Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

CLIPPAGE!!!!!

Mark IV and Suhr Veteran 30. First part is FW19 and the second part is Quantum. It's doing something to the dynamics right? When I played it I felt like the amp was a lot brighter but when I recorded it, it was equal brightness. It's not necessarily easily audible but when I'm palm muting the low end is tighter.

Niiiiiice!

Am I supposed to hear any difference?

CLIPPAGE!!!!!

Mark IV and Suhr Veteran 30. First part is FW19 and the second part is Quantum. It's doing something to the dynamics right? When I played it I felt like the amp was a lot brighter but when I recorded it, it was equal brightness. It's not necessarily easily audible but when I'm palm muting the low end is tighter.

Niiiiiice!

woohoo I can hear a difference! :) what I hear as a difference is in the second half of the clip, you're playing three chords and the third chord twice right? between the first and the second time you play the third chord there is like a bubble of bass bursting, acting kind of as a bass tail to the riff. this could be from gate settings or whatever, but when you compare it with the same part in the quantum version, there's less of a "bubble of bass bursting tail" (lol) between the repeats of the last chord in the chord sequence.

I'm talking about the low end pop happening between 0:16-0:17, and 0:17-0:18. now compare those pops to the quantum version at 0:45-0:46, and 0:46-0:47. there's a difference.

but even though it's a difference it could just as easly be from differeces in gain or other stuff influencing the gate, making the quantum version seem tighter from pushing the gate more, which results in less low end pops and a tighter low end because the gate is now more aggressive.

that's the difference I can hear for now, I need to listen to the clip some more.

Edit: it's almost as if it sounds tighter because the low end is somehow better in sync with the rest. in the first clip it sounds like the low end is falling a bit behind, while in the quantum version the low end, low/high mids and high end sounds more in sync, like happening at the same time.

I may be wrong though because I think it's natural that the low end is a fraction behind, it's suppose to be that way. Also I'm not really sure if it's even possible to hear that the low end is a bit behind the rest, maybe I'm fooled by knowing that high end travels faster than low end, but whatever the case might be, that's the feeling I get from the quantum version:

the low end, low/high mids and high end sounds more in sync. I kind of think I'm wrong though, because that sounds a bit gooped to me.

I can hear the difference though, but I doubt that's what's happening :D

Last edited:
It definitely feels different!

The HF/LF resonance and slope in the amp block don't appear to do anything anymore- is this intentional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HF/LF resonance and slope in the amp block don't appear to do anything anymore- is this intentional?

Or supply sag and xformer match.

Are these not yet integrated into the new firmware or will they be defunct?

Wow....sounds great - every time you guys release firmware I think to myself "no way it'll be better" - wrong :)
On a (possibly) related note, backing up using fractal it fails every time I try to backup all banks. It seems to fail with a time out message between banks a&b, and also between banks b&c - in other words the time out message displays (and the backup fails) between those banks. The axe fx needs to be turned off and on before trying again.
Workaround is to back up each bank individually. This was on the xl+ - I didn't try it on the mk2.

Thanks
Pauly

Or supply sag and xformer match.

Are these not yet integrated into the new firmware or will they be defunct?

I haven't had the time to check this FW out yet. Can someone else confirm if that is the case?

If this is the case no control over LF resonance will probably affect me as I mostly use the Axe through a Matrix Power amp and in to a cab. Having the cab's low frequency resonance dialled in has made it sound great. Not really sure how you'd compensate for it in other ways, but I've not tried the FW yet.

Updated and spent 3 hours testing and improving most of my 120+ presets! Wow, I'm gonna slay at Harley Fest this weekend!
Besides the awesome harmonics oozing out of every note and overall wow sound, the feel is improved from the harmonic bloom which is totally touch expressive!

Before I dive in, can you give an example of what you had to do generally to your presets to make them work after the update? By this I mean, was it just level, or did the update screw with the basic tone/sound to the point that a lot of tweaking was required? I don't have as many working presets as you do, maybe 40 or so, but I worry a little about the workload if the update sends all my gigging presets out of whack. Plus, I tend to do all my editing via Axe-Edit, and in this beta, that's probably a no-no at this point.

Wonderful Fw , for me it shines even better on low and mid gain amps , just creamier with tight bottom end ;)

Quantum sounds soo GooD !

Glad to see the G3 name in the amp block..is gone (at least in this beta)
is it been G3`d.... who cares.. Dos it sound good ? Hellyeah ;)

Roll off the volume on the Marshall amps. Hear the "hair". Modelers normally can't do this.

A major riot is about to start here in Brazil. All my friends want to hear the new sounds on the Quantum Axe FX now. Talk about a marital problem when all these guys show up at my house later tonight to try the Quantum. FAS what did you do? LOL . Thanks Cliff, you are great. Love my Axe FX.

Last edited:
At the risk of stirring up a storm, there are plenty of sychophantic gushing comments here, even people saying how great the update is without having tried it, but regardless of that, I really can't hear a difference in the posted clip either.

Agreed.

There's a clearly noticeable difference for the better in the last half of the clip here!

Loaded it up last night and reset my amp and cab blocks on all my patches , Holy cow Quantum Leap for sure !! Couldn't stop playing it ! I'll suffer today for not sleeping :)

So, I've reloaded the FW and started from a blank preset to make sure there aren't any gremlins being carried over. I still can't get the hi/low resonance parameters and slope parameter in the amp block to function at all. The sag and xformer match also don't do anything. I've tried this on the fas modern, jcm 800, Das Metall and 6160II models.

Any one else able to reproduce this?

Back
Top Bottom