Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 3.03 Up

Well, I owned a JVM410H and a 1960B cab for 2 years from new, which I only sold because it didn't suit the style of music I was playing there and then, otherwise I'd have kept it. Anyway, I still have recordings from back then, and I've A/B'd the Brit JVM amp against them, and if there's a difference, it's subtle ... meaning that I think it's incredibly accurate, and I'd go as far as to say it's my new favourite amp in the Axe FX II. On top of that, I get to EQ and mould the JVM channel I always loved with the kinds of EQ and flexibility Marshall never allowed to begin with, giving me the possibility of the tone I've wanted for a long time.

I'm totally stoked about the 3.03 firmware, and I love the Brit JVM. Totally sold, I guess is what I am trying to say lol.

This update could (and probably should) have been called 4.0. The high end sizzle and low end body are much more controlled and present... Great freaking update... I was drooling over both the Mesa 2010 and JVM... Now Cliff has delivered both! You rock Cliff!

Since the amp sim is now twice the resolution, does that change the 48Khz output to 96Khz? Also, can we now call it a 40-bit processor?
No and no. Only amp's internal sample rate and filter resolution changed. Output from the amp block, and axe-fx, is still the same hertz and bit wise.

Haha, just when I finally finish planning all my "4 amp sims" patches for my future Axe-Fx II, Cliff goes and forces us to make a choice between 4 regular or 2 high-res amp sims per patch.

Gotta love having all these 1st world problems. Thanks for the new update, Cliff! :mrgreen:

I liked each and every firmware version since I bought the Axe-Fx, Ultra and II.

For people new to the II, 3.03 is a particular great way to start off.
Solves bugs, expands the amps and it improves the allround tone once again.

Axe-Edit is getting better and better too.

Is there anything left to be put in fw 4?

Last edited:
Bloody hell another update, I've only had the axe fx 2 for a few weeks and thats 2 updates so far. If I update is that gonna mess up my presets I have created and stored?

Thanks
Paul

Ye sir! Get used to it, we like to call it "the sound of progress". ;-)

The JVM is a great sim, easily my favorite of the Marshalls. I goosed up the power supply filtering as well as a few other parameters in the advanced menu, added a bit of resonance and a little graphic EQ, and I'm good to go with some great high gain tones.

I was sceptical when I heard this model was being added because I haven't liked anything Marshall has put out since the JCM800, but I'm really glad it's in here, and I think it sounds better than the real thing. It probably helps that I'm pushing 750 watts through a pair of Recto 2x12's loaded with EV's, which no tube head is going to be able to compete with... but that is what I like about the Axe - with the right rig, you can exceed the real thing by a good margin in many cases, not just in sheer volume, but also tone, flexibility, punch, and dynamics.

I ran it around 3-3.5 FWIW. It's capable of pretty high gain so I probably wouldn't go much higher than that unless you are running the preamp cleaner.

I thought initially it would be redundant based off of all the other JCM800 variants we have, but the JVM sounds very good. I've only listened to the new firmware via cans, so I don't have a complete test, but I will say it's noticeably cleaner as far as note definition. I'm able to add more gain and retain that sense of 'can hear every note'.

One issue I ran into: I've done every FW upgrade seamlessly, but this one for some reason hung at 'verifying' for a very long time (5mins +); most of my upgrades were done within a minute. By that time, I knew either it was done, and I was good, or it's hopelessly hung, and I'm screwed. Took a chance and bounced it, and it came back with good firmware.

But I was very nervous...

FYI.

Ron

I owned the JVM410h for 2-3 years and it was my favourite amp i ever owned at that point, coming from a dual recto head and a bunch of other big name amps.
What i like most about the JVM OD2 orange mode is the Clarity at very high gain settings.

I recorded a solo on a friends track the other night and the result was very very close to the real thing, his comments were that it sounded just like the JVM but recorded better than we were ever able to mic it.

This amp is a fantastic addition to the axe-fx, great job cliff.

I got a really sweet mildly-crunchy OD tone out of the JVM tonight while I was playing with the new firmware...I put the tonestack to "Pre" and dialed down the "Input Trim" until I got the amount of breakup I liked, as well as Drive and Master adjustments...great amp for sure.

Am liking the hi-res a lot; did a few tests with my existing presets by bringing in another amp block to hear the differences between them, and kudos to Cliff and Fractal for another great update. The hi-res amps really sound more 'alive' and have a 'forward presence' over the lower res ones...those are the first terms/words that came to my mind when hearing 3.03 for the first time.

Last edited:
I just downloaded it into my unit and I'm on 3.04. The file is also not on the website just the forum so it looks like there may have been a last minute tweak or fix.

After all, as Charles H. Duell (the Commissioner at U.S. Office of Patents) said, “everything that can be invented has been invented”. It was 1899 ;D
Sorry, gotta call "myth" on that one. This story is often repeated, but it's not true. Duell ran the patent office during a period when the number of patents granted was rapidly accelerating. He was aware of—and somewhat in awe of—the pace of scientific discovery.

I got a really sweet mildly-crunchy OD tone out of the JVM tonight while I was playing with the new firmware...I put the tonestack to "Pre" and dialed down the "Input Trim" until I got the amount of breakup I liked, as well as Drive and Master adjustments...great amp for sure.

Am liking the hi-res a lot; did a few tests with my existing presets by bringing in another amp block to hear the differences between them, and kudos to Cliff and Fractal for another great update. The hi-res amps really sound more 'alive' and have a 'forward presence' over the lower res ones...those are the first terms/words that came to my mind when hearing 3.03 for the first time.

Cool...what were your drive and master settings...what speaker?

Thanks

Who is this "master Volume" and where is everyone driving him? Some kind of hidden guitar-tone-valley with zen and karma? I don't understand this. Don't misunderstand me, I'm humble for all information about him. I also want to become a student of this mysthic majesty. I hear everywhere about people sounding better after they have driven him to this specific location. Please tell me.
The only thing I know of is that they have to push the tubes of master volume. I think maybe the training is too hard for me.
Micro-Hydro27.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom