Axe FX II One-on-One Training

Big Joe Daddy

Experienced
I've had the Axe II for almost a month now. Day by day I'm becoming more and more pleased with this black box. Last week I had the good fortune to spend two long days+ with Scott Peterson in an intense one-on-one training session that covered a long punch list that I'd put together in an effort the tame the beast. Now keep in mind, much of the training we went through covered issues that would be considered basic for some of you. But it my case, as a rookie, the help that Scott provided was superb. As mentioned, we spent two days+ going over everything from Axe Edit, setting up templates, dialing in cabinets and mics, scratch building presets, configuring expression pedals, programming the MFC-101, balancing preset levels, complete review of the I/O menus, saving effects blocks, and on and on..... In addition to the desktop monitors, we had the luxury of auditioning all our work through the PA system as well, since our entire PA is setup in my rehearsal room at my house.

Eventually, I ended up with my rig tweaked and dialed in to a turn and burn state. Absolutely lovely. A couple days after Scott returned home, I rehearsed with my band with the new setup (last Wednesday). I let our other guitar player run with my Ultra while I played through my II. We had a ball. I think I've made a convert out of the other guitar player. He loved the Ultra with his Strat.

More importantly, I want to tip my hat to Scott Peterson. He is a HUGE talent and was really a pleasure to work with. He's great teacher, patient, thorough, generous, and sooooooo skilled at that black box. His experience as a professional musician along with his 'techno' skills was a perfect recipe. He enabled me to 'fast lane' the learning process to the point that what I learned in two days would have taken me weeks or months to learn on my own. Now I can get back to playing guitar. :D

Scott, along with a lot of other generous souls here on the forum, have been a big help to me and I thank you. I also want to publicly thank Scott for all the work he invested in me and for being the great person that he is. He's the 'genuine article' as he calls it. Just a great guy. We really hit it off in the couple of days we spent together. It's a privilege to call him my friend. Many, many thanks Scott.

Now let's rock!

Wow - Joe, that's heady praise. Thanks so much.

Joe is an inspirational guy that is very focused, very smart and very determined. He's got his act together and it was a pleasure to hang out with him and his family at his casa for an extended weekend, break bread, even hit a concert ("...so happy together!!!!!!"), and work with the black box as deep in the rabbit hole as you can get. He has a distinct advantage of having his PA set up right in the *very* cool room to work with. We attacked a very ambitious list of 'to do' items in a very concentrated and determined way and accomplished almost everything in great detail. It was intense, yet Joe kept it loose and fun and we had a good amount of down time to just sit and talk about life too. It was a great time.

I cannot thank him enough for his hospitality and came away having learned a lot about things beyond even the magical black box. Once you get to know Joe, you will be friends. He is the real deal. I am proud to know the man.

And playing with that wicked sweet PRS of his all weekend wasn't so bad either. ;) :D

What are some of the best tips you got?
I think one of the best little gems I came away with was the process of setting up a template that I can use for all my patches (or at least most of them). Putting everything together in a sequential and logical order makes everything more familiar. That makes edits and tweaks a whole lot easier because when you drill down on a patch, everything is there in the same location.

Next in line would be getting my arms around Axe Edit. The ability to save effects blocks, amps, etc for future use is the bomb. I don't know about you guys but after auditioning about a gazillion effects block options and amp tweaks, my brain starts to get muddy. On the other hand, with Axe Edit, when I spend 2 hours dialing in a delay I really like, I can just save it in Axe-Edit for future use.

Third on the list was probably learning the endless variety of options for configuring controllers, in my case a couple Mission expression pedals. One ended up being the best sounding wah pedal I've ever heard. :D The other is a throttle for any one (or multiples) of the effects blocks in the chain. I'm sure there's a more technically correct term for this but basically pushing the 'Gas' pedal squeezes a varying amount of delay, verb, rotary, flanger, or whatever.....into the mix. Heel down pulls it all out of the mix to a predetermined minimum. Somewhere in the middle is the proverbial sweet spot. It's just very slick to be able to dial these blocks in on the fly. I can easily choose which blocks to include in the 'Gas' pedal arrangement, or leave them independently controlled by a switch on the MFC-101.

This probably sounds like blabber at this point, for which I apologize. If anyone wants some additional detail, I can pop off a couple screen shots to clarify.

At the end of the day....I'm stoked!

Last edited:
Very cool! I recall that when I first got an Axe-Fx, I was sometimes close to despair and asked around for consultance.
Good to see it's available these days. And with Scott you got yourself a top teacher rightaway.

Scott, Mark, Yek...any of these guys could offer this service online and charge a nice fee. I would be happy to pay it for such a session. I'm not pressuring any of you, probably just stating the obvious. What these guys do make this forum one of the best on the web, period!

I think one of the best little gems I came away with was the process of setting up a template that I can use for all my patches (or at least most of them). Putting everything together in a sequential and logical order makes everything more familiar. That makes edits and tweaks a whole lot easier because when you drill down on a patch, everything is there in the same location.

Next in line would be getting my arms around Axe Edit. The ability to save effects blocks, amps, etc for future use is the bomb. I don't know about you guys but after auditioning about a gazillion effects block options and amp tweaks, my brain starts to get muddy. On the other hand, with Axe Edit, when I spend 2 hours dialing in a delay I really like, I can just save it in Axe-Edit for future use.

Third on the list was probably learning the endless variety of options for configuring controllers, in my case a couple Mission expression pedals. One ended up being the best sounding wah pedal I've ever heard. :D The other is a throttle for any one (or multiples) of the effects blocks in the chain. I'm sure there's a more technically correct term for this but basically pushing the 'Gas' pedal squeezes a varying amount of delay, verb, rotary, flanger, or whatever.....into the mix. Heel down pulls it all out of the mix to a predetermined minimum. Somewhere in the middle is the proverbial sweet spot. It's just very slick to be able to dial these blocks in on the fly. I can easily choose which blocks to include in the 'Gas' pedal arrangement, or leave them independently controlled by a switch on the MFC-101.

This probably sounds like blabber at this point, for which I apologize. If anyone wants some additional detail, I can pop off a couple screen shots to clarify.

At the end of the day....I'm stoked!
Thanks for the reply.
Those are good ideas.

That's fantastic! It's so great we have people of Scott's caliber here in the forum. I wish I could hang out with a Fractal Wizard and shave off the learning curve! Maybe in the future Scott or Matt or Cliff could shoot some video tutorials.

Kevin

Hmmm .... he looks a bit low fat/high protein diet to me .... did you count your ponies/horses after he left? :)
Fact is he did ride around on our mule. ;)

Mule.jpeg

Ok so the training was good and all which is a no brainer considering Scott was there.

But what I am getting out of this thread is... we need a tour of this house/compound!!!!!

:)

+1. We already know Scott is a great teacher with mad skills and a generous spirit...show us this fantastic room already!

Back
Top Bottom