Axe Fx II, It's not Hype (IMO)

Here's something to ponder: pretend you're a diving judge, and you give the first diver a 10. What will you do when the next one does a better dive?

Sometimes it's a good idea to keep a little something in reserve. Just sayin'....

the "firmware comments" were probably just the users' way of saying thanks. axe-fx updates were well appreciated by many (including myself), especially when new sims were added. Some nice updates to the machine were made over 3-4 years or so.

On the other hand, didn't think "kenp's" comment was that bad. Was it worthy of 13 pages of retort/abuse? Imo, no. Just a weird 1st post for someone to make, imho.

anyway.... people have surely made their point now. The anxious wait for the axeII to drop probably has something to do with it :D

Here's something to ponder: pretend you're a diving judge, and you give the first diver a 10. What will you do when the next one does a better dive?

Sometimes it's a good idea to keep a little something in reserve. Just sayin'....

Totally agree with you on the troll thing, time will tell. On the above comment not so much. If you are truly an unbiased judge critiquing on the merits of the dive and point system then the first diver must have deserved the 10 for what was most likely a close to perfect dive. If someone comes up later and betters it, then you failed on the first judging or the scoring system has flaws where it cannot adequately score a dive. Position in line of the diver should not matter at all.

Last edited:
I love my Axe FX Ultra. It has cured my GAS -almost. Well, my gas is developing for Axe FX II, as it is part of the ultimate quest of the guitar player for the ultimate tone. I haven't even heard the II yet, and I bought the Ultra without hearing it as well!
I know I am 99% there with th Ultra, and I have been there with my many valve amps, but it is all part of our culture and sport as guitar nerds! Change keep us fresh.
I am excited that the product continues to evolve. I value the input from this community, and I take opinions from a broad range of people before making my own judgement. I love how collaborative people on the forum are (most of the time) and I love to hang out with people as passionate as I am.
I am thrilled that my obsession goes some way to paying for Cliff's obsession! The level of investment he has made to improve this product is far beyond my expectations.

Nuff said!

Last edited:
This is the challenge Scott. How long will it take for a new forum member to get to know, really know, a particular person's taste, talent, experience and preference? Add to that the time required to understand their style of communication. Then multiply all of that by the number of active posters on a particular forum. All of this is done without face to fact contact and the information we acquire through body language. What you are suggesting can be very difficult to achieve. I've been on the forum for at least four years and I can't keep everyone straight any more.

I think I understand Jay's concern. I have seen, for example, "pickup of the month" cycles happen over and over again for years on guitar forums. Today's "best PAF replica" often becomes a has-been six months later when something new pops up. A particular vendor will gain prominence for a year and then fade as the pack moves on to the next latest and greatest winder.

I do think this is an area worth giving careful thought.

Terry.

Here's my take on your points.

I think 'getting the lay of the land' is a now a bygone concept. I come from a different era, one where you entered a 'room' quietly on the Internet (aka BBS and then 'newsgroups' back in the day) the majority of folks used their real names, got to know who is who and what is what; how folks interacted on a given platform within that specific group dynamic and then dipped your toes in - respectfully - posting an introduction with your back story and adding context to who you were and what you were about.

Nowadays, folks hit the ground with all their guns a blazing behind a anonymous screen name, and then play the martyr card at a drop of a hat once they get blow-back for whatever they posted (normally negative). They can then slap the 'fan boi' label on everyone without hesitation and laugh about it on their own home forum (usually on a counter board) with out even blinking. Trolling, baiting, all sorts of nuances to the formula; but it's common. Go check any fitness, sports, camera, car enthusiast, gamer, etc.. forum and watch it. Any popular general interest forum will exhibit this in an almost constant, churning cycle.

The 'flavor of the month' club is another way to oversimplify and categorize folks you don't agree with in a condescending manner. For an on topic review of it, go back to my "It's a Monster..." thread on TGP from 2007. Read the comments starting about the 3rd page and follow the negative responses in particular. You'll see a tremendous volume of such 'ahh, it's just the flavor of the month' as the primary 'knock' I took on that thread (which spawned 3 1000+ sequel threads) throughout. Yet four full years later, it's the same flavor of ice cream for me and many of the naysayers are now pro-Axe-FX owners. FWIW, I have the same boutique PAF pickups in my Melancon since 2006 so... that's 5 years of kool-aid there. :D

All IMHO, YMMV.

