Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

Yup; I have great tones already - I guess I just get greedy with new toys :)

New tools makes me think I can get mo' betta tones :)
and maybe we can :) definitely experiment, but i wouldn't put sooooo much emphasis on a new parameter being the make-or-break setting. (i know you and others here get that, but explaining for beginners.)

i always get many emails and PMs asking me "omg how do i set the new ____ parameter for best tones!!!", in this case it's the Harmonics parameter. they're always surprised when i tell them to leave it alone because they probably already sound good. :)

Times like these I remember the first page I read in the axe manual ....don't get to wrapped up in creating everyone's tones.......the most important thing is to find a tone that inspires you .....and play..

Totally get what you are saying on "rules". And I wouldn't use "rules" to set the tone, just to know what's it's doing would help me dial in quicker in a knowledgeable way vs. trying every permutation of knob twisting. I haven't that that much time to live ;)

Your have been quite helpful actually as references as to what you hear each parameter doing, and even the specific values. Keep 'em coning please. Thanks!

Lol @ having that much time to live! I feel the same. I totally get what you are saying too. I didn't mean to discredit you looking for things to make your experience easier to manage. Cliff or the other guys might be able to help with the science end. I'm just a dial turner until it sounds right. Lol! But I will post something up tomorrow in case my experience can help anyone. :)

Times like these I remember the first page I read in the axe manual ....don't get to wrapped up in creating everyone's tones.......the most important thing is to find a tone that inspires you .....and play..
yes and yes and 2.01 inspires really...the best FW ever in the AXE and Cliff know that:)! Thank you!:)

I play mostly strats and while I liked a lot about 2.01 the high end was harsh on my single coils, especially the bridge. I find 2.02 to be much smoother with a really sweet high end that doesn't have me dialing it out. Either way I can get the result I want, it's just how many changes I have to make to get there. I did have one patch with the Blakenship that I ended up increasing the harmonics to smooth it out and it became gorgeous. Otherwise, 0 harmonics for my strat sounds heavenly. As always, thanks for the fantastic customer support and continuous improvement Cliff!

I play mostly strats and while I liked a lot about 2.01 the high end was harsh on my single coils, especially the bridge. I find 2.02 to be much smoother with a really sweet high end that doesn't have me dialing it out. Either way I can get the result I want, it's just how many changes I have to make to get there. I did have one patch with the Blakenship that I ended up increasing the harmonics to smooth it out and it became gorgeous. Otherwise, 0 harmonics for my strat sounds heavenly. As always, thanks for the fantastic customer support and continuous improvement Cliff!
+1 on 2.02 with a Strat.

That's weird, I find 2.02 much harsher than 2.01, at least the ac30tb.. Like I said in a previous post, no matter how I set it, there is this uncontrollable distortion around the 4khz which I can't seem to dial out unless I cut using eq, but in that case I loose the definition and the pick attack

That's weird, I find 2.02 much harsher than 2.01, at least the ac30tb.. Like I said in a previous post, no matter how I set it, there is this uncontrollable distortion around the 4khz which I can't seem to dial out unless I cut using eq, but in that case I loose the definition and the pick attack

Any chance you may be clipping something? Maybe turn amp master volume up and play with gain a bit? I've never experienced any additional distortion type artifacts after an update. Not saying it isn't possible but you may have to play with the gain a bit especially if Cliff changed that amp.

My gains are a little different in the amps that I use since the update. The master volume and input gain really contribute to how the drive characteristics are delivered.

Definitely experiment with that if you haven't already. I have literally gotten tone changes just by messing with gain and master volume and how they affect the tone stack.

I know it sucks when we do this, but have you reset system settings? I've had one fw act weird on me where this seemed to fix the problem. Not sure it will help, but all you lose is the time it takes to set your settings back manually.

I promised wifey I'd hang with her today and tonight. I'm sneaking off to the bathroom each time to respond. She just yelled "you can't be pooping again.....that's 6 times today pal....you posting on fractal forums again?!" Lol!

Naughty Danny - you have been pooping again ;)

Last edited:
Any chance you may be clipping something? Maybe turn amp master volume up and play with gain a bit? I've never experienced any additional distortion type artifacts after an update. Not saying it isn't possible but you may have to play with the gain a bit especially if Cliff changed that amp.

My gains are a little different in the amps that I use since the update. The master volume and input gain really contribute to how the drive characteristics are delivered.

Definitely experiment with that if you haven't already. I have literally gotten tone changes just by messing with gain and master volume and how they affect the tone stack.

I know it sucks when we do this, but have you reset system settings? I've had one fw act weird on me where this seemed to fix the problem. Not sure it will help, but all you lose is the time it takes to set your settings back manually.

Yeah well, the ac30tb is a non mv amp, so I have the mv at 10 and I mess with gain knob. I have reset the amp block but not the system settings, do they affect the modeling?? I thought they were just for I/O setup and stuff like that

Okay, I just spent the last five hours coding it so the user can select 2.01 or 2.02 for *each" amp model (rather than a global setting). This way you can choose which version you like best.
Jeez. You make it too easy for us. Love this guy! I think 2.02 is the bees knees. It is blowing me away. Again.

I had a similar experience and was really happy with the tone when I turned up the preamp harmonics to around .5. You might want to give this a try.

Okay, I just spent the last five hours coding it so the user can select 2.01 or 2.02 for *each" amp model (rather than a global setting). This way you can choose which version you like best.

Wow...amazing. Thanks. Well nobody can say you don't listen to your customers, even if they are wankers that continue to yank you around. :D

That said, I just spent the last half hour going through my 2.01 presets in 2.02, and putting in the 2.01 harmonics values - and it seems to have fixed my minor issues. I think from now on I'm going to use the 24 hour rule. :p LOL

RR

I don't even know what to say, you are a machine! I was thinking that it might be dependent on the amps you tend to lean towards as to what version you prefer, and you just went ahead and made THIS happen!! FAS is at the next level! No other company does this, and that is why you have so many loyal customers... Thank you!

I love that Fractal Audio always listen to it's costumers, but frankly people here are too spoiled. I've only had one amp my entire guitar playing life (a cheap SS Fender Princeton 112), and after that a BOSS GT10. Since BOSS doesn't care near as much to it's costumers and you can't update an Amp firmware (lol), I've learned to play with what I had at the time, dialing my tone for hours, trying to find eq pedals, compressors, drive pedals, anything to try to get it there.

With the AxeFx I was blown away with how much ease I could set a terrific tone!
Sometimes with firmware changes, my tone changed and all I needed to do was to dial the amp again, and In 10 or so minutes o got a better tone that of the previous firmware.

So people, chill and play!
Cliff thank you for the effort to please everyone, but for me, frankly, I completely agree with the AxeFx mission - To be the most accurate modeler ever.
Keep doing your magic. Don't bother so much for little details we keep complaining!

Back
Top Bottom