Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.06 Released

They are both equally accurate. Short is an accurate model of newer "short plate" production tubes. Long is an accurate model of vintage "long plate" tubes.

So the next question would be, what are the differences? For example, does one break-up sooner than the other? Is one more compressed than the other? More/less bass, mids, highs, etc.? In my case, the amp. I use the most is the AC30, so what tubes would have been in the original JMI Vox's?

I've been reading some information about the differences and there seems to be all kinds of opinions. One comment was that long plate tubes are more prone to microphonic effects. I'm guessing that's not an issue in the Axe-Fx, unless of course you modelled that too. ;-)

I realize I can download the firmware and A/B them, but I always like to have as much information as possible before-hand.

BTW, thanks for replying to my last post!

Last edited:
So the next question would be, what are the differences? For example, does one break-up sooner than the other? Is one more compressed than the other? More/less bass, mids, highs, etc.? In my case, the amp. I use the most is the AC30, so what tubes would have been in the original JMI Vox's?

I've been reading some information about the differences and there seems to be all kinds of opinions. One comment was that long plate tubes are more prone to microphonic effects. I'm guessing that's not an issue in the Axe-Fx, unless of course you modelled that too. :)

I realize I can download the firmware and A/B them, but I always like to have as much information as possible before-hand.

BTW, thanks for replying to my last post!

I've used a bunch of NOS long plate tubes, and they sound amazing but definitely are more prone to microphonics (at least, in my experience with them). I have no idea why you would model microphonics with them. In the Axe, you get the benefit of the tube type without the downsides inherent to certain tubes. Win win.

There were a couple bugs as well as some improvements. IMHO this is the finest firmware we've ever produced. The new grid conduction modeling makes things "juicier".

That is what i noticed- Juicyer! Is is very obvious on the neck pickup. Two stone J351 with master cranked to ~8 is wet as hell :)

Found this which may be helpful;

LONG PLATES VS. SHORT PLATES

"The 12AX7/ECC83 comes in two main types (with some exceptions): 17mm Long Plates and 14mm Short Plates. It is important to know the differences between these tubes, since sound and performance can differ greatly between the two types. Long plate 12AX7s were the first tubes of this type ever produced. These include tubes by such makers as RCA, Mullard, Amperex, GE, Ken-Rad and so on. As a rule, Long Plates usually fetch higher prices than short plates. One of the first Long Plate 12ax7s is the Blackplate Ken-Rad, which is a very fine tube. Short plate 12ax7 tubes were first produced in the early 1960's by the likes of RCA, GE and so on, and then picked up by the European producers such as Philips, Mullard and Amperex. Companies developed short plates in an attempt to provide a longer lasting tube with resistance to noise and microphonics.

The main sonic differences between Long Plates and Short Plates can be summed up in three words: '3-D,' 'Lively,' and 'Open'. By and large, Long Plates have a bigger sound in guitar and audio amps than short plates (with exceptions.) However, Long Plates can sometimes be vulnerable to noise and microphonics. Short plates are more stable in guitar applications, although Long Plates usually do okay, especially when equipped with tube dampers. Sometimes the differences in sound between the two types can be subtle. It really depends on your taste and what you are going for. "

The Tubeking's Guide to NOS and Vintage Audio Tubes | eBay

The description of the parameter has been in the Axe-Fx II Manual for a while now. All the education is right there. Easy to search using any PDF reader. Yet people still did the "All Presets" function and were angry that amps in all their presets were reset.

There's the manual, the wiki, release notes, this forum, my site and live chat, and many other resources available. Yet the same questions are asked again and again. "Why is my USB level so quiet?" "How do I update firmware?" "What is FASlink?"

The Axe-Fx II is a complex device for sure. But people are spending a lot of time creating resources for people to look at. It is a bit frustrating when people say "yeah i see you wrote all that down somewhere, but just tell me the answer, I don't want to read." Yet we still do it and help out :)

I think the "All Presets" function was just too powerful for the general public, so it was taken away. I mean imagine if there was a "Delete All Presets" function... it's obvious what it would do, but some would still do it - either on purpose or accidentally - and then be in trouble. So along with the frustration of people not taking the time to understand, perhaps it's good that this was removed to prevent accidents as well.

Hi Chris;

Don't be too sorrowful ;-)

The problem with a lot of Axe-users is, that they don't consider, the Axe is a digital device like all the other digital devices, we all use every day.
The solution for that problem is so clear and simple (That's to all the other users except of you, Chris !):

- Make a backup of your system and your banks, EVERYTIME before you update a firmware !!! MAKE BACKUPS !!!
What else are you doing, when you install a new operating system on your computer, iPad, iPhone or what else?
Backups of your personal data!?
Better you would store all data on separate harddisks !!!
That's a professional kind of work !!!

- When you accidentally have reset ALL presets, load one or more presets back into your device !
- Save them, if you want to.
- Alternative load the whole bank back !
- When you only need to see your old settings of a preset, load a preset and make screenshots of all pages of the important blocks in your Axe-Edit !
It's simply done in a few minutes !
Don't save that (old) preset in the Axe-FX !
Now look at your screenshots and you can set every single parameter of your new preset in the Axe-FX to the old values if you want to.

The most important thing of all is:
First of all THINK !!!
THAN act !!!

AND:
There has been no answer, that wouldn't have been found in the doks on WiKi, Manual V15 and so on and so on ...
The only thing you have to do is to READ !!!

Best regards, Chris!
And thanks for your effort doing all your dokumentation!

Mike

They are both equally accurate. Short is an accurate model of newer "short plate" production tubes. Long is an accurate model of vintage "long plate" tubes.

I really like both of these a lot for different things. But, is there any chance we could get a "medium plate" FAS special? I don't care if it's accurate, authenticate, realistic, etc. I just find sometimes long isn't quite enough and short is a little too much. I can live happily without it but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

I've used a bunch of NOS long plate tubes, and they sound amazing but definitely are more prone to microphonics (at least, in my experience with them). I have no idea why you would model microphonics with them. In the Axe, you get the benefit of the tube type without the downsides inherent to certain tubes. Win win.

Oh Jeez here we go it's not authentic unless you get random micro phonics like every 7th time you turn on your AxeFx .\.lol There's the next thread ..not from you, but I can just see it now

I just bought my Fractal almost 3 weeks ago. Do they normally have this many firmware updates in such a short time?

No.

There are major updates, and then bugfixes of those in a short flurry afterwards.

They do amazing work, and of course, one can install new ones when they wish to do so.

I just bought my Fractal almost 3 weeks ago. Do they normally have this many firmware updates in such a short time?
The Axe-Fx II has been around for three and a half years. In that time, the firmware has gone through 17 major updates and about 70 minor updates.

I really like both of these a lot for different things. But, is there any chance we could get a "medium plate" FAS special? I don't care if it's accurate, authenticate, realistic, etc. I just find sometimes long isn't quite enough and short is a little too much. I can live happily without it but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Is there even a middle ground between short plate and long plate preamp tubes? Or is "short" and "long" just descriptors of something unrelated to each other?

TX Star Lead Sounds so much better after G3.

It's pretty much indistinguishable from my Actual Lonestar now. Kudos

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

We live in some amazing times to be guitar players.

Just lost 2 hours (of course "lost" is subjective) to USA Bright +.

Chewy is such a great descriptor and yes I know this was already previously G3'd.

Back
Top Bottom