Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

I'm a bit scared to release this. It's so accurate but some of the models are plain nasty, just like the amps. Spitty, fizzy, scratchy. The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off.
Please release it this weekend, if possible of course.

Hopefully this exciting news isn't just Cliff's tribute to the date of April the 1st.....

I'm all for some amps sounding "bad", because that is just the type of variety that really makes it worthwhile having 200 some amp models to me. When we've got 200 models that all sound great, it doesn't matter quite so much which one you pick, because any will sound "good".

I totally would welcome some nasty sounding amps, because that adds some real variety, which is exactly how I recall many of my real world amps I've owned. They didn't always sound sweet, and that is exactly why I enjoyed many of them.

I'm a bit scared to release this. It's so accurate but some of the models are plain nasty, just like the amps. Spitty, fizzy, scratchy. The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off.

I'm in the perfect mood for pissed off, nasty amps. Release the fw and I'll go dig up a whip and cattle prod.

I totally would welcome some nasty sounding amps, because that adds some real variety, which is exactly how I recall many of my real world amps I've owned. They didn't always sound sweet, and that is exactly why I enjoyed many of them.
absolutely ! and exactly why early modelers sounded so horrible (and many still do). they just weren't able to deliver the real nasty rawness many amps have. it may come as a shock to some users as they've never played any of the those amps, but it's the reality.

absolutely ! and exactly why early modelers sounded so horrible (and many still do). they just weren't able to deliver the real nasty rawness many amps have. it may come as a shock to some users as they've never played any of the those amps, but it's the reality.

Surely will have some poor user "reviews" complaining that some of the amps are harsh, or thin, et al., which in a way is a huge compliment to the modeling process, because lets face it, tons of amps don't subjectively sound that good.

I can assure anyone that there are not 200 real world amps I would like, much less buy, but honestly with the Axe, I am pretty happy with most anything in there. If a FW3.0 results in me totally hating 100+ amp models, that is huge progress baby, because that is my experience with lots of real world stuff I've plugged into. Subjective opinion of course as an amp I can't turn off quick another another guy might fall in love with.

Upside to all this should be that those handful of amps that I do end up loving will likely become even that much better.

Can't appreciate the sweet, if you never taste the sour.

Can't have that one or two 'perfect' amp models if you don't have a bunch that sound awful to your ears

Oh, forgot to add a related thought....

Remember how 1 or 2 weeks ago the most important thing in our lives was if FW 2.01 or 2.02 sounded "better". That was like the single biggest choice some of us may have ever faced....

Fast forward to "soon" and surely that important decision will seem as silly and long ago as when I had to pick if I wanted to spend my birthday money on a Sega or SNES video game system

Clearly with your teasing skills, you've been a successful stripper in several past lives...

...or perhaps your current one...

Last edited:
So - is there a pending Tech Note that details your thoughts and implications of the new feature(s)?

I've been stuck in that bit of the forum lately to better understand the depth of tone crafting available to us in the software. Always enjoy learning about the changes that you have made and why/how.

The details are always fascinating even if I have to read it multiple times.

So - is there a pending Tech Note that details your thoughts and implications of the new feature(s)?

I've been stuck in that bit of the forum lately to better understand the depth of tone crafting available to us in the software. Always enjoy learning about the changes that you have made and why/how.

The details are always fascinating even if I have to read it multiple times.

I think the best tech note possible, and one that will yield the most pleased ears and sore fingertips is simply a note that says "The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off". What more does one really need ?

Cliff can say that, I will say "awesome" and proceed to spend every waking moment for the next 2 days playing my guitar.

Just updated to 2.04 and at random I get Axe FX Time Out! Error.. Reboot and it still does it. Then let it sit for a moment and the mfc goes back to working fine.

Word around the water cooler is that this v3.00 has run into some problems. Apparently FAS has had to delay it until they can fully beta test a new app called "AxeAmpRepairShop" to deal with many of the amp models failing just like the real life counterparts they are modeled from.

I mean at some point it's going to happen guys. Seriously.

Ok, probably not, but it'd be funny as hell. :)

Back
Top Bottom