Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

I still think there may be ways to compromise on this issue - by making it easier to recover from an upgrade. What about focusing our requests on the AxeEdit team instead of the modeling code? Since AxeEdit has to reread the block defs after every upgrade, how about asking for a way to highlight where they don't match so we can easily see what parms need to be checked after the update? Highlighing deep parms that will get reset? Asking if we want to reload default deep parms, or keep existing?

The point is, I think there are ways to simplify the recovery process - which may make the frequent model updates much easier to handle.

Just my opinion obviously...
RR
I like the idea. I had once suggested that they create a utility that converts previous firmware patches to the newest firmware as Fractal knows what has changed in each update and by how much. This way the sound would sound the same (or very close to it).

I like the idea. I had once suggested that they create a utility that converts previous firmware patches to the newest firmware as Fractal knows what has changed in each update and by how much. This way the sound would sound the same (or very close to it).

Seems that would kind of defeat the purpose of upgrading though wouldn't it ? I mean if Cliff comes out with a new algo which he feels is improved, and if with various tweaks, one could back off that improvement to keep things sounding the same, then wouldn't it make sense to just stick with what is working ?

i don't think the changes can be calculated specifically all the time. but it'd be cool if some could be :)
Yeah - I'm clearly speaking out of ignorance here as to what it would take. The fact that there isn't a utility to convert patches between the XL(+) and the original axe units and the AX8 (which I think people would want much more) would seem to indicate that it is a lot harder than just sitting down and writing some code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that would kind of defeat the purpose of upgrading though wouldn't it ? I mean if Cliff comes out with a new algo which he feels is improved, and if with various tweaks, one could back off that improvement to keep things sounding the same, then wouldn't it make sense to just stick with what is working ?
This way he would't have to maintain multiple fw's as some have suggested, everyone could upgrade to get the benefits of new amps and effects, people would not have to spend a lot of time recreating patches (as this would be done by the utility), the axe exchange would become more useful etc and yet still have the sounds that they like or change to the latest version if they prefer. And then Cliff could make whatever changes he wanted and as long as people had their presets saved for conversion everyone would be happy and we wouldn't have 15 pages on 2.01 v 2.02 :)

i think the thought is about how the sound can change from FW to FW, and the user's desire to keep the sound the same, basically "not" using the changes the FW brought. but yeah, i'm in the camp where i think if you update FW, it will be a different sound. many don't want that, but want the feature updates that come with new FW. i think lately though, with quantum, the differences are very subtle. i think it's why i'm so surprised how some are hearing such a difference between 2.01 and 2.02. i mean, FAS did "critical" listening sessions, probably blind tests, etc., while some users are like "it's an obvious difference." not saying anyone is wrong or less correct, i'm just always surprised is all.

this of course is just for discussion, YMMV IMHO AFAIK LOLWTFBBQ.

Last edited:
Cliff... having a blast with the Matchless DC-30, a RAT and some delays.
sounds phenom..
did you do something to the drive pedals?

tube modeling is spot on, can't wait to hear how these new changes advance

I finally installed 2.02 this evening. I've bounced back and forth from 2.0, 2.01 and 2.02.

I've tried presets that I'm familiar with, and a few factory presets. I didn't adjust anything between loading firmwares.

For me personally I prefer 2.0 because the touch sensitivity, chime and feel are my preference.

I hear clarity in 2.01 and 2.02 that I don't hear in 2.0 but having to choose I like 2.0 better. YMMV

I've tried going back to previous FW but it rarely sounds as good as I remember. It's need a motivational poster that reminds me it's all in the hands.

I've tried going back to previous FW but it rarely sounds as good as I remember. It's need a motivational poster that reminds me it's all in the hands.

fw Q2.02 has gone and made my fingers sore…
and it's not like I'm a casual once in a blue moon player..
I'm supposed to be working on this guitar solo.. I reckon I nailed it ages ago..
but I just keep playing different versions.. different ways of hitting it..
melodic and soulful with big soaring bends… then I'll get all blues rock with it.. then I'll just shred it's tits off…
Q2.02 just sings and sings… makes me want to play to the point where I forgot that I need to finish this and get on with the next piece..
so… yup… it's all in the hands until they hurt…
now I got to stop having so much fun with it and knuckle down… lmao

What's the general consensus? I spent some time with 2.02 today and after some advanced tweaking, I was able to get a really good heavy sound but when I went to the plexi's they didn't seem as good as 2.01. Is this what others are finding or the opposite? Is this why Cliff is adding the option of both versions?

i think the thought is about how the sound can change from FW to FW, and the user's desire to keep the sound the same, basically "not" using the changes the FW brought. but yeah, i'm in the camp where i think if you update FW, it will be a different sound. many don't want that, but want the feature updates that come with new FW.

Hmm. Wouldn't it be cool if the amp modeling and "everything else" could be updated independent of one another...?

Hmm. Wouldn't it be cool if the amp modeling and "everything else" could be updated independent of one another...?
someone else said that earlier in this thread i believe. the idea has come up over the years as well. it would create too many versions and combinations of FW states, and a nightmare to support IMO.

What's the general consensus? I spent some time with 2.02 today and after some advanced tweaking, I was able to get a really good heavy sound but when I went to the plexi's they didn't seem as good as 2.01. Is this what others are finding or the opposite? Is this why Cliff is adding the option of both versions?
i think right now, some like 2.01 for various reasons, and others like 2.02 for various reasons. though i've seen the same reasons for 2.01 and 2.02, like "____ is smoother" - it's weird when both are smoother than the other. so i'm not sure this is unlike any other FW change we've had before. at least at this point. not sure what's going on at FAS HQ ;)

Here you go:

53354181.jpg

Google wasn't as much help as I had hoped it would be.

I still think there may be ways to compromise on this issue - by making it easier to recover from an upgrade. What about focusing our requests on the AxeEdit team instead of the modeling code? Since AxeEdit has to reread the block defs after every upgrade, how about asking for a way to highlight where they don't match so we can easily see what parms need to be checked after the update? Highlighing deep parms that will get reset? Asking if we want to reload default deep parms, or keep existing?

The point is, I think there are ways to simplify the recovery process - which may make the frequent model updates much easier to handle.

Just my opinion obviously...
RR
I had been thinking along these lines awhile back. So long as major changes cause parameters to be added or radically changed this would seem unwieldy to add to the workload of a small team. Once no new parameters were added for a few FW, it would probably take a lot of work to write something like that; but of course maybe there is existing code elsewhere that could take a spreadsheet and do this. Of course, who knows where the code is, and how hard it would be to make an interface for it. Bringing it into the Axe Edit would be outstanding, but how would the interface go, since the idea is to avoid paging through the preset, I guess it would be ideal to highlight each of the left hand tabs pointing to a screen on the Amp Block, and then within the page, to highlight the knob with the change.

Any programmers out there that know where a basic software spreadsheet comparison tool is?

Back
Top Bottom