Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

Playing on clean amps and vaguely pushed amps on this FW, I finally *get* compressors. There can be a nastyness in there that only smooths out with compression.

Jury is still out, but my Dirty Shirl preset is a downright trollop. Woo.

(Edit: Nasty as in 'raw', or 'unbridled'...not 'ew'.)

Got to play with this a bit this morning. Damn I love the Axe FX. I have a IIC+ preset that I put the Triaxis Lead 2 Green tonestack into, not sure why, but I really like it for high gain rhythm.

Not sure what exactly it's really doing, or if I'd be better off using the Triaxis as is, but doesn't the IIC+ have a different power amp model than the Triaxis in the Axe FX?

I don't know; didn't try that. What I did was delete Amp 1 and the tone went away. I'll do more experimenting tomorrow night.
i wasn't describing a workflow, necessarily. how did you end up with Amp 2 in the preset? at what point did the bad sound appear?

how are Amp 1 and Amp 2 used in the preset? are they in line with each other?

I discovered that a preset I made 3 days ago, was using 2.0 modeling after today's update. I don't really understand why, since I thought I had changed my global setting to USE LATEST, back when the feature became available.

So, just putting it out there to the forum - check your global settings for which modeling version is being used, and check the amp in the preset, on the front panel, to make sure the correct mode is selected.

i wasn't describing a workflow, necessarily. how did you end up with Amp 2 in the preset? at what point did the bad sound appear?

how are Amp 1 and Amp 2 used in the preset? are they in line with each other?

I had put amp 2 in the preset under V2.x. They are in parallel, with only one being used at a time at this point.

I did a reset to the amp 2 block using Axe-Edit and the tone went away. All is fine now.

Got lost for a couple hours with Beta 3.0 and this BE V2 preset. Sounds great on my setups, your mileage may vary.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4217

Friedman BE V2 using two factory ML Cabs in stereo. The amp is set pretty much default, just a bit of master added. I used the modern preamp in the cab block for some light tone shaping. Even though this preset is simple, the stereo UltraRes cabs and HQ verbs and cab pre's eat some serious CPU. (But sound amazing.)

Scene one is default amp->cab->verb. It's very responsive to playing dynamics and the guitar's volume knob.
Scene two adds some big hair courtesy of the FAS boost.
Scene 3 goes back to the basic tone but adds some delay and chorus for texture. Again, play with your guitar's volume control and play around the edge of breakup. There's some rewarding tones in there. (Again this applies to scene one as well.)
Scene 4 kicks in a Zen Master and the ducking delay for some great violin sounding lead tones.

I hope someone can get some enjoyment out of it. :)

About Dynamic Presence:

". This control can also be set negative to cause the tone to darken when playing hard. .".

I don't see any negative value possibility for this control - am I missing something? (0-10 value on FP and AE)

Edited

Hey all

Please pardon my "dumbness" here but Im not at my Axe and Axe Edit equipped PC at the moment ...... so .......with 3.00b .......

A => is " Dynamic Presence " a totally new control / setting that has been added to the Axe hardware 3.00b ROM but not yet to Axe Edit (?) .... at my Rig now .... found it :)

or

B => is it a specific exisiting control (?) .... at my Rig now .... found it :)

and lastly, ether way

C => is it default / factory set to Fractals "recommended ideal" setting when 3.00b gets installed and flashed (?) .... hmmmm .... still a bit confused ... see next post ....

Thanks.
Ben

Last edited:
Re: " Dynamic Presence " and " Dynamic Depth " (thought I'd ask about both see I was here :))

- just went to 3.00b from 2.04
- did a "refresh after fw update "
- checked that Axe 2 Global has "latest modelling" selected = yes
- checked A/Edit and each individual amp has "lastest" selected for modelling engine = yes

My Amp specific " Dynamic Presences" and " Dynamic Depths " are as follows:-

- AC20 = Dynamic Presence = 1 Dynamic Depth = 0
- Maz 38 = Dynamic Presence = 1 Dynamic Depth = 0
- AC30 TB = Dynamic Presence = 1 Dynamic Depth = 0
- Plexi 50w Hi 1 = Dynamic Presence = 1 Dynamic Depth = 0

- Shirley = Dynamic Presence = 0 Dynamic Depth = 0
- Atomica High = Dynamic Presence = 0 Dynamic Depth = 0
- Tucana Lead = Dynamic Presence = 0 Dynamic Depth = 0
- Triptik Modern = Dynamic Presence = 0 Dynamic Depth = 0
- Corncob M50 = Dynamic Presence = 0 Dynamic Depth = 0

=> are these the correct 3.00b factory-stock settings for both Dynamic Presence and Dynamic Depth ?

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Thanks for returning the original BE and HBE- this is the first time I really missed an amp. It may be based on an inferior specimen, but I had years of experience with it. Thanks again.

I took one of my presets (using the Blankenship Leeds) & recorded a "before / after" track of just slamming an A chord with a basic riff in between. Noticed a definite "darker" sound to the patch after the upgrade. After brightening it back up, a lot of the harshness was gone. Went through several others & although most didn't require much tweaking, the clarity was improved once I got them to where they were prior to the upgrade. For me this is huge. Plan on working more with the new FW tonight but so far it's really nice.

Last edited:
The Corncob... I don't know if you did something to it but I have tested it against previous firmware versions... Oh god, it is incredible now. I love it!

I agree--seems like a 'major' update that does a few minor things...
No not at all, i've just updated and my new second Goto Amp is the Dweezil Badassamp...
Need more tests, but so far, the day is getting better and better.
The new dynamic control is interesting, it seems it works on different amps in a different way, but i've just began, not sure what happens there...

Back
Top Bottom