Position in line of the diver should not matter at all.
It won't, if the judge is acting fairly and rationally in accordance with the rules. But if the original Axe-Fx deserved a "9.5," as a number of users claimed (and I tend to agree), then the notion of even a single dramatic improvement - not to mention literally dozens of them - stretches credulity, don't you think?

It won't, if the judge is acting fairly and rationally in accordance with the rules. But if the original Axe-Fx deserved a "9.5," as a number of users claimed (and I tend to agree), then the notion of even a single dramatic improvement - not to mention literally dozens of them - stretches credulity, don't you think?

I never liked attaching a 10 point 'scale' to approximate 'where the Axe-FX was' in relation to amp tones and such. Precisely for your reasons stated. But I'll point out that if the original Axe-FX (firmware v1.x) was 9.5 on a 10 point scale, then how where 10 major version firmware versions later even possible? Is it now a 19.5 out of 10? ;) :D

Attaching numbers like a judge at a figure skating contest is a fool's game IMHO. It's a box of tools. The tools inside the box have developed in major ways along it's maturity path both in function and in capabilities along the way. Comparing the 3.xx box to the 11.xx box is nothing less than mind blowing. I don't think that's a stretch in any way.

I never liked attaching a 10 point 'scale' to approximate 'where the Axe-FX was' in relation to amp tones and such. Precisely for your reasons stated. But I'll point out that if the original Axe-FX (firmware v1.x) was 9.5 on a 10 point scale, then how where 10 major version firmware versions later even possible? Is it now a 19.5 out of 10? ;) :D

Attaching numbers like a judge at a figure skating contest is a fool's game IMHO. It's a box of tools. The tools inside the box have developed in major ways along it's maturity path both in function and in capabilities along the way. Comparing the 3.xx box to the 11.xx box is nothing less than mind blowing. I don't think that's a stretch in any way.

Some things and some people stretch boundries...... no matter how great the rule or standard, there will always be an exception :) but we all need a basis to work from :)

Saying he was "disappointed" is construed as "entering the forum with all guns blazing"??? I'm damn sure that if he'd signed up just to wax lyrical about the Axe after hearing the synth block for 3 minutes, no-one would have taken issue or questioned his credentials whatsoever.

That's part of the evolution of technology. In 1969 the AGC (Apollo Guidance Computer) was a 10 out of 10, the best that NASA could produce....with 2kb RAM, 32kb ROM and 1 MHz processor (0,001 GHz)....
Once in a while we all need to revise our measures and rankings..

Saying he was "disappointed" is construed as "entering the forum with all guns blazing"??? I'm damn sure that if he'd signed up just to wax lyrical about the Axe after hearing the synth block for 3 minutes, no-one would have taken issue or questioned his credentials whatsoever.

I'm not questioning any credentials. With the 'all guns blazing' comment, I wasn't referring to him specifically, more making a comment of forum behaviors in general. Let's not paraphrase me into a smack fest; I don't have time to play today! :D

Nowadays, folks hit the ground with all their guns a blazing behind a anonymous screen name, and then play the martyr card at a drop of a hat.....They can then slap the 'fan boi' label on everyone without hesitation and laugh about it on their own home forum (usually on a counter board) with out even blinking. Trolling, baiting, all sorts of nuances to the formula; but it's common. Go check any fitness, sports, camera, car enthusiast, gamer, etc.. forum and watch it. Any popular general interest forum will exhibit this in an almost constant, churning cycle.
Thus my years-old argument for a limited access, tiered forum.

As a first post in a forum full of Axe users don't you find that he was just a little disrespectful? He didn't seem interested before or he would made other posts beforehand. and I wonder how his friend feels that liked the Axe? maybe this was peer presure to steer him in some direction? who knows unless he makes more post to clarify. but it does seem a little ego was involved or he would'nt have annouced his experience to back up his "0" reputation here. (and yes we all have ego where we admit it or not) just my opinion

"It's the context, the perspective and the history with that person's taste, talent, experience and preferences that makes it work"....."but married to context and posting history so that you know what the poster is about and his/her preferences and experience goes far" - This equals credentials! If you don't want to play, then don't set up your own game! :)

Last edited:
I believe the OP took some flak too but I'm not sure why??? It looked to me like kenjf was the wet blanket not 6L6C?

And I chalk this thread up to timing, on the cusp of the release, it does *seem* like there are more shills and trolls out.

Back
Top Bottom