Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.04 Public Beta

When I try to download the Mark1/2 18.04b link all I get is code text ??

What browser are you using? Try right-click, save as.

It's not an archive file, it's just the .SYX file, so if you have a default program set to read .SYX files, like MIDI-OX, it will load it.

Last edited:
In a way, yes. The clipping behavior is dependent upon the construction of the tube. So-called "long-plate" tubes clip differently than standard tubes. The "Modern" setting replicates a typical modern production tube. The clipping is more aggressive and the linear region is larger. "Vintage" has a smaller linear region and a softer cutoff characteristic. "Test" is a new algorithm that I've been working on that replicates the behavior of those revered "long-plate" tubes.

Well, that's neat! I hope we see more or even combinations down the road. Awesome upgrade!

So when do you start modeling an old Mullard 12ax7, or is that what vintage is? ;) Very cool. I have to admit though, I've pretty much forced myself to work within the parameters of TMB and presence and then using the speaker tab to dial the bass resonance the way I want on the IR. Using OH V3 raw mix IRs at the moment...modern and vintage flavors.

Thanks Cliff :) As far as the pre-amp tubes I like modern best overall especially on driven sounds. The test setting is very nice with clean amps IMO and can add a different flavor for gain also. Dynamically I think modern wins, then test, then vintage. Vintage is like going back to the recorded amp sound vs in the room. Great options - FAS never ceases to amaze!

Didn't think I would, but I LOVE the Modern/Vintage option. I've found some presets that actually work better with the vintage (not a lot, but a few) than the modern. Thanks, Cliff, for adding this!

Haven't had a chance to try this beta. How would you describe the differences in bass response?

modern=fat bouncy & dynamic, test=less fat but bouncy dynamic more clarity, vintage=less bounce & dynamics more mids

test adds more aggressive sound to some of my lead patches

Try this: find you Freidman patch and switch to test, then back the gain down a little :8

I am experiencing some noise/hiss on the test setting, when I change back to modern it disappears. All I did was to change the preamp tube type in my main rig.

I really like being able to chose between the types.

To my ears and in my brief experience at a moderate home volume through a real cab 'test' sounds slightly more scooped in a pleasing way with some amps, makes some palm mute chugging sound a bit bigger on the Rectos/5150 derivatives I've tried it on so far. I like it. Seems nice with cleans too (only tried Double Verb so far).

Back
Top Bottom