Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Loaded it up last night and reset my amp and cab blocks on all my patches , Holy cow Quantum Leap for sure !!

Is it at all possible that the amp and cab block resets put certain parameters you had tweaked back in their default positions, and you're crediting any difference you're hearing and feeling to THOSE differences instead of anything introduced by the new firmware? ;)

I played around with dephase...finally. I can see why FRFR folks like it. It's almost like EQing the high end but in a way that retains better character/cut. As others have said, it rounds off the trebly spikiness that can come from the IRs closer to the cap at high volume. I've been using dephase on 5. I'll be testing it this upcoming weekend at a gig to see how it does as far as cut in the mix.

One question...any MFC related issues with Quantum beta?

Is it at all possible that the amp and cab block resets put certain parameters you had tweaked back in their default positions, and you're crediting any difference you're hearing and feeling to THOSE differences instead of anything introduced by the new firmware? ;)

If there are any advances tweaks I set everything back the same , so no, the difference is strictly attributed to the firmware!
Actually the only tweak I do is treble cap value on one Plexi edge of breakup patch , everything else is default!

If there are any advances tweaks I set everything back the same , so no, the difference is strictly attributed to the firmware!
Actually the only tweak I do is treble cap value on one Plexi edge of breakup patch , everything else is default!

Fair enough. Love your avatar! :)

Reactions: RDH
I was able to install Quantum 1.0 yesterday, and I must say that it is the most noticeable (positive) change I've experienced between firmware revisions.

I haven't had a chance to play through my power amp/cab yet, but even direct through the Cab block there is a very pronounced difference in feel, responsiveness and sound. I notice this the most when picking very lightly on a medium to high gain patch. This was one of the few things that I was previously unable to replicate in the Axe FX.

Great work!

Oops, looks like I entered the wrong cathode resistor value on those. They have about four times the gain they should. They won't sound right just reducing the gain either because that messes several things up. Use Recto1. That's a better sounding amp anyways. The old Rectos sound much better than the newer ones.

Not asking for a beta update because there's already way too much awesomeness to play with, but I just wanted to voice the opposite opinion from a happy user. As a player who got used to the sound and feel of newer recto's, I've personally come to prefer it and really enjoy the Recto 2 over the Recto 1. Please don't let the Recto 2 models get less TLC, they're PERFECT and I've gotten the best recto tones I've ever had with that model. Excited for trying them out with Quantum when they're ready!

I'm not setup to post a clip but I am getting a kind of mid sounding harmonic konk konk sound when I palm mute that wasn't there on 20B and its really bothering me. anyone else? its like when you mute the strings and hit a percussive harmonic rake kind of sound along with the regular chunky palm sound. strange

QUANTUM GAS DANGER ALERT: :devilish:

Pickups!!! At its current state, the Axe-FX exposes so much the different nuances when using different pickups that it can raise a very dangerous GAS for pickups. I am already feeling the urge to try different pickups just for the sake of fun! :lol

Of course, that is not a disadvantage but, on the contrary, it is one of the reasons why the Axe-FX is better than a conventional amplifier; because you can tweak the signal in order to match any pickup with any amplifier. With a real amplifier you are limited, in certain way, to the pickups that match with your amplifier's input.

Idea for Cliff: develop a pickup/guitar modeler; like the one at the Roland VG99 but with Fractal Audio quality. Can you imagine? Swapping all kind of custom pickups and guitars with the same facility that we are currently swapping cabs with syx files :love-struck:

Now this is a good Idea!! or a FractAx Guitar that really nails the models !!

Oh yeah! Perhaps throw in modeling of different wood types for the body, neck, and fretboard. Different body styles, e.g. solid vs. semi vs. hollow. If it can be done, Cliff is the guy.

Oh yeah! Perhaps throw in modeling of different wood types for the body, neck, and fretboard. Different body styles, e.g. solid vs. semi vs. hollow. If it can be done, Cliff is the guy.

This sounds like a post by a guitarists wife.

"See honey, now you don't need all of those guitars because you can get all those sounds from one. We can sell your collection and replace them with shoes and purses."

Well I just had a go at decent volume through my 2x12 Mesa Recto cab (Matrix GT1000FX). Short plate and authentic sound quite different indeed. Short plate is more compressed and immediate, authentic feels a little more spongy but also has more actual bass punch. I mostly use 5150s - found I had to dial my depth back a bit with authentic as it no longer needed the extra low end. I had a couple of patches with dynamic depth to give more low end thump with palm mutes but I find authentic sounds more balanced with that set to 0. The lows on short plate feel slightly choked next to authentic. I didn't notice this much until playing louder through my cab.

I think I need to redial an amp from scratch as the picking response is so different.

In the final FW will there be authentic short and authentic long? Currently authentic is quite different to short, long feels closer to authentic on my patches anyway.

I had a similar feeling with the HBE. Short sounded alive whereas authentic sounded dull and lifeless. Using FRFR though.
Can't imagine Friedman wanted it that way to be authentic. Strange...

So I did some more digging.

It seems the default preamp hardness for authentic is 9 on the amps I'm using. For whatever reason my patches have values from 7.5 - 8 usually, a few 8.5. Upping preamp hardness to 9 with authentic seems to help a bit for my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom