Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 5.00 Up

When you're a rock star,
You get to party hard.
Champagne and caviar,
AxeFx and fancy guitar.

That's just how I thought it'd be,
Except the party's not for me,
Cause some punk opened a credit card with my ID.
Now I sold my Axe by God,
I'm playing thru a Line6 Pod.

Awesome.

5.0 loaded up perfect. Normal load time.
Fixed Shiva Clean per Cliff. In business ;)

Good news is that none of my patches sounded or were radically altered. Some are more visceral than others now. Wasn't a fan of Cameron Hi, that has changed, Freidman BE just keeps getting better.

I just need to figure out how to use the new added goodness controls

Thanks team FAS for the goods ;)

Last edited:
Having trouble-V5 not installing. Axe Edit is sending the file to my Axe FX II, but its not opening/installing. Axe Edit gives me a message "check midi settings, Firmware is the same" or something. The axe says Transfer error than just goes back to the last preset. help?

Ok scratch that. Took a few tries but it installed! I'll take it through its paces later...going away tomorrow with wife and kids....this will be my Thursday...thanks cliff and co

All I can say is I thought the AXE II couldnt get any better at Version 4, I have had my unit for 3 weeks and now V 5. V5 adds some special magic to the black Box !!!! I could not be happier with the improvements you made to the II .... My Plexi half stack just got retired......as soon as I find the right FRFR solution
Thanks Fractal for all your hard work.

Scott

Wow! It's just like they said, you really don't need to change your presets much with this update, maybe a bit of basic EQ and level. The fun begins when you start cranking the motor drive. At around 2-3 your guitar begins to sing, 5+ ... it breathes fire!! :) Also, the "Dyn" tab in the amp block is brilliant. Supply sag and Dynamics adjusts your feel the way you like it ... the xfrmr match ... I know it was already in the advanced tab but it was a nice touch to add it to the Dynamics page, it is VERY powerful now. To me it's kinda like a SC-HB mix knob ... spanky to thick. At one point I could have sworn my bareknuckle HBs morphed into single coils. :shock OK gotta go play some more, even though I should go to sleeeep, life is tough ;)

Big thank you to Cliff and team !!

My Axe II is freezing up after 5.0, at least on my own presets. It's never done this ever before, since 1.x. Power cycle brings it back to life, but it has frozen about 5 consecutive times after approx 3 to 6 minutes. Audio cuts off, screen and even input LEDs freeze in place until I hit the power switch.

The firmware update itself went fine for me. I did notice it's different this time in that it didn't automaticallty reboot after the flash, instead it says "Turn off power, wait 5 seconds and turn on again".

I was unable to make it freeze up over 30 minutes when set to the stock Friedman BE preset and a few others, but it froze on two of my own presets based on the same routing template I use. It seems to freeze in about 3 to 6 minutes regardless of whether I'm changing parameters or not even touching anything.

I would attach a .syx of my preset except it keeps freezing before I can get Axe-Edit open. I'll keep trying, and in the meantime I may try re-flashing 4.0 to see what happens. I'm nervous about flashing though.. will I brick my eeprom if it freezes while flashing?

I know... I should email support... just dropping a note here fyi.

My Axe II is freezing up after 5.0, at least on my own presets. It's never done this ever before, since 1.x. Power cycle brings it back to life, but it has frozen about 5 consecutive times after approx 3 to 6 minutes. Audio cuts off, screen and even input LEDs freeze in place until I hit the power switch.

The firmware update itself went fine for me. I did notice it's different this time in that it didn't automaticallty reboot after the flash, instead it says "Turn off power, wait 5 seconds and turn on again".

I was unable to make it freeze up over 30 minutes when set to the stock Friedman BE preset and a few others, but it froze on two of my own presets based on the same routing template I use. It seems to freeze in about 3 to 6 minutes regardless of whether I'm changing parameters or not even touching anything.

I would attach a .syx of my preset except it keeps freezing before I can get Axe-Edit open. I'll keep trying, and in the meantime I may try re-flashing 4.0 to see what happens. I'm nervous about flashing though.. will I brick my eeprom if it freezes while flashing?

I know... I should email support... just dropping a note here fyi.

What is the CPU % on your own patches? Did it increase?

Downloaded -- dynamics are very alive and addictive. Fingers and ears are loving it. Outstanding job!

1 hour on v5 - comments:
- Feels more direct.
- I hear a more natural texture to the tones.
- The overall sound of my patches seems more "round" / "thick"
- I'm getting better sustain on gain patches and I heard several instance where my lead notes and chords trail off more nicely than I'd remembered previously (perhaps the gate changes at play here).
- I have an easier time to play leads at continuous and even volume.
- Was getting some great controlled feedback on some patches even through headphones.

I check myself closely for "hype factor" when trying out upgrades because it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and hear all kinds of stuff that's not there. Even with my excitement clamped I think with v5, there's definitely an overall tone and feel improvement going on.

I've had my II for a few weeks and was having to work hard to get my hi-gain stuff coming out as good as I had with my Ultra - with v5 - I'm loving it from the get go - I'm getting great hi-gain sounds withint the harshness that was worrying me in v4 (though I was learning to dial these in with v4). The mid + low gain tones are fantastic out of the box as with v4 (I never got these dialed in correctly on the Ultra though I know it is possible).

"Keef" with Vibro as mentioned earlier is right threre without much knob turning!

Hopefully the AxeEdit updates comes soon (I hate front panel tweaking).

Thanks FAS! V5 seems like a winner to me.

Last edited:
1 hour on v5 - comments:
- Feels more direct.
- I hear a more natural texture to the tones.
- The overall sound of my patches seems more "round" / "thick"
- I'm getting better sustain on gain patches and I heard several instance where my lead notes and chords trail off more nicely than I'd remembered previously (perhaps the gate changes at play here).
- I have an easier time to play leads at continuous and even volume.

Thanks FAS! V5 seems like a winner to me.

+1

LOVING how single coils work with the clean and low to medium gain sounds. Have barely scratched the surface but man are these tones addicting! Thank you!

BTW... Is it just me but the two things I "feel" are most changed is the sustain and when I do bends its just more defined from what I remember. Heck, could simply be my imagination. :)

Did you try to flash with 5 again?

Not yet. I need to get to bed now but I'll be into this tomorrow night.

btw.. I did mess around with some stock presets, love the sound and feel so far and all the new controls in the new amp block tab are great! Dynamics galore.

Back
Top Bottom