Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

The 2.01 firmware was so a huge step for me. The best firmware ever. The 2.02 is a complete different thing. I did resets on all parameters
but it still sounds, compared to 2.01, muddy to me and especially the thing everybody is calling "breakup" that was nearly perfekt in 2.01 is lost for me now.

Maybe it´s better now for the high gain stuff? Anyway I reinstalled 2.01 and happy again :)
As I said in the 2.01 thread - this FW 2.01 is for the players - who want tone.........

The harmonics knob seems to me like it works differently , 2.01 seemed to soften the amp by turning it down, 2.02 softens it by turning it up.
M.

At 2.01 the harmonic knob also works the same way - turning it up softens the amp. But the default setting was not null like in 2.02.
Maybe tomorrow Cliff will explain this.

I've been messing around with fw2.02 for the last couple hours and I find that edge of break up tones (which is 80% of my presets) have some kind of stiffness in the breakup, it feels like the breakup is in the wrong frequencies (400 and 4K) making the tone less pleasant, less mix friendly and less musical than 2.01. Of course it can be shaped with eq, but that would require reprogramming all presets.. Also, on 2.01 I had lowered harmonics to 2-3 and it sounded perfect, now it's at 0 and i wish i could go below. Why isn't there the usual menu to select the modeling behavior like we had for q1? It'd be nice to compare back and forth
If it's stiff, you'd want to roll the harmonics up, not down, right?

You were the first one to complain about 2.01. You were one of the reasons we reverted the preamp modeling because you were complaining so loudly.
ups - I´m only a unknown guitarplayer..........:)

But without kidding - we were discussing the harmonie knob, using a soudexample with Friedmann BE.
Everbody who was talking said the default setting sound better. I don´t think I was complaining loud........

Last edited:
You were the first one to complain about 2.01. You were one of the reasons we reverted the preamp modeling because you were complaining so loudly.
I continuously see what you mean Cliff about trying to appease the masses. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally I think you've nailed it with 2.02 and it sounds GREAT! Maybe add the option with "2.01 or 2.02 preamp modeling" in the menu like you did in the earlier quantum versions. Or let the dust settle....everyone will figure it out and end up tweaking the sound to their liking anyway. Just a suggestion from a consumer who is still totally amazed at this unit since the Ultra days. And again, THANK YOU for the hard work and FREE updates.

It seems like 2.01 works best for some and 2.02 works best for others. Would it be possible to have the option to select between the two preamp modeling types in the same FW in order to move forward with future FW releases but stay consistent with preferred modeling types? IMHO, 2.01 is the most lifelike and organic FW I've played yet. 2.02 isn't bad at all, but there's just something about 2.01 that hits the "real" factor for me in a very cool way.

Although I've been following this thread, I must have missed what preamp modeling change was made from 2.01 to 2.02. I saw the release notes, but what exactly was refined? Was it just the harmonics parm?

RR

Well....I've loaded 2.2 today and love it.
Had a friend in the studio tonight who popped in for half an hour - and he ended up staying about 7 hours because of the axe fx - loved it. Here comes another sale :)

Thanks Cliff and team - love your work.
Pauly

Thanks Cliff appreciate your passion for excellence and for constantly improving and sharing those improvements.....being married for 26 years I don't look forward to much...haha but I love seeing a new update....and it keeps getting better and better.....can't thank you enough for sharing all this without charging us.
That is all ....

Darn if I can't really tell 2.0 Beta from 2.0 from 2.01 from 2.02...they've all sounded and felt good

I was able to tell a difference in a lot of amp models going to Quantum, but past that I just don't have the ear training some of you guys must to tell some of these, subtle (in my opinion), differences.

Reading these forums that makes me feel like I'm the minority, but..., given that most Axe users probably aren't represented here, maybe I'm actually in the majority of users and listening discrimination ability ?

I usually have to turn a given knob half way (going from 5 to 10 lol) before I can tell a difference, while folks here at able to tell 6.00 from 6.05

It seems like 2.01 works best for some and 2.02 works best for others. Would it be possible to have the option to select between the two preamp modeling types in the same FW in order to move forward with future FW releases but stay consistent with preferred modeling types? IMHO, 2.01 is the most lifelike and organic FW I've played yet. 2.02 isn't bad at all, but there's just something about 2.01 that hits the "real" factor for me in a very cool way.
+1000 - i also prefer 2.01:)

I couldn't tell a massive difference between the two. Both sounded great and for the first time in months I switched amps and I got stuck on the VH4 blue. What a cool tone that amp has. Thanks Cliff and Company for the continued firmware updates. It really keeps getting better which is mind blowing because I remember 2.0 being fantastic.

D

I usually have to turn a given knob half way (going from 5 to 10 lol) before I can tell a difference, while folks here at able to tell 6.00 from 6.05

As you know, some of us are taking our Axe with into bed..........:D

It´s sometimes an extra universe we are talking about - a none-guitarplayer wouldn´t even hear what we are talking about endlessly.......sometimes it´s only how another FW "feels" in our hands........but that´s the difference between an guitar and a dead Keyboard I think..:D........

There is no good or bad anymore imho, maybe taste and feel.
JustinYork nailed it for me too (2.01 is the most lifelike and organic ).
Maybe this is a play stile thing and you hear/feel it more with the low gain tones, near the breakup/cutoff

I'm in the 2.02 camp. Sounds "more realer" to me for the Marshally amps. My presets sound great, very authentic and alive again. I also love 2.0.
I like to use the tone and volume knobs on my les Paul to get the desired sounds so maybe that's a factor, I don't know.

Last edited:
Personally, it sounds a little like the tail wagging the dog. If the goal is to get the sound and feel as close to the reference amps (obviously the custom Fractal amps are different) then regardless of anyone's personal preference to a specific sound or feel, I would vote for getting it to sound and feel like that amp and being done with it. If it is Q2.01 or if it is Q2.02 that sounds exactly like the reference amps then thats what the amp sounds like and thats that. Users can go into the almost dizzying array of advanced features and tweak it to sound however they want. Not to mention all the IR's that are out there to add additional customization of the sound and feel. Again, personally, if the Axe sounds and feels like the real reference amp then Fractal's job is done and I'd prefer to to see the inspiration go into new amps, effects, greater efficiency of the algorithms and frankly whatever other cool stuff Fractal can dream up.

Back
Top Bottom