Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 3.01 Firmware Release

I am excited about upgrading. I just got my Axe two weeks ago, and this would be my first upgrade. However, the computer I use for audio is still running Windows XP. When I went to get Fractal Bot to do the upgrade, it looks like there's no XP version of Fractal Bot. Is there an XP version somewhere, and if not how could I do upgrades? Thanks!
I'm using a bot version for Vista, not sure where to download it but I would assume it work for you.

I've always lived by the believe that Cliff is smarter at me and knows good guitar tone better than me; as such, I follow his lead as what "progress" is with regards to this magical black box he created and don't feel I've ever once been led astray.

What he said.

This firmware isn't working for me at all. I came from 1.6 and all my presets went lifeless. I tried to do adjustments, but I don't think it's working. I may try again later to see what's going on. A lot of the nuances and harmonics of my presets aren't there. I feel like there's something different going on with the actual tone. The playability went way down, but who knows maybe it's in my head. The XFRMR GRIND does some pretty cool things to the tone. You can hear it getting crisper and gritty. I just go back to those harmonics and resonance that I was getting with 1.6... It was way different than what I'm getting now.

This firmware isn't working for me at all. I came from 1.6 and all my presets went lifeless.

Try resetting the amp per preset. I do this every major release, and sometimes on sub releases as well, depends on what changed.
Just try one or two and see if you hear improvement (may or may not be obvious right away).
Q3.01 is very good, playability has improved a lot with quantum. imo.

This firmware isn't working for me at all. I came from 1.6 and all my presets went lifeless. I tried to do adjustments, but I don't think it's working. I may try again later to see what's going on. A lot of the nuances and harmonics of my presets aren't there. I feel like there's something different going on with the actual tone. The playability went way down, but who knows maybe it's in my head. The XFRMR GRIND does some pretty cool things to the tone. You can hear it getting crisper and gritty. I just go back to those harmonics and resonance that I was getting with 1.6... It was way different than what I'm getting now.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I noticed when I first got my AXE that they included a new set of Preset Banks A, B,and C dated Mar 10, 2016 for Quantum 2.01 or later. <- your firmware was older. Maybe this could possibly be the reason why?

Try resetting the amp per preset. I do this every major release, and sometimes on sub releases as well, depends on what changed.
Just try one or two and see if you hear improvement (may or may not be obvious right away).
Q3.01 is very good, playability has improved a lot with quantum. imo.

Seemed to help on some but I'm not getting the same feel or sounds. I'm going to have to take a break and comeback. Maybe too much fatigue is setting in...

I'm not sure if this matters, but I noticed when I first got my AXE that they included a new set of Preset Banks A, B,and C dated Mar 10, 2016 for Quantum 2.01 or later. <- your firmware was older. Maybe this could possibly be the reason why?

Don't know I have my own presets. Do you have to update banks and then load presets again?

Who's to say what Cliff thinks is "good tone", it's all subjective. He gives us the tools to freely create what is in our nutty brains.

To take it a little further, personally I don't really want what Cliff thinks is good tone in the Axe. I want the Axe amps to sound as close as possible to the real thing warts and all. And v3 I believe gets us closer. For instance, if you listen to the U2 sample by Toopy in the recording section, it is pretty much as close the Edge's Vox sound as you can get and there are some other examples by Black Bitch that don't just sound great but feel authentic to the sound of the real amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
To take it a little further, personally I don't really want what Cliff thinks is good tone in the Axe. I want the Axe amps to sound as close as possible to the real thing warts and all. And v3 I believe gets us closer. For instance, if you listen to the U2 sample by Toopy in the recording section, it is pretty much as close the Edge's Vox sound as you can get and there are some other examples by Black Bitch that don't just sound great but feel authentic to the sound of the real amp.

This.

Beat me to it, man. ;)

I think that has clearly been Cliff's focus as well, to all our benefit. If you read the discussions he has made when making design decisions, he really only tends to deviate intentionally for pure usability features after careful consideration. There is also a lot of measurement, analysis and straight up non-subjective engineering going into it. The process has evolved to the point where he requires a real, physical reference amp to be available in addition to an accurate schematic of said amp, to do a model.

The FAS Models, some of which are spectacular, are Cliff's canvas for providing amp tones that are not based on things that have a measurable accuracy back to the real world.

Such a cool machine.

It's EXACTLY the same as 2.04 and earlier. Please read the release notes and the OP carefully. Transformer Grind is now what Dynamic Presence was in 3.00 and Dynamic Presence has been restored to what it was prior to 3.00.
I have ridden and have understood - the dynamic pres knob seems to be more powerful in this firmware - this was the question. Maybe only in this FW or the power of this knob has been increased? Anyway, I use my ears.

Edit: Done - the bugfix is here........http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...irmware-release-3-01-we-hardly-new-ye.114101/

Last edited:
cliff found a difference (reported in another thread) we're not going crazy. the dyn pres in 3 should be the same as it was in 2, but there's an unexplained difference. i guess cliff is looking into it now as i type this

I just used FractalBot (and the handy button underneath to download FW), and it downloaded 3.02... So it looks like things have changed.

And v3 I believe gets us closer. For instance, if you listen to the U2 sample by Toopy in the recording section, it is pretty much as close the Edge's Vox sound as you can get

First of all...thanks. You have no idea how long and how many pieces of gear I've been through to hear those words!! :)

So now comes my dilemma. Do I try 3.02 or just roll with 3.01 and play more...so I can get that 'punk' thing going, as Matt mentioned?

Why would you say that? AFAIK, I am using them appropriately. On the Bludo amp with low MV, I want to get a bit more bite when I dig in. That previously was the Dynamic Presence knob, and as far as the release notes seem to indicate, it still is. I'm not using transformer grind at all on this amp, because it is a "big iron" amp and the MV is set low. But that Dynamic Presence control seems more touchy than before.

Yessss! 3.02 fixed the issue I was having. Thanks, y'all!

When I click on the link to download Quantum 3 it just takes me to the Fractal home page and nothing downlaods? ANyone else experience this and figure out how to solve it?

Back
Top Bottom