0, has got more details on singing notes.

5.02 has got the straighter, more compact sound.

I´m suprised about the AC 30 TB and the JTM 45 - also here the bias value and harmonics are changing on 5.02.
And they sound quiet different - better to my ears. The JTM 45 is angry again........great.

Exactly, 5.0 has great detail and bloom on the singing notes that isn't quite there on 5.02, maybe it is just an adjustment I can make on the patch because I like the overall tone better on 5.02.

Thanks! It's good I'm never in a hurry to update, I've downlowded all recent Firmwares but I'm still at 4.0! I'll update to this as soon as I think it's "stable" enough, meaning, a FW that'll last us for a month?? :D

Thanks! It's good I'm never in a hurry to update, I've downlowded all recent Firmwares but I'm still at 4.0! I'll update to this as soon as I think it's "stable" enough, meaning, a FW that'll last us for a month?? :D

Updating takes about 5 minutes and this one offers improved modeling. Why wait?

Back
Top Bottom