Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.00 Public Beta

I feel like i'm hearing crackling & fizzies now when you are getting close to peaking the outputs even before the red clipping light comes on.. i've had to back up the main levels of my amps on all my patches to clean em up

just happening a lot sooner than with prev. FW.
sounds great though.. the drives sound awesome, even the ones that aren't G3'd.. like the Full OD, and the Ruckus, it actually sounds awesome immediately without having to fiddle with the knobs now.

Last edited:
So we're working on 19, and we haven't even got all the models updated to 18 yet? Am I missing something?

Yes, the fact that Cliff works tirelessly to keep improving things like the amp modeling and drive blocks. Its a lengthy process to measure and model each amp with the G3 modeling, and sometimes those amps need to be re-obtained, because as huge of collection as he has, I doubt he has several hundred amps models laying on the shelf.

Instead of holding up progress on features a lot of people have been asking for, such as drive blocks, Cliff went ahead and moved forward with the firmware, giving us the best possible features while the work continues on the amps

and again, your getting all this for FREE, so maybe cut the guy a break on getting the amp models done.

Thank You! definitely appreciate the added clarity, and the drives are much more realistic now, if not better then the real ones.

Thankyou FAS - just installed - drives are sounding good.

One question: The BBPre now sounds way loud compared to the other drives. I used to set my BBPre level to 6 or 7 against a clean amp under previous firmwares; but in 19, to keep the volume roughly level, I have to bring the BBPre drive level all the way down to 1 or less. The other drives I've tried so far don't exhibit this. Is this correct?, or is it a bug? Regardless, the BBPre sounds great so no big wup really - just an observation.

Yes. Version numbers are shifted to indicate major changes in code. In this case the major change is in how the drive block is implemented. A major version number change was, therefore, deemed appropriate.

I get that. I'm just a little concerned about the possibility of development 'losing interest' in a newly-developed feature and moving on to something else before the former is complete.

I don't like 18 'instantly'; I will update to it eventually, but I know it will take a lot of time to re-do my patches to get them to suit. I understand that, and am not bothered by it - as you say, progress. However, it makes sense to wait until all the models are updated, so I only have to do it once (I prefer the 'big gulp' approach).

But we're 12 dot releases into 18 and we're not done yet. And now we're onto something different.

Thankyou FAS - just installed - drives are sounding good.

One question: The BBPre now sounds way loud compared to the other drives. I used to set my BBPre level to 6 or 7 against a clean amp under previous firmwares; but in 19, to keep the volume roughly level, I have to bring the BBPre drive level all the way down to 1 or less. The other drives I've tried so far don't exhibit this. Is this correct?, or is it a bug? Regardless, the BBPre sounds great so no big wup really - just an observation.

I wonder this to.. ??

I get that. I'm just a little concerned about the possibility of development 'losing interest' in a newly-developed feature and moving on to something else before the former is complete.

I don't like 18 'instantly'; I will update to it eventually, but I know it will take a lot of time to re-do my patches to get them to suit. I understand that, and am not bothered by it - as you say, progress. However, it makes sense to wait until all the models are updated, so I only have to do it once (I prefer the 'big gulp' approach).

But we're 12 dot releases into 18 and we're not done yet. And now we're onto something different.

I totally get where you're coming from. This is one of the reason I'm most likely going to stay on 18.08, and wait for the rest of the amps, and now the ODs.
Was hoping to get a response from Cliff in my post, or some kind of update. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/100113-remaining-amps-g3.html

Glad to hear it. A bandmate from 25 years ago, used to use a Butler 4-knob and I always liked what it did to his basic Twin tone. But I couldn't make the existing model work for me. I'll revisit it now because of your report.

Thank you.

I couldn't really get a good sound out of it before - very wooly low end & muffled treble unless you cranked the treble up, then it got brittle. The stock setting has a noticeable mid-scoop compared to the 3-knob and the top end is more usable after the update.

The tapers are not correct in the beta so knob positions may be off -- adjust accordingly. NB: this was mentioned in the release notes. :)

G3'ing amps requires having the amps on-hand. Not all the amps in the unit are owned by Fractal, so some of the amps will take time to G3 as Fractal re-acquires them. This isn't an indication of anything having interest lost in it, just that it's not a blocking factor in the rest of the unit's features moving forward.

The tapers are not correct in the beta so knob positions may be off -- adjust accordingly. NB: this was mentioned in the release notes. :)

Thanks, ya, saw it in the release notes but didn't realize the not yet G3'd drives (BB) would be effected. I'll hold off level matching until the final release. Really enjoying the G3'd drives - they sound awesome.

Thanks, ya, saw it in the release notes but didn't realize the not yet G3'd drives (BB) would be effected. I'll hold off level matching until the final release. Really enjoying the G3'd drives - they sound awesome.

Try changing to a model with a different clipping type and then back to the BB. It helped me with similar issues on the T808 model.

G3'ing amps requires having the amps on-hand. Not all the amps in the unit are owned by Fractal, so some of the amps will take time to G3 as Fractal re-acquires them. This isn't an indication of anything having interest lost in it, just that it's not a blocking factor in the rest of the unit's features moving forward.

Exactly this. I'd bet money all the amps Fractal has on premises have all been G3'd at this point. The rest of the amps will probably trickle in slowly (one or two at a time) over the next few months+. If you're waiting solely for all amps to be G3'd you may be waiting a while as Fractal works to reacquire all the amps for hands-on processing.

It's also important to remember that the G3 algorithm update improves *all* amps regardless of their G3 status. The G3 designation just bumps it to "the next level".

Back
Top Bottom